Russian National Arrested for Overstaying and 1 Million Baht Bribery Attempt in Surat Thani

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

During the arrest, Denis attempted to bribe the police for his freedom, saying he would ask his friend to bring 1 million baht to the officers within 20 minutes if they agreed to let him go.

Denis said he would pretend nothing had happened and that the police could take their families out for a delicious meal.

Police refused the bribe and took him to the Tourist Police Office for further legal proceedings. Denis reportedly remained cheerful even while in police custody. The man even gave a double thumbs-up while officers took his picture.

i am assuming only. But it reads like he offered them that money where others could hear. Hence their refusal would be outspoken as well. Let's wait and see what happens to this guy next. But I am also guessing, if this guy really has access to a million baht then why overstay? He could easily by the Visa package or afford a business visa. 

2 hours ago, sambum said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Would there be something wrong with that?

Are you capable of compiling a post containing more than one sentence?

How is that any concern of yours?   Ironically, you posted just one sentence whilst complaining about my one sentence post!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Good for who ?  I'm British and I quite enjoy the embarrassing spectacle of sanctimonious keyboard warriors working each other up into a frenzy. 

Your comment implies that you are concerned, do you think  that British people  might be  intimidated in some way ?   Well any that are ,  are a disgrace to their country, but the rest of us are always up for a frank exchange of views, and more than capable of looking after ourselves 

I'm afraid that our past "exchanges of views" has not been pleasant, so this "exchange" is now finished, and you are going on my "Ignore " list - I thought you were on already, to be honest.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

I'm afraid that our past "exchanges of views" has not been pleasant, so this "exchange" is now finished, and you are going on my "Ignore " list - I thought you were on already, to be honest.

Wow somebody is feeling sensitive today.  I really could not give a t0$$ about going on your ignore list, what does interest me though  is why you bothered  telling me . Did you actually expect me to be bothered ?   :cheesy:

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He didn't have a million, it would have been his friend's according to the article.

Trust you and your idiotic corrections. So his friends had a spare million, could have fixed visa issue easily 

• Haha 1

Facing 14,780 years of a Thai slammer?

The story might feature a flip side. The official punishment is 20,000 Baht fine and one year banned from entering Thailand. The rest is left to imagination 

21 hours ago, simon43 said:

That's an expensive rental rate.  I typically pay 2,000 baht per month!

Standard price on the Islands is 3000 baht per month 

2 hours ago, BestB said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He didn't have a million, it would have been his friend's according to the article.

Trust you and your idiotic corrections.

You're right, fallacious comments are always preferable to accuracy by by those with challenged reading ability.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Trust you and your idiotic corrections. So his friends had a spare million, could have fixed visa issue easily 

A rather idiotic solution on your part,   Nobody or their money could have "fixed his visa issue"  at least certainly not legally and in this case not even illegally.         He was caught on 175 day overstay!   one cannot simply buy a visa there and then and everything is OK.   Any visa or extension would need to be sorted out prior to arrival or prior to  when ones current extension to stay expires

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2024 at 6:53 AM, ronster said:

Why did he not use the one million to legally set up a company with employees or just buy himself an elite visa to stay for years hassle free . 

It was too late, he had already been caught

On 7/11/2024 at 9:34 AM, watchcat said:

I wonder why?  He had money to try bribe the police, butt not to extend his visa.

It's really not rocket science is it?      If you are having trouble working out the thought processes that got him into his predicament, then perhaps  the following two simple  analogies might help -:     

1)    Somebody who ends up paying a £100 parking fine because he wouldn't  pay £5 for a parking ticket, despite being able to afford it 

2)    A shoplifter getting caught with  £100 worth of stolen goods  who has £100 or more in his pocket

Its not always a case of not having the money,  many who do have the money would prefer to hold onto it if they can,  he thought he would get away with not paying for a visa, thought he could save himself a bit of money , thought he would not get caught, unfortunately he was wrong 

• Haha 1