Chaos in Pattaya: Motorbike taxi drivers tarnish tourist hotspot

webfact

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Hmm.. what city are you in? In pattaya I have been told to pay 100 baht just to travel a half kilometer. It depends on the time of day and where you are coming from. But I have never been able to get a motorcycle taxi for 40 baht there

you made my point, that is horrendous, I'm in pattaya, try finding one sober after 1am, that's why I use the same drivers I've been using for years, they will come and pick me up from anywhere - good fare and trusted - don't drink

Edited by smedly

Not a big fan of them especially when they are blocking me on the Pattaya cracky pavements with their parked motorcycles , parasols, chairs, tables, some of their favorite soi dogs, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

The mere existence of motorbike taxis and tuktuks marks Thailand as a third world country

Yeah and in my first world country a mere 1km in a taxi will cost me $10CAD = 260baht, what's your point

40 minutes ago, greenhornfarang said:

Yeah and in my first world country a mere 1km in a taxi will cost me $10CAD = 260baht

My point is that these types of “transport” are in places where people are poor  and do not have a choice.  No modern, developed country would allow this type of transportation.  

15 hours ago, Utalk2mutt said:

Just by calling her a “Karen” you are demeaning her. Don’t drink and nor am I on medication so no delusions here. Also the fact you used the crying/laughing emoji suggests or implies you find it funny. I strongly disagree, to assault someone is not the answer to solving an issue.

Guy can't take criticism, so he attacks his critic. Classic behavior of an immature person. Don't respond, he's just trying to goad you. 

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

How many of the unregistered four-wheeled vehicles above have a working meter?  My guess is 0%.  Isn't there a national, legal requirement to have one?  If so, why has it never been enforced here?

You know the answer..... many probably do but will refuse to use it. I will get a Bolt and bypass the issue!

On 7/6/2024 at 5:27 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Btw women, just a heads up, nobody signals in Thailand. 

Thats not true!!  Up my way many many use their indicators all the time, even when riding in a straight line theyre on!                     :stoner:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

So, if few show up, for a meeting, nothing happens ... 555

What ever happened to logic... make rhe legal change, and force them to comply.

Oh, wait, that means upsetting people, and means expecting the cops to perform duties tey are paid to do.

• Confused 1

On 7/6/2024 at 6:43 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where did I say that? 

Are you drunk, best you halve your medication, you are delusional. 

I actually thought you said it acceptable as well, you see to blame the lady.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As with many things here enforcement is the key. Simple ANY rider found NOT having the necessary documentation. Seize the motorcycle until he/ she produces ALL the correct documentation . T hen together with registration and photographing will lower over time the incidents of bad riders. 

19 hours ago, sambum said:

"However, a significant number of drivers and vehicles remain unregistered, sparking demands for stricter regulation and enforcement."

So get the RTP to do their jobs! (Sorry, that popular topic of brown envelopes has just sprung into my mind for some reason!)

I have been involved in 3 rear end shunts over 6; years, sh:t happens but all 3 did deals at the roadside or police station, with the help of the insurance accessor, a boy 18+ gave a statement to the police when it was clearly a female driver, the accessor told me it's all sorted or it's an uninsured loss, I explained to him that this is why you are do busy uninsured inexperienced under age drivers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

As with many things here enforcement is the key. Simple ANY rider found NOT having the necessary documentation. Seize the motorcycle until he/ she produces ALL the correct documentation . T hen together with registration and photographing will lower over time the incidents of bad riders. 

Agreed,  in the modern world, a defective car  without correct documents is of the road and not tomorrow but now and you pick all the costs up. 

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You are right, when I first moved here I was a bit of a hot head, and I was taking  offence at the ridiculously aggressive driving on the Samui, when I lived there. I nearly got in some serious altercations a couple of times, and I realized after a while that I needed to calm down, not take other drivers quite as seriously, and just be more relaxed, far more defensive in my driving, and far less offended. 

That attitude has really paid dividends as I am much calmer these days and very rarely am I offended by what many numskulls do on the road. 

I have got to admit that when I am on my motorbike and someone rides toward me on the wrong side of the road I do give them a blast with the horn, even after being here about 18 years. I do give a bit of leeway with riders riding towards my on the hard shoulder of a highway for obvious reasons, just as long as they don't try to force me into the path of traffic driving on the first lane behind me.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 10:27 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Maybe its more women are complaining..... Btw women, just a heads up, nobody signals in Thailand. 

There was an incident recently between Karen and an Indian Taylor. 

Now this is a recipe for disaster, it ended with a slap, now Karen is seeking compensation. 😂

They always have been a band of rouges, in the pecking order. 

On 7/6/2024 at 6:00 AM, Utalk2mutt said:

Don’t drink and nor am I on medication so no delusions here

Perhaps not, but your replylies are a little over the top.  Plenty of "Karen's" around.  

On 7/5/2024 at 11:27 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Maybe its more women are complaining..... Btw women, just a heads up, nobody signals in Thailand. 

There was an incident recently between Karen and an Indian Taylor. 

Now this is a recipe for disaster, it ended with a slap, now Karen is seeking compensation. 😂

why are you using a derogatory term to refer to a female?

On 7/8/2024 at 11:04 PM, it is what it is said:

why are you using a derogatory term to refer to a female?

Why are you being a pest, are you drunk, have you been drinking? 

Karen is a slang term typically used to refer to a middle-class white American woman who is perceived as entitled or excessively demanding. 

It's obviously NOT 'it is what it is' 

Go and annoy someone else. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST