Tourist Visa Stamp Received July 10, 2024

My gf from the Philippines, arrived at Bangkok early this morning.  She has never had a problem with immigration here.  They pulled her aside for 2 hours and allowed her to stay here 28 days.  Thought the Philippines was allowed 60 days on arrival these days.  Anyways, soon adios Thailand to their attitude and the CRS.

12 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

Thought the Philippines was allowed 60 days on arrival these days

Think it's 30.

Entry date counts as day 1.

Perhaps she has had recent entries to Thailand visa exempt? 

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think it's 30.

Entry date counts as day 1.

Perhaps she has had recent entries to Thailand visa exempt? 

They only gave her 28 days, not 30.  She last left Thailand last Dec. 25.  Thought if one travels by air, they can enter any number of times.

9 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

They only gave her 28 days, not 30.  She last left Thailand last Dec. 25.  Thought if one travels by air, they can enter any number of times.

Hmm, I'd say she or you is counting wrong it should actually be 29 days because the day you stamp in counts as day one no matter what time you stamp in
if she stamped in July 10th I'd say she should be stamped in until Aug 8th
Can you post an image of the stamp.
AND
that 60 day free entry for 90+ countries didn't start, 

"some nationalities" are routinely questioned about, proof of funds, proof of onward travel, proof of lodging, etc, strange to be questioned for 2 hours though if she doesn't have an extensive entry/stay history to thailand    

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

Having been out of Thailand for 5+ months she should not have been questioned for 2 hours.

There is no stated limit on visa exempt via air however if used ongoing especially back to back with little time out of Thailand then you can be refused

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

Hmm, I'd say she or you is counting wrong it should actually be 29 days because the day you stamp in counts as day one no matter what time you stamp in
if she stamped in July 10th I'd say she should be stamped in until Aug 8th
Can you post an image of the stamp.
AND
that 60 day free entry for 90+ countries didn't start, 

"some nationalities" are routinely questioned about, proof of funds, proof of onward travel, proof of lodging, etc, strange to be questioned for 2 hours though if she doesn't have an extensive entry/stay history to thailand    

According to George, 60 day tourist visa has started.

And she is allowed 28 days for sure.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, koolkarl said:

My gf from the Philippines, arrived at Bangkok early this morning.  She has never had a problem with immigration here.  They pulled her aside for 2 hours and allowed her to stay here 28 days.  Thought the Philippines was allowed 60 days on arrival these days.  Anyways, soon adios Thailand to their attitude and the CRS.

Don't blame Thailand. You stay here and do not know the rules. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

It's still 30 days, nothing strange there. If you think it's 28 days, you're just counting wrong.

IO may have set his stamp wrong / off by 1 day.  It has been known to happen.

For awhile, it was reported that once one hit 6 Visa-Exempts EVER, they were flagged for scrutiny - some sort of warning on the IO's screen.  That, in combination with a low-salary country, likely triggered the questioning.  I doubt they would have intentionally shaved just 1 or 2 days off, related to this.

6 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Just to be clear, what day did she arrive and what is stamp date. Let everyone see if you are miscounting days or not

10 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Even though that is supposed to be the rule they seem to be harassing people more and more over it.  Happened to me recently too.  First time in over 20 years of going to Thailand. Did not make me feel nearly as welcome as I had grown used to.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Travellers from some countries are currently allowed 30 days visa-exempt permission to stay. The government is in the process of evaluating a proposal to change this to 60 days. This change has not yet been finalised and implemented.

For arriving passengers, the last date of the permission to stay is clearly indicated in the arrival stamp, not as a number of days of permission to stay.

Both the day of arrival and the day of departure count as part of the period of stay.

You failed to indicate the dates shown in the arrival stamp in your friend's passport but the above information should enable you to verify if the end date of the permission to stay has been calculated correctly.

18 hours ago, koolkarl said:

First off, that stamp is not a visa. A tourist visa has to be obtained before entering thailand. This has been happening for many years regardless of nationality. Thailand does not look kindly at people who enter frequently using no visa. As absurd as that may seem, thats how it is here. Very different from Philippines where a tourist can just come and stay as long as they want basically. As far as the 60 day thing, it has not officially come into effect, anything your reading about that is just speculation at this point.

Edited by at15

Pretty simple, she arrived 10 July so likely has the correct 8 Aug Stamp for a 30 day visa exempt entry. If OP is not counting the first and last days that = the 28 days he's claiming (very common mistake)

22 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Enjoy the Phillippines. Bet  you get more frustrated there. 

22 hours ago, koolkarl said:

You can enter Thailand via air up to 6 times per calendar year with a visa exemption [ThaiEmbassy.com]. However, it's important to remember that these entries are at the discretion of the immigration officer. To avoid any issues, make sure you have all the necessary documentation and proof of onward travel

• Confused 2

32 minutes ago, paahlman said:

You can enter Thailand via air up to 6 times per calendar year with a visa exemption [ThaiEmbassy.com]. However, it's important to remember that these entries are at the discretion of the immigration officer. To avoid any issues, make sure you have all the necessary documentation and proof of onward travel

never heard of. In theory is not mentioned how many times via air, in practice the IO can flag if he/she suspect might come to work or spend too much time in the Kingdom and can deny entry next time. Better she get a proper Visa in Manila. 

6 hours ago, john donson said:

suspected to work... young pretty thing ? 

as others noted maybe coming more often that the OP suspects..hence the 2 hr chat with IO.......

NO dahling...i only love YOU...too much!!!.......then what are all these stamps into LOS while i was away!!???    shopping dear! 🙂

Every time I do a land crossing with a visa service group, they have dedicated vans for people from the philippines. Out of those I am almost certain some work illegally in Thailand. This might be the reason for the intense questioning. I remember when they were questioning me, whatever I said didnt matter... they just kept saying "no no, we dont believe you". This went on for at least 1 hour. So, I am not surprised. Also now is low season which means they have more time to question incoming arrivals.

Immigration pulled her aside for 2 hours................

Actually she wasnt questioned by Authorities ...........but she was in middle level interrogated state........in interrogation room.

European Schengen area States civilians should allow to stay in Thailand withought any permission but the problem is for those who have obtained dual or triples citzenships ........

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No such rule.

That is from Siam Legal and not correct information 

Very possible you are correct of course.. I have heard during the years all sorts of things. Some said 3 times.. Then i now read 6 times.. However.. Might be no limit.

On 7/10/2024 at 2:18 PM, koolkarl said:

allowed her to stay here 28 days.  Thought the Philippines was allowed 60 days

you miscounted, it's 30 days and the 60 days has not been applied yet.
also it is visa exempt; not a tourist visa stamp.

2 hours ago, orchis said:

you miscounted, it's 30 days and the 60 days has not been applied yet.
also it is visa exempt; not a tourist visa stamp.

No miscount. Only allowed 28 days.  Been rechecked.

• Haha 1