British Couple Outraged Over £9 Tin of Heinz Beans in Thailand

i just bought for 99 baht online    (i wonder if thai food is cheaper or same price in London? 🤔)

were they really "outragged"?   best to get blood pressure checked!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

That can is 129 Baht on Lazada (online). 

It is 101 baht at Tops for a 415gr tin and around the same price elsewhere.

I know Lazada and Shopee are often promoted here, but never found any food items cheaper than what it cost like for like in the local supermarkets.

And as @steven100 already pointed out, the price in the OP is for a pack of 4.

Pure clickbait OP, and the guy had his 2 minutes of fame.

Edited by CallumWK
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

a packet of Tim Tams in the US was spotted for around 314 baht,

What the hell are Tim Tams?  Sounds like something ladies use at a certain time of the month.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I am outraged a tin of beans in the U.K. is £1.60, only a couple years ago 50/60p, what excuse is used for the 100% increase ?

Google "greedflation"...

Edited by SeaBee
Link added

1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

Forget about bacon and beans the price of bacon in Thailand is outragous eventhough it is processed here from local pork?

Another example you give, ridiculous prices for ham and bacon, but I found the sulution, in Hua-Hin is a special shop for all types of pork.

There I now buy for little money 2 kinds of pork to make ham, or bacon.
Plenty of methods on YT how to prepare it, have been doing it for over half a year and never have to buy this from the shop again.

Highly recommended, you just need an oven that you can set to 90º C, and a temperature gauge to measure the meat during cooking in the oven.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

They need to buy the cheaper one ....    

it tastes ok .....

Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce 425g

Those local beans are quite acceptable and very cheap.  Heinz beans are also available at Villa Market for 138 baht and on Shopee for 109 baht.  The couple should shop around and not buy in shops with rip off prices for foreign tourists who are too lazy to figure out what the baht price means. If shop owners can find tourists stupid enough to pay those prices, who can blame them but vote with your feet.

Posted (edited)

Any imported foods that Thais don't eat or drink carry high import duties.  For instance, a bottle of scotch whiskey costs less than a mediocre bottle of wine, as generally Thais don't drink wine but are big whiskey drinkers, nor do many eat baked beans..If you want to eat and drink western style in Thailand, expect to pay high prices.

Edited by garzhe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

Daily Me granola is very good quality

Just curious, as someone who regularly eats granola for breakfast, what makes you say that particular brand is "very good quality"?

One of the problems I often encounter with Thai products is their nutrition information and ingredient labels often are vague and dubious at best, making it difficult to make any real judgments... And some local products don't have any nutrition labels at all.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just curious, as someone who regularly eats granola for breakfast, what makes you say that particular brand is "very good quality"?

The price, same as with the alcoholics here, the cheapest beer with the highest alcohol content is the best.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the problems I often encounter with Thai products is their nutrition information and ingredient labels often are vague and dubious at best,

I'm with you on this, but you know where we are, don't you?

35 minutes ago, Sheist said:

Naw, get the Ayam English Recipe.  The red one above is just too sweet.  Spoils the flavor of the beans.  The ER is terrific, tastes like what you expect baked beans to taste like, and only 49 baht for 425 gram cans.    Ayam Brand Baked Beans English Recipe ...

Spot on, maybe some see beans on toast as a dessert.

Imported stuff can be expensive. However, if you cannot survive a holiday without baked beans, then you can buy excellent baked beans from other brands for less than 100 baht for a can...😋👍

I personally know of a few Thai's that when they travel to the US, they only eat at Thai restaurants. I would bet it is the same for everyone.

I laugh when people reply  "they should eat local".

Do as I say, not as I do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Was in Makro yesterday and saw the Heinz Beans for B420. and laughed..

I'm seeing Makro online selling that product in 6- and 10-packs starting at 220b per can for the 6-pack set. Less per can (under 200b) for the 10-pack set.

Heinz3.jpg.7921368d3667c0c660cccf7f3848317d.jpg

https://www.makro.pro/en/p/cf8bb2s-7513104482499

• Haha 2

Seems like some people will complain about anything 😕 

If you don't like the price don't pay

There are other brands available at a cheaper price and good quality 

Some people just want recognition 😕 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

Rip-off price, should shop at Siamburi's - and buy Branston BB's as taste better 

With one caveat, they are as hard as frozen peas. I have to admit I do but them, but I open the can and stand it in a pan of water and bring it o the boil for about 20 minutes. It doesn't improve the flavour, but with a stir or two it does soften the beans.

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

With one caveat, they are as hard as frozen peas. I have to admit I do but them, but I open the can and stand it in a pan of water and bring it o the boil for about 20 minutes. It doesn't improve the flavour, but with a stir or two it does soften the beans.

Pop them in a bowl then into the microwave - 3 1/2 mins, quick and done to perfection 😉

Dash of L & P helps I find

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Anything that's imported in small quantities is going to be expensive because of higher shipping and distribution costs. It's not rocket science. 

Yes, well. Rockets are very overpriced at the moment😇