Bangkok Redlight Nightlife Empty??

JimTripper

It feels like Bangkok redlight areas like Patpong, Cowboy and Nana are devoid of customers. Especially Patpong. The night market was dead and hardly anybody there tonight. Is it just me? I think if I went into a go-go I would be the only one there.

I remember the Patpong area crowded with people when I first came to Thailand, standing room only.

What happened? Where is everybody? I don't think it's a low season thing, feels more like it's going out of style.

There was some activity and traffic on the Japanese street, but the old school street was dead.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Tinder 

that and the fact that sex tourists and mongers are a rapidly dying breed.

Edit now that i think of it has literally been years since I had a guest that wanted to visit nana, cowboy or Patpong. Everyone wants to go out, just not to a gogo.

Edited by n00dle
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It feels like Bangkok redlight areas like Patpong, Cowboy and Nana are devoid of customers. Especially Patpong. The night market was dead and hardly anybody there tonight. Is it just me? I think if I went into a go-go I would be the only one there.

I remember the Patpong area crowded with people when I first came to Thailand, standing room only.

What happened? Where is everybody? I don't think it's a low season thing, feels more like it's going out of style.

There was some activity and traffic on the Japanese street, but the old school street was dead.

I had an overpriced beet at Hooters on Soi 4 last night. It was not dead but it was not like in the past. The usual people were out and about.  It was a July evening so it was not packed like it would be in November.  I go to Hooters once or twice a year just to see if anything has changed.  This part of BKK just keeps rolling along. Even Covid could not kill it. Also, checked out Emishpere Mall which I believe is where the old Washington Square used to be.  Emisphere was impressive and I shall go back. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, n00dle said:

that and the fact that sex tourists and mongers are a rapidly dying breed.

Edit now that i think of it has literally been years since I had a guest that wanted to visit nana, cowboy or Patpong. Everyone wants to go out, just not to a gogo.

They probably want to goto those new trendy clubs like in Thonglor or whatever, or the emisphere (whatever that is). I feel like I'm too old for those.

Edited by JimTripper

the two places i've seen crowded in Patpong are Shenanigans and King Castle 1.  the main soi seems to be the only one with life, the other soi that had The Strip, Electric Blue (years ago), and Paddy Fields is not looking good at all.  Nana is far better than Cowboy if you are interested in go go bars.  i prefer Billboard, Geisha, and Red Dragon. 

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I think if I went into a go-go I would be the only one there.

Hey! You know you did. 😉 

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Sounds like no happy? You have to be a tad more philosophic about it. Now you got all the girls for yourself!

Plenty of people walking around, but with a few exceptions, Stumble Inn, Hilary 2(?) the Sports Bar on soi 11 it does look pretty desperate.

However, I'm usually asleep by 9pm so maybe it kicks off after that. 

• Haha 1

Bangkok has never recovered from the Covid wet blanket curfew. Even now most nightlife venues have to close around 2-2:30 which is ridiculously early. After years of this many of the tourists are gone - some moved on to Pattaya and Phuket, others simply stopped coming. With less demand for them, many of the girls moved too. With less girls and variety even more tourists choose to shun Bangkok, and the cycle repeats.

I'm writing this from my Pattaya. I used to live in Bangkok full time but I got bored with the same people and girls every night. I'd consider it a good month if I met more than a couple new girls in Bangkok. Here in Pattaya you can literally find a new girl every night, if you wanted to, the supply is endless.

All of my male close friends moved to Pattaya, and I know many girls who did too. Bangkok nightlife has been dying for a long time now.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Bangkok has never recovered from the Covid wet blanket curfew. Even now most nightlife venues have to close around 2-2:30 which is ridiculously early. After years of this many of the tourists are gone - some moved on to Pattaya and Phuket, others simply stopped coming. With less demand for them, many of the girls moved too. With less girls and variety even more tourists choose to shun Bangkok, and the cycle repeats.

I'm writing this from my Pattaya. I used to live in Bangkok full time but I got bored with the same people and girls every night. I'd consider it a good month if I met more than a couple new girls in Bangkok. Here in Pattaya you can literally find a new girl every night, if you wanted to, the supply is endless.

All of my male close friends moved to Pattaya, and I know many girls who did too. Bangkok nightlife has been dying for a long time now.

Nothing will ever be the same as before social media. The good looking girls and the smarter ones, have other ways now to make a living than going with older men for barging pay., 

In Phuket they at least charges decent pay for their services compared to Pattaya. Im not going to say it is correct, but last time we just had a few beers in a typical beer bar, the charges for take out was 1500, and 5000 for a naight in a decent bar in Patong. She might just trow some numbers out, and we didnt really going for any take away, so please enlighten me if Im wrong? Pattaya seems to stay on the cheaper side as I read frequently here with some mongers bragging about the rates. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I'm not sure how you can't find new girls in Bangkok? If you mean at the same bar, ok. Millions of people around though, while Pattaya is very limited. I was referring to customers in the red light areas, not girls. There still seem to be many girls.

I just got out of Pattaya after a year! In Pattaya, I was bored out of my mind. Same few bars (all pretty much the same) and foul attitudes all around. I just stayed in central though and walked. No driving around to those "hidden gems" and great areas elsewhere everyone seems to know about.

Edited by JimTripper

Not too long ago, I took an exploratory trip to Nana.  I didn’t stay long, but it seemed fairly typical to me.  Some bars were almost empty, some were hopping.  That was early in the night, though.  Maybe around 9PM.  

Posted (edited)

I wonder if the alcohol hours and early closures have anything to do with it?

