SUV suitable for long distance Highway travel?

Hello,

I'm currently having a Mazda 3 and Im quiet satisfied with the car. But with me getting older I start to get back pain when sitting for longer periods of time. 

I start looking around and found the Ford Everest to be comfortable (it also has lumbar support). 

Since I never owned a SUV I don't know how the high suspension travel, high seating position and potential wobbling would be a factor on long distance highway travels.

Let me know what you guys think.

If you like your car why not consider getting a custom seat for it that's more comfortable for your back and to your liking? It doesn't make much sense to replace the whole vehicle if the only issue with it is seat comfort. I suspect an SUV will also consume more petrol than your existing vehicle. 

2 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

If you like your car why not consider getting a custom seat for it that's more comfortable for your back and to your liking? It doesn't make much sense to replace the whole vehicle if the only issue with it is seat comfort. I suspect an SUV will also consume more petrol than your existing vehicle. 

See glad I asked, the idea of a custom seat didn't came to my mind. Will definitely look into that option.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, CanNot said:

See glad I asked, the idea of a custom seat didn't came to my mind. Will definitely look into that option.

You might even be able to find a nice, high-quality aftermarket seat cushion that offers good back support so that you don't even have to replace the seat.

You could also look into upgrading the shocks to something higher quality that would help smooth out the bumps and the bounces. If you like the car I would look into all the options first.

Also, your current vehicle is the devil you know. You might buy an SUV and might not even like it at all, even if it offers some improvement on back support. 

48 minutes ago, CanNot said:

Ive own a mazda 3, nice car.

does it being so low affect your back ?

Seat cushion ideas:

1.    Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Seat Cushion:
    •    This cushion features an ergonomic design with a memory foam base that contours to your body. It includes a removable lumbar support pillow that can be adjusted for optimal support.
    2.    LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support Back Cushion:
    •    Specifically designed for lumbar support, this cushion is made of high-density memory foam and has an adjustable strap to secure it to the car seat. It offers firm support and helps maintain proper posture.
    3.    ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion:
    •    Combining memory foam with a cooling gel layer, this cushion provides comfort and support. It helps reduce pressure on the lower back and tailbone, making long drives more comfortable.
    4.    Feagar Lumbar Support Pillow:
    •    This lumbar support pillow is made of high-quality memory foam and features an ergonomic design to support the lower back. It comes with adjustable straps to keep it in place on the car seat.
    5.    Konnor Memory Foam Lumbar Support Cushion:
    •    Designed with an ergonomic shape and high-density memory foam, this cushion provides excellent lumbar support. It also has an adjustable strap to ensure it stays in place.
    6.    FORTEM Seat Cushion & Lumbar Support:
    •    This set includes both a seat cushion and a lumbar support pillow made of memory foam. The cushions are designed to alleviate pressure on the lower back and promote better posture.

When choosing a lumbar support cushion, consider the following factors:

•    Material: Memory foam tends to offer good support and comfort.
    •    Adjustability: Cushions with adjustable straps are easier to secure in the desired position.
    •    Ergonomic Design: Look for cushions specifically designed to support the natural curve of the spine.
    •    Customer Reviews: Check reviews from other users to gauge the effectiveness and comfort of the cushion.

20 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive own a mazda 3, nice car.

does it being so low affect your back ?

I didn't modify the suspension. I think its just me getting older. 😁

Having said that I think the Mazda 3 tend to be a bit stiffer and sportier than other cars in the same class

20 hours ago, CanNot said:

I didn't modify the suspension. I think its just me getting older. 😁

Having said that I think the Mazda 3 tend to be a bit stiffer and sportier than other cars in the same class

My wife bought a Mazda Lantis new in 1997. I think basically forerunner of the 3. We only sold it last year. I found the design of the seat ..sort of sport like…not at all good for long journeys.I had the suspension changed a couple of times, but the ride  was just too firm. The Everest was a better ride, but of course somewhat newer.

I find the only effective means of managing my lower back pain is to keep moving. Type of chair, car seat, cushions etc. make little difference. If flexibility is a problem I would avoid an SUV. We have a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. My Mrs wanted it because it has seven seats and she believes a bigger vehicle to be safer. I don't like it because of the fuel consumption and, being less agile than average, the 'step-up' makes entering and exiting the vehicle difficult. However, in your particular case, taking time researching and spending money on a quality custom seat may give you the improvement you seek.

On 7/9/2024 at 9:50 AM, CanNot said:

Do you do any exercises for your back? 

I have a crv (diesel 2019) and it's pretty comfortable (both the seats and suspension). The new crv hybrid would be a good choice for a  new car. Plenty of power and good fuel economy also. The most comfortable car I've driven was a new toyota camry hybrid which I rented when I was in Australia a few months ago. 

All the SUV's based on trucks have compro.ised suspension and interior space compared to the car-based 'unibody' SUV's of similar size - but the latest crop of truck-based SUV's have narrowed the gap considerably compared to the older models (which were basically pick-up trucks with rear seats).

I"ve driven most the current options either as hire cars or for test drives in friend's or dealer cars - and here's my personal view on ride comfort ....

1. Nissan Terra - smoothest ride of all of them, bur rolls a bit.

2. Ford Everest - slightly less smooth than the Terra, but better body control and quiet.

3. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - getting a bit more truck like, but tolerable.

