What makes life in Thailand still so great?

Social media apps on cell phones changed everthing everywhere. 

Distinct cultures are being meld into one.  That one being the western culture.

And if you are from the west, it's actually the culture you dislike that is being adapted  here rapidly. 

You loved all the differences.

From clothes styles, TV/MOVIE quality, music sounds, attitudes, and beliefs they have been imported.

Where once you might have been exotic, now you are an intruder? (not sure if locals opinion has changed on this one I'm not old enough).
All that you brought here is not distincltly "yours" anymore that made you exotic.  They also now have access to everything as it's been duplicated over here.

I live in the digital age...but I can only imagine how one's own stock took a huge drop once beautiful women now are inundated with 1,000'-10,000 white knights messages in their apps VS them having only the choice of their physical radius of people they met.

***this is actually a  problem for most men worldwide.  The influx of messages and choices they have mean you are disposable af.  It's created a  narcism that is fueled perpetually.  

That's my quick 2 cents on why people's joy with here may have faded.

I'm not old enough to have experiences the past way, but I can imagine how much more exciting it was to change cultures before.

However, godbless translation app lol

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Social media apps on cell phones changed everthing everywhere. 

Distinct cultures are being meld into one.  That one being the western culture.

And if you are from the west, it's actually the culture you dislike that is being adapted  here rapidly. 

You loved all the differences.

From clothes styles, TV/MOVIE quality, music sounds, attitudes, and beliefs they have been imported.

Where once you might have been exotic, now you are an intruder? (not sure if locals opinion has changed on this one I'm not old enough).
All that you brought here is not distincltly "yours" anymore that made you exotic.  They also now have access to everything as it's been duplicated over here.

I live in the digital age...but I can only imagine how one's own stock took a huge drop once beautiful women now are inundated with 1,000'-10,000 white knights messages in their apps VS them having only the choice of their physical radius of people they met.

***this is actually a  problem for most men worldwide.  The influx of messages and choices they have mean you are disposable af.  It's created a  narcism that is fueled perpetually.  

That's my quick 2 cents on why people's joy with here may have faded.

I'm not old enough to have experiences the past way, but I can imagine how much more exciting it was to change cultures before.

However, godbless translation app lol

Good analysis of how foreigners in Thailand no longer seem exotic to the locals. But that doesn't necessarily change the lifestyle of a foreigner in Thailand. I also don't think that the foreign men living in Thailand will struggle to find a local partner if they want one simply because of dating apps and the digital revolution.

Anyway, my questions were more about what draws foreigners to the lifestyle in Thailand rather than how the locals may now feel about foreigners. 

Also, the friends of mine who finally left, didn't leave for any of those reasons. They mainly missed the natural and clean environments of where they came from. They missed hiking, the seasons, the outdoors, the better air quality, etc and they seemed to have gotten a bit tired of all the adventure when living in a developing country. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

TH is only a destination. like everywhere else.

Life is always great, no matter where I am :coffee1:

TH ... most of the country, just avoid smog season

USA ... lived in MI, WV, FL, PA, NJ ... all very nice

Just now, Presnock said:

I first came to Thailand in 1972 - worked for a year mostly in NKP, then came back with my family in 1976-1979 living on Soi Thong lor in a rented house.  In those days there were no fast food restaurants of the west.  If one wanted to buy any western foods, Villamaket on soi 33 Sukumvit was the only store with anything from the west.  Of course there were no milk or icecream from the west.  TV was black and white, andy any programs from the west one had to have a radio to tune to the station that carried the sound track for that program.  During Xmas time, there was no XMAS carols being played in any of the shopping areas (i.e. Central Dept store), there were no XMAS decorations nor fir trees fake or real available.  Bangkok flooded big time every rainy season with small boats even at certain intersections to ferry people across the streets.  Traffic was bad even then on Sukumvit and throughout the city.  There were no trains moving folks around the way of today.  Even 10 years ago, there were very few of the train routes available.  I personally grew bored of fighting traffic so moved to CM 10 years ago - when daughter began college in BKK, we rented a house here and am amazed at how quickly we can get from zone to zone in the city today!  Much cheaper than wasting all the fuel in the road traffic and much more timely today.  Travelling outside BKK was easy in the "old" days, many times we would drive early morning to HuaHin, be the only people literally on the entire beach, enjoy the day there, giant prawns 1 dollar each and the size of lobsters truly, then drive back to BKK in the late afternoon.  Would go play golf in neighboring provinces early morning, sometimes two rounds, cost of 5 USD per round, enjoy lunch between rounds and then drive back to BKK before nightfall - total cost less than 30 dollars for all day including meals, gas and golf and caddie fee.  Even world famous golf courses i.e. Navatanee built in 1973 for the 1975 World Cup was available and very cheap.  Khao Yai had a golf course (now closed) that needed armed guards due to tigers, had rope bridges across deep canyons to some par 3's - caddies would not go into rough for wayward shots due to dangers, my group lost 80 balls on the first 9 holes! but even though 3 of us had never played golf before, it was so much fun we bought clubs the following week a lot due to the Khao Yai course - even though monkeys stole a couple of those balls.  In those days, it was almost impossible to see a fat Thai person, most were shorter than those of today, sorta like if you go to Myanmar (when not fighting) you would note how short most of the locals were.  But, while Thailand has changed, especially the major cities, there are still an abundance of countryside that is totally undeveloped and great for trekking and just wondering around in nature.  Beaches are much more crowded today with too many foreigners.  However, the waters off most beaches are not crystal clear except along the Andaman Sea.  Even in the old days, we were warned about pollution in some of the waters in popular beaches.  But, Thailand is still my choice for retirement.  I am a lot older, and enjoy the greater comforts of today versus the old days.  But  younger folks may feel different.  TYhe political scene remains the same - military still want to control as much as possible.  There were problems in the old days and still come up here occasionally in the same way.  There used to be no cellphones at all but that has changed the world and not in such a positive way totally in my opinion.  Smart phones remind me of just what a dinosaur I am but technology zooms more verticle all the time so AI I am sure will rule the world in the not-too-distant future.  I still love life here and can't imagine having to depart...all depends on the changing immigration/tax/political leanings affecting life here and since my career moved me from country to country many many times, I could leave if necessary.  I do wish the best of all for everyone here - I realize it is not the paradise it once may have been for some just like it is today - "for some".