Many people won't show up if they need to keep track of hours and closing times. It becomes a chore to plan when to show up and leave. Watching the clock basically.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Nothing will ever be the same as before social media. The good looking girls and the smarter ones, have other ways now to make a living than going with older men for barging pay., 

Agreed that social media reduces supply for sure, however that does not explain the massive differences between quantities in Bangkok clubs vs Pattaya clubs. A typical club in Pattaya will have 10x times the freelancers as a typical BKK club. The only explanation is girls choose to go work in Pattaya because they have more opportunities there (also what I've been told by girls who moved to Pattaya).

31 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I'm not sure how you can't find new girls in Bangkok? If you mean at the same bar, ok. Millions of people around though, while Pattaya is very limited. I was referring to customers in the red light areas, not girls. There still seem to be many girls.

It doesn't matter if Bangkok has millions of girls if none of them are frequenting foreigner-oriented clubs. Sure you can still find girls, but it's a lot harder than it used to be without the curfew.

I don't frequent red light areas, I stick to clubs. Back then clubs closed at 4-6am and even then there were after hours clubs with hundreds of people open until morning. Many bar girls would finish their shift at the bar/gogo and continue to party in clubs. These days in Bangkok most of them don't bother because most clubs are already closed when they finish work. In Pattaya most nights you'll see a parade of new faces after 3am as girls who finished their shift flow in.

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

With alcohol stopping at midnight. So, if we have sunset at 7pm, nightlife for most people starts at 9pm when it's nice and dark (and cool). That leaves 3 hours for a beer. A 2am venue closure means things feel like they are winding down around midnight, so most people leave around then.

Pretty accurate for Bangkok gogo bars. Typical night out for some of my friends would be 9-10pm at a gogo bar, around midnight move to a nightclub, and then keep bouncing to a different club when current one closes. For Pattaya completely different: gogo bar around 11pm-midnight, stay until they close at 3am, then go to a nightclub. Personally I skip the gogos and just go straight to the clubs. Saves money, liver percentage, and sanity as an introvert self-medicating to be social. :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Agreed that social media reduces supply for sure, however that does not explain the massive differences between quantities in Bangkok clubs vs Pattaya clubs. A typical club in Pattaya will have 10x times the freelancers as a typical BKK club. The only explanation is girls choose to go work in Pattaya because they have more opportunities there (also what I've been told by girls who moved to Pattaya).

It doesn't matter if Bangkok has millions of girls if none of them are frequenting foreigner-oriented clubs. Sure you can still find girls, but it's a lot harder than it used to be without the curfew.

I don't frequent red light areas, I stick to clubs. Back then clubs closed at 4-6am and even then there were after hours clubs with hundreds of people open until morning. Many bar girls would finish their shift at the bar/gogo and continue to party in clubs. These days in Bangkok most of them don't bother because most clubs are already closed when they finish work. In Pattaya most nights you'll see a parade of new faces after 3am as girls who finished their shift flow in.

Some who flow in after 3am have done more that "finished their shift"

Anybody who has not pulled by then might not care but...

Careful one does end up stirring the porridge

19 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Some who flow in after 3am have done more that "finished their shift"

More lubin' for the tubin'! 💦

Sadly you're probably not wrong. Reminds me of a certain girl who slept over one morning, we banged 5 times, then she said she has to go meet a customer down the road, which is fine and all, except she declined when I offered to give her a towel so she can shower. She went there without cleaning up at all. :sick: 

If this sort of thing worries you, it's probably best to stick to uglier freelancers 🤣, but even then there might be some stranger's DNA left over. Pro tip: never go down on a working girl.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

More lubin' for the tubin'! 💦

Sadly you're probably not wrong. Reminds me of a certain girl who slept over one morning, we banged 5 times, then she said she has to go meet a customer down the road, which is fine and all, except she declined when I offered to give her a towel so she can shower. She went there without cleaning up at all. :sick: 

If this sort of thing worries you, it's probably best to stick to uglier freelancers 🤣, but even then there might be some stranger's DNA left over. Pro tip: never go down on a working girl.

"Go ugly early" used to be my mantra

• At least back in 1980s 19-20 year old homely University gals in US had nice bodies  All fat now
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

cool. I'll be there to meet you 

Right on. I have to fly direct home to Siem from NYC (thats gonna be 7 hours to FRA, 11 to SIN and 3 home) in the middle of September, then I think the last 4-5 days are going to be for some sowing of my wild and loathesome oats in BKK.   

There is some controversy regarding the Mamasan in Rainbow 5 that I want to check out and I have a gift for the Boss at Thermae plus my dry spell will extend back to when I left Frankfurt in Jun. Ill be rarin to go.

51 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

We arent Johns. We are "boyfriends". 

For a moment at least.

Gentleman, I can't give the exact date that I first hit the fabled shores but it was BEFORE there was a Skytrain and when Yong Lee actually served food, there were Beer bars down by the tracks and I think I came in at DMK because there was no Swampy. 40 years? I can remember listening wide eyed in 1989 to Stickman and old timers at Woodstock in pre roofed Nana whinging about how things were dead and the action was better "Back then".

Well kiddies, Im 70 and uniquely unattractive and after 40ish years, Im still smashing 25 year old hardbodies down in lower Suk. I dont drink anymore so I dont care about the clubs and besides, we got weed. Ive seen bars and people and forums come and go, but its still the playground of the world down there, and as long as it lasts, some dude with nothing else to do is gonna whine about how its dead and the old days were better.

Ill be so decrepit by then that they will wheel me into Obsessions for ladyboy hand relief since Ill be incapable of much else.

I first came in the year 2000.  The airport back then was DMK and I don’t think there was a Skytrain, or if there was, they were still building much of it.  And I can remember eating at Woodstock in the afternoon. A burger and a few beers.  They had movies on during the day.