Border run for 30 days visa exemption

Posted (edited)

Let's say you got the first 30 days stamps doing a border run and you got the second and last stamp in November or December, could you get 2 more stamps starting from January of the new year?  for example you get the first 30 days stamp in September plus extension at local immigration, then you get the second stamp in November plus an extension at local immigration.  In this case would it be possible to get two more free 30 days stamps in the new year 2025? Just curious as I know that is only possible to get 2 30 days exempt by land within one year but when the new year arrives you could repeat the process again? I could also fly to get unlimited 30 days stamps but it's a bit stressful and a waste of money for flights ticket all the time. I have also heard that many people are being rejected at some airports in Thailand because of too many free stamps on the passport 

Edited by Jack1988

Let's try to follow the KISS adage (Keep It Super Simple)

You're allowed TWO visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31), period, end of story

You can burn thru them how ever you want to 😉 Once they're gone they're gone and you wait until the following year rolls over to get 2 more free land entries  

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

You're allowed TWO visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31), period, end of story

You can burn thru them how ever you want to 😉 Once they're gone they're gone and you wait until the following year rolls over to get 2 more free land entries  

Ok great thanks for the information! So it sounds very easy!

Edited by Jack1988

OP, you could consider an METV which would provide stress free stay up to 9 months  and air travel to any nice break places such as Vietnam. 

No concerns about visa exempt flights. 

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you could consider an METV which would provide stress free stay up to 9 months  and air travel to any nice break places such as Vietnam. 

Yes I will apply for a METV when I will go back to my country. I have already the financial requirements to apply for it. METV is the best choice to stay in Thailand up to 9 months without stress 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I am also planning to do some visa exempt flights to get free 30 days stamps after I will burn the 2 border run by land. What's the cheapest flights around Asian countries? I've checked online, flights to Vietnam (Hanoi) and to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) seem to be cheaper than other Asian countries and the flights are direct. I might even stay  there for some weeks and then fly back to Thailand 

18 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

I might even stay  there for some weeks and then fly back to Thailand 

Bit off topic but ....

When you plan a mini holiday it's hard to top Saigon..

Bus at airport to Bui Vien St is under 20baht. 

Excellent entertainment options. 

Return Bangkok to Saigon 5400b

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Didn't you just get all the answers to this question in your other recent thread?

I am talking about unlimited visa exempt flights this time, not about border run and 60 days tourist visa 

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

I am talking about unlimited visa exempt flights this time, not about border run and 60 days tourist visa 

They're "unlimited" until you encounter an IO who thinks you're abusing them.

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2024 at 3:33 PM, DrJack54 said:

Please advise of a location in the region where I can apply for one. (I'm living in SE Asia, but are not a local citizen.)

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Please advise of a location in the region where I can apply for one. (I'm living in SE Asia, but are not a local citizen.)

A METV can only be obtained in home country or country where you have permanent Resident status.

Some threads discuss/ask ways to apply for METV (eVisa) while not in your country. Not good idea..

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A METV can only be obtained in home country or country where you have permanent Resident status.

Some threads discuss/ask ways to apply for METV (eVisa) while not in your country. Not good idea..

Thank you for the sound advice. However, living in a different part of the world, then having to travel thousands of miles to one's home country just for a visa application is just °^ו`

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

However, living in a different part of the world, then having to travel thousands of miles to one's home country just for a visa application is just °^ו

It's a Thai thing.

By way of contrast, I can apply for multi entry eVisa for Vietnam from anywhere. 

No flights, accommodation details etc etc

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's a Thai thing.

By way of contrast, I can apply for multi entry eVisa for Vietnam from anywhere. 

I am planning to go to Vietnam (Hanoi or Saigon) in the next months for one or two weeks, can i enter without apply for a visa and just get 30 free days stamp on my passport? Later I will come back to Thailand 

Edited by Jack1988

10 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

can i enter without apply for a visa and just get 30 free days stamp on my passport?