BTW: during my life I have lived in Japan, VN, Burma, Indonesia, PI, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Malta, Angola, Zambia, Guatemala, California, Maryland, Texas so have not been restricted to any one type of life nor language having studied more than 10 of those.

16 hours ago, susanlea said:

Pattaya - was a dump, still a dump

less of a dump than where I come from.

you dont need to partake in the bar scene if it repulses you.

ps. bangkok bernie, lucky you your name starts with a B, so you can use a cute handle with Bangkok in it. you're destined to be in thailand. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, susanlea said:

Thailand has not changed much at all. These guys got older and got bored. So they went home for medicare.

Boredom is the biggest challenge in Thailand. I at more ease and kreativ back home than in Thailand. 

The best thing with Thailand for me when first came here, was walking the beach and swim in the morning. But after that you got a 14 hours to fill in with something. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, susanlea said:

Bangkok - not changed 1 bit.

Chiang Mai - maybe pollution worse?

Pattaya - was a dump, still a dump

Hua Hin - gotten better

Phuket - same as before

Krabi - gotten worse

Isaan - gotten better

Others - much the same

I could live in Pai for awhile actually. It is nice down by the rivers a bit outside where the rivers seems clear and clean. Refreshing to sup and kayak padle there as well swimming. Got my dirt bikes where there is hips of options for expeditions in any directions on jungle tracks and dirt roads. Can travel for days in that area visiting smaller resorts. Thats kind of exotic and different. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I could live in Pai for awhile actually. It is nice down by the rivers a bit outside where the rivers seems clear and clean. Refreshing to sup and kayak padle there as well swimming. Got my dirt bikes where there is hips of options for expeditions in any directions on jungle tracks and dirt roads. Can travel for days in that area visiting smaller resorts. Thats kind of exotic and different. 

Pai is in a very nice spot, but too remote, too boring, and too limited for full time living. And the road access, with all the hundreds of twists and turns, is off putting. 

9 minutes ago, Terrance8812 said:

Pai is in a very nice spot, but too remote, too boring, and too limited for full time living. And the road access, with all the hundreds of twists and turns, is off putting. 

For someone who loves riding motorbikes, it is a dream. And I said for awhile, not permanent 😄

If I was single, Pai and  Koh Phangan would had been two destinations among two more  Islands I do not want to advertise for to loud and broadly for because they are not really visited by the masses yet. 

On the other hand, I would not live a single life in Thailand or anywhere for that sake, but thats me

I'm in Pai at the moment it's the last night of the Jazz and Blues Festival, pretty busy, we came up from Chiang Mai with the Unsanctioned Riders group.

• Love It 1

On 7/13/2024 at 7:36 PM, susanlea said:

Thailand has not changed much at all. These guys got older and got bored. So they went home for medicare.

I went back for the public health service and can't ever go back to live in LOS. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Thailand will always be better because it's not full of woke, PC western feminist BS.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

On the other hand, I would not live a single life in Thailand or anywhere for that sake, but thats me

Some of us can't afford a woman, and they all cost. If there is a land where women will pay for themselves to live with an old fat man with multiple health problems I'm not aware of it.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Terrance8812 said:

What put me off Pai was the farang ghetto. I preferred Mae Hong Son, though if I had my druthers I'd live at Cave Lodge.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

What put me off Pai was the farang ghetto. I preferred Mae Hong Son, though if I had my druthers I'd live at Cave Lodge.

MHS is very remote.

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

IMO there are 2 Pais. One is the attractive outskirts, and the other is the concrete disaster where the farangs hang out

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO there are 2 Pais. One is the attractive outskirts, and the other is the concrete disaster where the farangs hang out

About right. The valley area is nice. Centre of town a mess. 

• Like 1