The killer of seven (or maybe more)…jing-joks

Gaps over doors or not jing joks possess the ability to invade through gaps very small.

The answer is to learn to cope. Dish racks covered with a tea towel. Turn off light sources that attract insects that attract jing joks. At least Tokay can be  kept at bay by the fact  they are to big to squeeze under/ around/ over fly screens etc.

Our cat helps but the residual kill left  under the sofa is a degree annoying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Sounds great fun, but do you dare sleep at night?  When I stayed at a hotel in Burma, there was an enormous Tookay lizard behind the wardrobe in my room.  When I went to bed and turned out the light, after 5 minutes if I turned the light on again, there was the Tookay, staring at me with it's bulging eyes!!

I almost went and slept in the hotel garden 🙂

Had similar in Java ! There was  large painting on the wall that was always crooked in the mornings. When I straightened it  a  huge Tokay would  run out and  give me the evil eye !

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

There are several ways to at least reduce the numbers of lizards in your home. There are sprays available (Homepro and others) to apply to the areas where lizards like to sit. The sprays do not kill but the smell or scent keeps them away from that area for couple of weeks. They will find a way to leave that particular room.

A similar effect has WD40 spray which you can apply at the gaps where lizards enter your house (especially at sliding windows and doors). It really works great.

And Lazada has several items to keep lizards away as well, just use the search function at Lazada.

Edited by msbkk
  • Like 2

Just now, RSD1 said:

Sounds delightful. A bit of the hair of the dog after your big morning of drinking and streaking around the village in your birthday suit with your b0ll0cks flopping around in the wind?

I didn’t walk around the village in the nude.

I opened my front door.

it is a private residence.

My house, my rules.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

They do a good job of killing off the odd mosquito. The tookays are outside the house and not allowed in.😉

killing off an occasional mosquito could never be described as a "good job" they would have to have a much better kill rate before they were welcome in our house, My cat is generally uninterested in them until the numbers increase but once he gets to work he can decimate their numbers in a couple of days

How exactly have you informed the tookays that they are not allowed in the house, I doubt they respect your wishes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RSD1 said:

No, I definitely haven't. And your definitely not past your expiration date in Thailand either. Killing over a half dozen lizards, then writing a 400 word diatribe about it, and posting it on a public forum, is perfectly normal behavior. 

As is counting the number of words in other peoples posts,   (11 in this one just to save you the trouble )

Edited by Bday Prang

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

As is counting the number of words in other peoples posts,   (11 in this one just to save you the trouble )

I can look at a body of text and know how many words it consists of without counting. Autism. 

• Haha 1

I have made traps with a small box. Put clear plastic over the top with a slit in it. Put a battery-powered light inside. Lightly dust the plastic with talc. They are attracted to the light and slip down the plastic through the slit into the box. Works better outside since the insects are attracted also.

44 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

killing off an occasional mosquito could never be described as a "good job" they would have to have a much better kill rate before they were welcome in our house, My cat is generally uninterested in them until the numbers increase but once he gets to work he can decimate their numbers in a couple of days

How exactly have you informed the tookays that they are not allowed in the house, I doubt they respect your wishes

Good fitting mosquito nets and mosquito door closers. And give them a good talking to.😉

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

They are attracted to your house by their food source, insects such as mosquitoes.,

Due to this I welcome them as necessary predators. 

Never bothered me in the last ten years since I moved here.

If you don’t like them simply block their entry points but prepare for an influx of insects.

Never ever seen them going after mosquitos, they are usually in the rubbish bin or <deleted>ting down the walls. I kill them any chance I get, hate the little bastards.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Have you ever gone on a jing-jok killing spree? 

Not necessarily proud of it, but I just finished my first. And I’m not promising it will be my last. 

Some background.

There’s a gap at the top of the back kitchen door which they can crawl through, and over the years they had just about taken over the house. In every room, on every wall, on the ceilings, behind curtains, all over the place. Over the years, I guess I learned to live with them, and because I never did anything about it, they pretty much lost fear of me. Some of these jing-joks, I’m guessing here, might have been tenth generation house guests.

My list of grievances was pretty long. Defecating on freshly washed dishes and pots and pans hanging on the kitchen walls. May have been responsible for an expensive washing machine repair. I also started wondering if all these lizard droppings were good for my respiratory health, and whether constantly seeing things scurrying on the walls and ceilings was good for my mental health. How long, I wondered, before I started seeing pink elephants? My snapping point was watching two of them chasing each other in the cutlery cannister, playfully jumping from spoon to fork to knife and back again.

So, armed with a fly swatter, I went to war.  None were spared. Not jing-joks already missing tails. Not elderly jing-joks. Not newborn or juvenile jing-joks. Not pregnant jing-joks. Nor did I discriminate based on skin color: light complected and dark complected jing-joks all met the same fate. Some of the craftier ones were systematically hunted down. In a few cases, furniture was moved in the process.

One thing I noticed was that after the first round of killings, word got out fast. When I entered a room, any still surviving jing-joks ran for cover like their lives depended on it, which, of course, it did. It was like, ‘Did you see what happened to Freddy? Looked like he got hit by a bus or something.’

I know there’s gonna be a few people who perhaps disapprove, but I want to report that my sense of well-being has markedly improved as a result. Feels like my house is my house once again.

Sorry little fellas, but I felt like it had to be done.

Better stay with pink elephants I'd say🙏

Congratulations on your cleaning the house of those vermin but you must have stirred up some comments again because oh,oh, how pathetic that is, and how mean you were to have unceremoniously unleashed the murder weapon on it.
But I'm cut from the same cloth, I don't want them in the house either and if I see them they're going to die, you're talking about your washing machine but they can also get into an electrical socket with all its consequences.

Or, which is also possible, in your computer, in the CD drive, and so on.

So, now come on with your comments, and I don't care, it is an item that comes back regularly.

P.S. What I did notice, if you live high up in a condominium, you are considerably less bothered by them, apparently they are afraid of heights.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Congratulations on your cleaning the house of those vermin but you must have stirred up some comments again because oh,oh, how pathetic that is, and how mean you were to have unceremoniously unleashed the murder weapon on it.
But I'm cut from the same cloth, I don't want them in the house either and if I see them they're going to die, you're talking about your washing machine but they can also get into an electrical socket with all its consequences.

Or, which is also possible, in your computer, in the CD drive, and so on.

So, now come on with your comments, and I don't care, it is an item that comes back regularly.

P.S. What I did notice, if you live high up in a condominium, you are considerably less bothered by them, apparently they are afraid of heights.

The higher you go the fewer mosquitos there are. They sussed that out, the little rascals.😉

• Like 1