Yes many countries receive 30 day stamp. (think you UK) 

Oz and USA folk require an eVisa which is also 30 days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ok great thanks!

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's a Thai thing.

It's not just a Thai thing. It's normal that visas are applied for in the country you are resident in. Most countries/ embassies require proof of residence for the country you are living and applying in. I recently applied for, and received a visa for Thailand from the Thai embassy in he country where I reside.

11 minutes ago, claffey said:

It's not just a Thai thing. It's normal that visas are applied for in the country you are resident in

Did you even read my post.

I'm typing this from Bangkok.

I can apply for eVisa to Vietnam after this post. 

Well,  Many countries do require you to apply in your country of residence. I didn't say all countries. Vietnam obviously doesn't. Well done. Try applying for a European visa for a Thai,in a country they are not resident in, and get back to me. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Vietnam now offers 45 day visa exempt for many countries (including UK) and e-visa required by US and Aus/NZ is now 90 days (single or multi-entry)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/9/2024 at 1:55 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Those rules are meaningless.  Just one of those land border exit/entries in your passport and you will often get harassed trying to come back in at an airport on the next run, like I did.  It doesn't matter what the rules say.  Immigration can and often does do whatever they feel like doing regardless of what the rules say.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

op re your original post 

On 7/9/2024 at 3:50 PM, Jack1988 said:

Let's say you got the first 30 days stamps doing a border run and you got the second and last stamp in November or December, could you get 2 more stamps starting from January of the new year?  for example you get the first 30 days stamp in September plus extension at local immigration, then you get the second stamp in November plus an extension at local immigration.  In this case would it be possible to get two more free 30 days stamps in the new year 2025? Just curious as I know that is only possible to get 2 30 days exempt by land within one year but when the new year arrives you could repeat the process again? I could also fly to get unlimited 30 days stamps but it's a bit stressful and a waste of money for flights ticket all the time. I have also heard that many people are being rejected at some airports in Thailand because of too many free stamps on the passport 

i think its a bit far fetched to think you can use 2 land crossings for 30 day visa exempt entry + extensions at the end of one year, and then get another 2 at the beginning of the next, that would be 8 months continued staying in Thailand, immigration will have a different view on that to the one you have, if you want to stay that long then get a long term visa

14 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Vietnam now offers 45 day visa exempt for many countries (including UK) and e-visa required by US and Aus/NZ is now 90 days (single or multi-entry)

Good to know

11 hours ago, steve187 said:

op re your original post 

i think its a bit far fetched to think you can use 2 land crossings for 30 day visa exempt entry + extensions at the end of one year, and then get another 2 at the beginning of the next, that would be 8 months continued staying in Thailand, immigration will have a different view on that to the one you have, if you want to stay that long then get a long term visa

I can't apply for a retirement visa yet as I am still far away to 50 years old and i am not into marriage anymore. I prefer to stay in Thailand with single tourist/METV visas or visa exemption. I will apply for retirement visa when I will be 50+ if I will be still alive lol

1 hour ago, Jack1988 said:

I can't apply for a retirement visa yet as I am still far away to 50 years old and i am not into marriage anymore. I prefer to stay in Thailand with single tourist/METV visas or visa exemption. I will apply for retirement visa when I will be 50+ if I will be still alive lol

there are other long term visa's long term on visa exempt  and tourist will probably not wash with immigration

6 minutes ago, steve187 said:

there are other long term visa's long term on visa exempt  and tourist will probably not wash with immigration

Can you list them.

Sure there is expensive PE Visa.

There are non Ed (not really long term) 

METV good for 9 months 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, steve187 said:

I know but i don't want to spend too much money for one year ED visa or an elite visa. I can wait to be 50 years old and i will apply for a retirement visa, just pay 1900thb every year

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you list them.

Sure there is expensive PE Visa.

There are non Ed (not really long term) 

METV good for 9 months 

agree with you