Everybody is born and dies the same way

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Good one 😄

A little nap before evening fishing for some trout. 

Lamb for dinner it is the small things that matters in life

Have a good one

You too, my digital friend. Hope we wake up to another Internet war on AN tomorrow. It´s always soo exciting. 😉 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

More important quality living, a solid house, view, clean air, fresh and clean food. My priorities for now, and some extra founds if <deleted> happens

Mine also + keeping the beautiful partner, staying fit, and laughing as much as possible.

• Love It 2

I am not a Buddhist, but I have few worldly goods because I don't need them.  I have 1 pair of shoes. I have 2 pairs of jeans.  I have a jacket. I don't have a watch, nor rings nor necklaces.  I don't have a TV. I have 1 hat 🙂

Yes, I have my mobile phones and computer for entertainment and teaching.  I have my amateur radio rig and antennas for my hobby.  But 'flash' clothes, car, jewelry, bling?  Nope, not interested and don't need it 🙂

• Like 2

Most of what I have has a function, whether it is for cooking my food or transporting me somewhere. I have a few memorabilia.

We may be born the same way, we die differently.

Some die peacefully in their sleep. some die after months or even years of suffering.

Some die penniless and alone, some die surrounded by loved ones.

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Born naked with nothing. When you die you don't get to take stuff with you. So why do people accumulate so much junk? 99% of everything you own is junk.

Absolutely.  :thumbsup:  Agree with you 100%. 

I came here after selling virtually everything I owned in the US and was down to a backpack and a daypack.  Made one trip back to the US a year later and brought back a suitcase.  Basically I got rid of 99% of what I owned.  And that wasn't the first time I'd done that. I've done it before. I can do it again if needed.  Being Buddhist helps.  It's all just - "stuff."  There is a lot of freedom to being unencumbered.  Try being a Buddhist monk or nun if you're a gal - there's a lot of freedom to that as well.  Yet we live in a world were most people hold on to all they possess as though that "stuff" is the most important things in their world.  And many believe that he/she who dies with the most toys wins.  Or even more ridiculous - establishing a legacy or a dynasty.  Like that does any good - when you dead, you're dead - dynasty or not.

👻 "But I left my family with $10 billion dollars that they can fight over, high-rise buildings in my name, and foundations and SuperPacs.  I'm God!"
😁 Nope - you're worm food at best - and you're dead.  Even if people still speak your name - you're still dead. 
Legacy. :clap2:
Now there is the ultimate in hubris. 

Some people think I'm nuts when I just give stuff away, my wife included.  But it is just stuff.  Plus giving feels good. We honestly don't need much to live a happy life.  Let me qualify - I don't need much to live a happy life.  I feel sad for those who think they do.  They simply make their own lives and the lives of others miserable with their greed.  It's senseless. 

So @susanlea - good observation.  :thumbsup:  Kudos!

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

The opposite is true. A self assured person doesn't need material items to feel good about themselves. This is the essence of buddhism.

you totally ruined a potentially good thread

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

I am not a Buddhist, but I have few worldly goods because I don't need them.  I have 1 pair of shoes. I have 2 pairs of jeans.  I have a jacket. I don't have a watch, nor rings nor necklaces.  I don't have a TV. I have 1 hat 🙂

Yes, I have my mobile phones and computer for entertainment and teaching.  I have my amateur radio rig and antennas for my hobby.  But 'flash' clothes, car, jewelry, bling?  Nope, not interested and don't need it 🙂

But would if you could afford them...   its easy to 'make the I don't need them' comment from the throws of relative indigence. 

The implication in this thread is that 'money doesn't buy you happiness'.....  and that could be true, a person can't buy happiness... but, jeffing ek... money buys a great deal of fun and those experiences lead to happiness !!!

If I had a great deal of wealth and could afford a great big Yacht, I'd go for it..  

Of course, if I had a great deal of wealth I'd dabble in some philanthropy too..

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yeah, sure.

Wirapol-Sukphol-counting-money.jpg

The world is full of charlatans.  Buddhism, like Christianity, has its fair share of those who don the robes or the collar and pretend to play the part when in actuality they are grifters 👆  What is sad about grifters are the people whom they con.
And the world, unfortunately, is full of waiting "marks."

