Renewing Driver's licence at Bang Chak Bangkok - update?

Hi all, my 5 year car and motorbike licences will be expiring so it's time to renew.  Last time I did it at the Bang Chak location (Sukhumvit 101).  Can anyone please update me on the requirements?

Last time I needed:

-copies of passport pages (identity and visa) and original passport

-residence certificate

-copies of current (expired) licence front and back, and original licence

-eye test (no written test) and have to watch a movie

-fee

Is this still it?  Also, about timing, it used to be you'd get almost an extra year if you waited til just past expiry of the licence (which is your birthday), because they give you 5 years starting from your NEXT birthday.  Still true?

Thanks for any info.

You are correct on the documents.

You'll also need a medical certificate no older than one month from the date you are renewing. 

You can do the training (watch the video and answer a few multiple choice questions) online now. After you complete the online training it's valid for up to 180 days to renew your license. Here is the link:

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/forignerhome 

After you complete the online training you will need a QR code issued by the website and then screen capture that QR code onto your phone and show it to them at DLT. You can see my other post below about how to get that QR code out of the site as it was a bit confusing for me.  

5 minutes ago, TylerBKK said:

You'll also need a medical certificate no older than one month from the date you are renewing. 

Thanks.  Last time I remember I'd read that you need a med certificate but they didn't ask me for one.  Is there any special form?  What does it need to say?  And can you get one at any clinic or does it have to come from a hospital?

I think they started requiring the medical certificate since Covid. I didn't need one the last time either. 

I got mine from a small old clinic next to Chatuchak DLT that does them for 150 Baht. 

They provide the form. It is all in Thai. I didn't bother to try and read it. But they know what is needed. 

I suggest you ask around in your area. There is probably a similar clinic close to the DLT office where you will be renewing that everyone uses and it will be fast and easy. 

Also, fee is 505 Baht for car and 255 Baht for motorcycle license renewal of 5 years. 

Yes, if you renew just after expiry of your existing license then still end up with almost 6 years on the renewal.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:45 AM, TylerBKK said:

I think they started requiring the medical certificate since Covid. I didn't need one the last time either. 

I got mine from a small old clinic next to Chatuchak DLT that does them for 150 Baht. 

They provide the form. It is all in Thai. I didn't bother to try and read it. But they know what is needed. 

I suggest you ask around in your area. There is probably a similar clinic close to the DLT office where you will be renewing that everyone uses and it will be fast and easy. 

Also, fee is 505 Baht for car and 255 Baht for motorcycle license renewal of 5 years. 

Yes, if you renew just after expiry of your existing license then still end up with almost 6 years on the renewal.  

Is there a time limit, after it expires, for renewing it this way without having to start all over with a driving test?  Like if you wait 6 months is it still as above?

21 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Is there a time limit, after it expires, for renewing it this way without having to start all over with a driving test?  Like if you wait 6 months is it still as above?

Yes, one year is the limit. 

• Thanks 1