Foreign Man's 20K Online Slot Win in Pattaya Sparks Outcry

webfact

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

Is "professional gambler" an occupation reserved for Thais?  And will he get banged up for working illegally?

Where was it reported that he was (a) a professional gambler, or (b) working illegally?

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

There's actually a huge police apartment block just a couple of hundred metres down the road, maybe the cops were sleeping. 

With large brown envelopes as pillows 

7 hours ago, gravity101 said:

I think the owner is going to give this guy a good whipping for posting that. Will cost him more than 20k in hospital fees.

Next time he should use a VPN.

4 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

...and those who have no understanding of probabilities. Once, long ago, I ran a flower stall in Covent Garden ( Eliza Doolittle in reverse) next to a betting shop.

It didn't take long to realise that the only person who left with a cheery smile on his face every single day was the owner. 

The house always wins. Gambling is a mug's game.

I agree. As the saying goes, "you rarely see a bookie on a bicycle"

When I was a teenager, I used  to work evenings and Saturdays in a local amusement arcade for a bit of extra cash. The old style fruit machines were set to a payout level of circa 70%. There was also a way of telling whether a machine was 'due to payout'. As people played the machines, the payout tubes were replenished with the money they were putting in. When the tubes were full, the money would fall straight through to the cash box in a locked box at the bottom of the machine (which we would empty each evening). Working there, I could recognise the 'clunk' as the money hit the bottom cash box. I could lurk until someone gave up or run out of pocket money and then step in. Was not by any means foolproof but certainly paid for a few of my Saturday nights out. 

9 hours ago, DjSilver said:

As long as it's a foreigner in Thailand that won, and not a Thai, I'm happy 🤣

It's just planned like that so more foreigners would be attracted to gamble.

Posted (edited)

Pattaya news reports that this is an old or fake picture.  The man in the photo is a 57-year old man with Israeli nationality. His latest recorded departure from Thailand was on September 21, 2019, after a thirty day tourist visa.

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/07/06/pattaya-police-say-post-about-alleged-slots-win-by-foreigner-is-fake-launch-investigation-of-original-social-media-poster/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3fJ1v86kEHyEVneG7NiVUrUqvPAovoNORP-2r3W4e_w9S0qnZwvEqs19o_aem_rw950U65RTSg85_G9JhKrA

Edited by Georgealbert

A post breaking community rules has been removed.

Rule 17. The ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, criticizing grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

If you'd like to help us, and you see an error with an article then please use the report function so that we can attend to it promptly

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

I'm pleased for him, anyone who isn't is just jealous. But it's 20k BAHT, not a great deal of money....what is all the fuss about? 

He probably spent and lost more than that in the build up to the Win. 

In light of the soon-to-be-revised gambling Laws this story strikes me as a little bit unnecessary

A lot better than a little fluffy toy which is the best you can do with most machines around town. I have a faint memory of some one-armed bandits being found in town some years ago....perhaps the same ones have come out of hiding......

Edited by jacko45k

On 7/6/2024 at 9:09 AM, smedly said:

there are many of these games available to Thais on their phones and they are losing thousands of baht playing them, a girl told me she lost 500k in a couple of weeks, there are many girls I see sitting around playing these scam games and that is exactly what they are - a scam

Not only a scam but should be taken down from the net, nowadays the net is a major source of crime 

On 7/6/2024 at 6:43 AM, webfact said:

Yet another example of how illicit activities continue to thrive, often in plain sight.

As long as the brown paper bags stuffed full of Baht keep getting delivered to the politicians and police nothing will change. Corruption is endemic in THAILAND to the core and right to the very top.

• Like 1