4. Toyota Fortuna - best seller and has serious fanboys who will claim it rides like a Rolls Royce, but it suffers from the rigid axle wobble and judder over rough roads like any truck.

5. Isuzu Mu-X - good handling .... for a truck.

However, they all suffer from the high floor caused by the body sitting on a chassis, so your feet and legs are higher in relation to the seat than in a similar sized car-based SUV, and this will put more pressure on backside and lower back.  So the sitting position in truck-based SUV"s is similar to a small car, even with seat raised, as your head is closer to the roof lining due to the chassis, so you can't raise the seat much unless you're Tom Cruise.

Unibody SUV's such as the Honda CR-V, BMW X-3 and 5, Subaru Forrester, Mazda CX-7 and the old Nissan X-Trail have more interior space and a better seating position than the (externally) larger truck-based SUV's.  They also have a better ride as the don't have riged rear axles and a bendy chassis.

There's also the new Chinese SUV's like the Haval H6 ...  they look nice and are well priced, but I've never driven one.

Oh, and avoid the little 'cross-over' SUV's like the Honda HR-V (a Jazz on steroids) or the Toyota C-HR, Yaris Cross, Mitsu Expander etc .... they are very good small cars, but they have the semi-rigid rear suspension (and even torsion beams in some) of their small hatchback brothers .... so they ride like small hatchbacks, but with even more arthritic suspension to combat body roll from the higher roofline.

In summary - I'd recommend the Honda CR-V or Subaru Forrester, or if you want a truck-based SUV - the Nissan Terra.

(Anything German will cost you twice as much, and the ride will be quite firm as they are designed for smooth German autobahns).

.... Que the 'confused' emoji's from the Fortuna crew and BMW fans ....

• Agree 1

We have a Honda CRV and it is great - very popular in Thailand and a great vehicle. It drives like a car and extremely comfortable on our long runs and plenty of room for golf gear and luggage etc.  If I was single and did not have to occasionally carry so much stuff, I would probably try the Honda HRV which is a bit smaller and has great handling and comfort too (a guy I know has one). 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Kinnock said:

All the SUV's based on trucks have compro.ised suspension and interior space compared to the car-based 'unibody' SUV's of similar size - but the latest crop of truck-based SUV's have narrowed the gap considerably compared to the older models (which were basically pick-up trucks with rear seats).

I"ve driven most the current options either as hire cars or for test drives in friend's or dealer cars - and here's my personal view on ride comfort ....

1. Nissan Terra - smoothest ride of all of them, bur rolls a bit.

2. Ford Everest - slightly less smooth than the Terra, but better body control and quiet.

3. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - getting a bit more truck like, but tolerable.

4. Toyota Fortuna - best seller and has serious fanboys who will claim it rides like a Rolls Royce, but it suffers from the rigid axle wobble and judder over rough roads like any truck.

5. Isuzu Mu-X - good handling .... for a truck.

However, they all suffer from the high floor caused by the body sitting on a chassis, so your feet and legs are higher in relation to the seat than in a similar sized car-based SUV, and this will put more pressure on backside and lower back.  So the sitting position in truck-based SUV"s is similar to a small car, even with seat raised, as your head is closer to the roof lining due to the chassis, so you can't raise the seat much unless you're Tom Cruise.

Unibody SUV's such as the Honda CR-V, BMW X-3 and 5, Subaru Forrester, Mazda CX-7 and the old Nissan X-Trail have more interior space and a better seating position than the (externally) larger truck-based SUV's.  They also have a better ride as the don't have riged rear axles and a bendy chassis.

There's also the new Chinese SUV's like the Haval H6 ...  they look nice and are well priced, but I've never driven one.

Oh, and avoid the little 'cross-over' SUV's like the Honda HR-V (a Jazz on steroids) or the Toyota C-HR, Yaris Cross, Mitsu Expander etc .... they are very good small cars, but they have the semi-rigid rear suspension (and even torsion beams in some) of their small hatchback brothers .... so they ride like small hatchbacks, but with even more arthritic suspension to combat body roll from the higher roofline.

In summary - I'd recommend the Honda CR-V or Subaru Forrester, or if you want a truck-based SUV - the Nissan Terra.

(Anything German will cost you twice as much, and the ride will be quite firm as they are designed for smooth German autobahns).

.... Que the 'confused' emoji's from the Fortuna crew and BMW fans ....

Excellent post which adds a lot of points not many of us would consider. 

I've had the BMW-X5 and agree - the suspension is more stiff.

I've test driven the Ford Explorer (previous iteration) - it felt like driving a barge down Sukhumvit road, but I'd take a serious look at the latest model.

I've had a Honda CRV - the are more 'car like' with a higher seating position.

I've had a Mazda CX-5... Same as CX-8 (which is 30cm longer) - ride is very comfortable.

Regarding the actual type of vehicle itself...    I know its quite different, but how important is an SUV ??... 

Would a Tesla Model Y be worth considering ? or does that also have a 'hard ride' ? - food for thought. 

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 8:52 AM, TylerBKK said:

When choosing a lumbar support cushion, consider the following factors:

•    Material: Memory foam tends to offer good support and comfort.
    •    Adjustability: Cushions with adjustable straps are easier to secure in the desired position.
    •    Ergonomic Design: Look for cushions specifically designed to support the natural curve of the spine.

Does it get hot?