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Still it is worth gaining something in life, and make sure it will be an happy ending at the end with as little hassle as possible, and less pain igmf there is long lasting complications. 

Some of us believe in less "stuff" and more "happy endings!"  😁

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

“If you make a habit of buying things you do not need, you will soon be selling things you do.” —Filipino Proverb

How do you know I dont need my well organized kitchen, my comfortable mattress , my beautiful hand woven carpet, or my smart car ? I like living comfortably and I don’t buy junk. My choice. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

Born naked with nothing. When you die you don't get to take stuff with you. So why do people accumulate so much junk? 99% of everything you own is junk.

i'm quite proud of my junk..the ladies seem to like it too!!😎

• Love It 1

26 minutes ago, connda said:

Cant have more happy endings, Im happy with the happy endings I get from my wife in her prime 😂

42 minutes ago, connda said:

I heard that a happy ending is when you hand over the cash and they leave without any added drama. That's what a friend told me anyway. 

Not everyone is born the same way.  The OP is incorrect.

Have you never heard of breech birth?

And, sometimes, when being born, the head get's stuck.

I was born....perfectly....however.

So, not the same as some.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

The average household is full of junk though.

I know someone who deals with deceased estates, the contents of the homes more often than not end up on the side of road for council pickup day.

Relatives rarely want anything bigger than what they can carry out in a box... unless the home is full of treasure of course.

5 hours ago, susanlea said:

Everybody is born and dies the same way

There are literally hundreds of different ways people die everyday. In my case, I hope to go in a moment of extreme euphoric pleasure which includes heavy breathing, an elevated heart rate, body fluids dripping down my face, where I can't hear the stereo and there are two thick warm thighs pressed up against my ears, together with a second set of thighs vigorously bouncing up and down on my lower appendage. 

7 hours ago, susanlea said:

When i had a year off travelling around the world and had one back pack only you realise you don't need much, i accumulate little

• Like 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

Absolutely.  :thumbsup:  Agree with you 100%. 

I came here after selling virtually everything I owned in the US and was down to a backpack and a daypack.  Made one trip back to the US a year later and brought back a suitcase.  Basically I got rid of 99% of what I owned.  And that wasn't the first time I'd done that. I've done it before. I can do it again if needed.  Being Buddhist helps.  It's all just - "stuff."  There is a lot of freedom to being unencumbered.  Try being a Buddhist monk or nun if you're a gal - there's a lot of freedom to that as well.  Yet we live in a world were most people hold on to all they possess as though that "stuff" is the most important things in their world.  And many believe that he/she who dies with the most toys wins.  Or even more ridiculous - establishing a legacy or a dynasty.  Like that does any good - when you dead, you're dead - dynasty or not.

👻 "But I left my family with $10 billion dollars that they can fight over, high-rise buildings in my name, and foundations and SuperPacs.  I'm God!"
😁 Nope - you're worm food at best - and you're dead.  Even if people still speak your name - you're still dead. 
Legacy. :clap2:
Now there is the ultimate in hubris. 

Some people think I'm nuts when I just give stuff away, my wife included.  But it is just stuff.  Plus giving feels good. We honestly don't need much to live a happy life.  Let me qualify - I don't need much to live a happy life.  I feel sad for those who think they do.  They simply make their own lives and the lives of others miserable with their greed.  It's senseless. 

So @susanlea - good observation.  :thumbsup:  Kudos!

Good answer. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I know someone who deals with deceased estates, the contents of the homes more often than not end up on the side of road for council pickup day.

Relatives rarely want anything bigger than what they can carry out in a box... unless the home is full of treasure of course.

Which is my point.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

But I can afford them 🙂 .  I have never worn a watch nor bling in my life! My ham radio gear costs about $3,000 USD, so it's not that I can't afford things.  Sure, I don't have the money for the high life, but I simply have zero interest in these things.

Also, you don't need to be wealthy to indulge in philanthropy.  I'm not rich but I buy science school books (in English and Burmese) for young students in Burma at $1 a pop for a 500-page text book that helps the students to understand their science syllabus. $100 goes a long way to help others 🙂

Book stores are less common in the west now.

• Haha 1