British Couple Outraged Over £9 Tin of Heinz Beans in Thailand

webfact

9 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It still confuses me until today that there is not more local producing beans for cheap prices as well with peanut butter and other nuts etc. This knowing farming rice is not paying off at all for most farmers, it is almost a subsidized hobby job + there is tons of land available. There is so many things they could produce and sell.

Sometimes it makes me want to start my own farm here.

Trying to grow things like beans in Thailand is almost imposable just too hot, like trying to grow a lot of western crops, baked beans are made from Navy bean or Haricot bean, in the UK, they originated from North America, a few hundred years ago, a bit cooler than LOS.

Last year a farm in the UK successfully grew some, for about the first time.  

10 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Trying to grow things like beans in Thailand is almost imposable just too hot,

So you think Ethiopia is colder than the UK.

https://www.ukri.org/who-we-are/how-we-are-doing/research-outcomes-and-impact/bbsrc/uks-first-crop-of-homegrown-designer-beans/

British baked beans

Navy beans, a specific market type of common dry beans, are the key ingredient in the British staple, baked beans. However, producing this factory processed food relies entirely on the importation of thousands of tonnes of dry beans each week from the US, Canada, Ethiopia and China.

Navy beans need a warm climate, and the UK is too cold for growing them.

https://extension.usu.edu/yardandgarden/research/beans-in-the-garden

Beans are warm weather vegetables that require soil and air temperatures above 60ºF for best germination and plant growth. Start planting beans one week before the last frost-free date for your area. Seedlings will emerge in 7-10 days when planted in soil that has warmed to 65-85ºF.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Import duty and taxes. End of story. Why do you have to have Heinz anyway? 

I think, when it comes to wanting a taste from home, we prefer the taste of the things we grew up with.

For example: When I am recovering from an illness, only Heinz tomato soup hits the spot. Nothing wrong with Batchelors or Baxters, but they're not what I crave.

Of course, you are correct about the duty and taxes.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1

In Thailand I eat thai food, not french food, and I love it. I do not complain about prices of french products (cheese, champagne, wine or else).

If I wanted french food I would stay in France.

Edited by daejung
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I think, when it comes to wanting a taste from home, we prefer the taste of the things we grew up with.

Then we should have stayed home.

I always have to laugh when I see those posts on FB Bangkok expats, people who want only a particular brand of mustard or mayonnaise or crisps, as that is the only one that is good enough.

Then if they find it, start complaining about the price.

Edited by CallumWK
  • Sad 1

I rather like UK baked beans.

Discovered them decades ago when I was working in the UK and was introduced to the concept of 'beans on toast' not something as an American I would even have considered.

Now I'll pick up a can of them from my local Safeway, and not even bother looking at the price.

BTW I don't think I would ever eat them any other way than 'beans on toast'

24 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I rather like UK baked beans.

Discovered them decades ago when I was working in the UK and was introduced to the concept of 'beans on toast' not something as an American I would even have considered.

Now I'll pick up a can of them from my local Safeway, and not even bother looking at the price.

BTW I don't think I would ever eat them any other way than 'beans on toast'

Need grated cheese on top of that 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Don't forget the side order of fried bacon 

I forgot the bacon, and lets throw in the fried bread while we're at it.

Fried bread not something I had ever had, since I lived in the UK, but has we talk about it, might be something on tomorrows breakfast to horrify my Thai wife

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Online commenters were quick to highlight the hefty markup on imported products, attributing it to distribution and transport costs.

Everyone knows that this is Cr@p. 

All those Imported products  are Price jacked because  of the  Greedy Shops /Supermarkets. They take advantage of the people who want sometimes the Taste of their Country food

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm seeing Makro online selling that product in 6- and 10-packs starting at 220b per can for the 6-pack set. Less per can (under 200b) for the 10-pack set.

Heinz3.jpg.7921368d3667c0c660cccf7f3848317d.jpg

https://www.makro.pro/en/p/cf8bb2s-7513104482499

At the store there were 2 cans on the shelf.  Price was B420/can

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Everyone knows that this is Cr@p. 

All those Imported products  are Price jacked because  of the  Greedy Shops /Supermarkets. They take advantage of the people who want sometimes the Taste of their Country food

Don't buy it.

I only purchase foreign food after it's been discounted. Full stop. I never buy any foreign food at full retail. Exist just fine on fresh Thai food

Edited by BusNo8
  • Agree 2