JD Vance, under Labour, UK may now be the First Islamist Country to get a Nuclear Weapon

Social Media

image.png.ea303fe7a516b9f981454eab0d0fe217.png

Donald Trump has announced that first-term Senator JD Vance will be his running mate for the 2024 presidential election. This decision comes after a series of dramatic events, including an assassination attempt on Trump during a campaign rally in Pennsylvania. The announcement has sparked controversy due to Vance's recent comments about the United Kingdom, which he described as potentially the world’s first “Islamist country” with nuclear weapons under a Labour government.

JD Vance, who has spent less than two years in Congress, made the contentious remarks during a speech at the National Conservatism Conference. Recounting a conversation with a friend, Vance speculated about which Islamist nation might first acquire nuclear weapons. He said, "We were like ‘maybe it’s Iran, maybe Pakistan already kind of counts’ and then we decided maybe actually it’s the UK since Labour just took over." He further addressed his “Tory friends” in the UK, urging them to address what he perceives as a significant issue.

Vance’s remarks have drawn criticism and concern, particularly given the sensitivity of nuclear weapons and international relations. The 39-year-old Republican's comments come at a time when he is transitioning from being a critic of Trump to a staunch supporter. In 2016, Vance reportedly told an associate, "I go back and forth between thinking Trump is a cynical asshole ... or that he's America's Hitler." Despite this, Vance has rallied behind Trump in recent months, aligning himself closely with the former President.

Vance is best known for his best-selling memoir "Hillbilly Elegy," which chronicles his blue-collar upbringing in the "rust-belt" Midwest. The Yale-educated entrepreneur and Marine veteran ran for the Senate in 2022, securing a win with Trump's crucial endorsement. His political positions, including his strong anti-abortion stance, have made him a prominent figure within the Republican Party. Recently, he expressed his commitment to Trump, saying, "I want to help him [Trump] however I can."

UK Minister Rejects JD Vance's Claim That Britain Is a Nuclear Islamist Country

Treasury minister James Murray has firmly rejected the controversial claim by Donald Trump's running mate, JD Vance, that Britain is now the first nuclear "Islamist" country. In a recent response, Murray emphasized the "enormous strength" of diversity in the UK and underscored the importance of the UK's relationship with the United States, irrespective of individual opinions.

JD Vance, who was recently announced as Trump’s vice-presidential pick, made the contentious remark at a National Conservatism event. Vance recounted a conversation he had with a friend about which country might be the first truly Islamist nation to obtain a nuclear weapon. He said, "What is the first truly Islamist country that will get a nuclear weapon? And we were like maybe it’s Iran, maybe Pakistan already kinda counts, and then we finally decided maybe it’s actually the UK since Labour just took over."

Responding to these comments, James Murray told Sky News, "I don’t know what he means by that. Obviously we disagree on those particular comments that he has made." Murray highlighted the longstanding and significant relationship between the UK and the US, stating, "But the relationship between the UK and the US is more important than any individuals. It’s about the relationship between our countries which goes back so long and which is so important for our national security and economic growth."

Pressed further on the "Islamist" label used by Vance, Murray defended the UK's diversity and its new Labour government. "In Britain, we are very proud of our diversity. I’m very proud that we have a new Government, I’m very proud that our Labour government is committed to national security and economic growth. I’m very clear where we are, I don’t really know how that comment fits in."

The remarks by Vance have also drawn criticism from other political figures. Shadow veterans minister Andrew Bowie expressed his disapproval, stating, "I disagree with the Labour Party fundamentally on many issues, but I do not agree with that view, quite frankly. I think it’s actually quite offensive, frankly, to my colleagues in the Labour Party."

JD Vance, who has been in Congress for less than two years, has quickly become a prominent figure within the Republican Party, thanks in part to his alignment with Trump. His recent comments and rapid political rise have placed him at the center of a heated debate about international relations and national security.

The UK government, represented by figures like James Murray, remains focused on maintaining strong ties with the US while celebrating its own diversity. This commitment to diversity and international partnership stands in stark contrast to the divisive rhetoric that has surfaced in the current political climate.

Credit: The Standard 2024-07-17

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m guessing that if Vance had any thoughts on the U.K. during the tenure of Sunak, being a Hindu nation with a bomb he kept those to himself.

I'm guessing that the whole concept, for Vance, would have simply have been beyond comprehension, utterly!

Maybe he wasn't really talking about nukes and Brits and Muslims.   Maybe it's a comment on the dangers of open borders and unfettered immigration.

TBH, I haven't found the actual video because most social is blocked here.  I will eventually.

• Like 1

I thought it was quite amusing. People these days have no sense of humour and are so quick to take offence.

I know next to nothing about Vance but he's a confident public speaker. Listening to any politician for more than a few minutes is never very entertaining, but this guy is better than many. If made to choose, I'd certainly listen to him over Trump, Biden or Harris. 

Here's the full speech from which the 'nooks comment was extracted. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

In a recent response, Murray emphasized the "enormous strength" of diversity in the UK and underscored the importance of the UK's relationship with the United States, irrespective of individual opinions.

I doubt that people in the US care about the UK or what its politicians think, except maybe the ones who like to watch PBS.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I doubt that people in the US care about the UK or what its politicians think, except maybe the ones who like to watch PBS.

Generally yeah, but too many hear sound bites like what Vance said, and that's what sticks in their brains.  They won't, nor want to spend the time to, understand the context, the bigger picture or whether it was an attempted joke.  But they will remember that byte when they meet a Brit, and then they'll be an a$$h0le.

I'd love for Biden & Trump to stand down, and RFK Jr ain't much younger so him too.  Vance?  Sure, happy for him to run for President.  Hope the Democrats could put someone decent up too.  The USA needs to move on quickly, and that ain't happening with the current candidates.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

Allies :cheesy:

America is 50x stronger than the UK. Saved their asses in ww2. 

Yeah, mostly true.  Reckon the Soviet Union did a lot of UK ass saving too, and so did the other 20+ nations who fought on the side of the Allies.  I'm sure the Brits will be forever grateful for the US sacrifices, and for the sacrifices from all the other nations.  Except their ex-Prime Minister, who left the latest D-Day commemoration early for self-serving reasons...

• Haha 2

What he said is a warning about the situation in GB and in general in Europe.

Sweden who was the most peaceful country with the highest standard of living in Europe is on fire since these fluxes of "refugees". I recently saw a report in England with demonstrations by Afghans with known terrorist leaders, who each time provoke the police a little more in order to trigger clashes. Germany, France, the Netherlands, Denmark etc. are in the same situation. This remark is a way of sounding the alarm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

what is the population of each country ? 

The OP you replied to said 3.7 million muslims in the UK, most recent figure available is nearly 4.0 million.  There have been a lot of boats crossing the Channel in the last few years (!).  4.0 million is about 6% of UK population, so in no way does reality match what Vance said.  USA is about 3.4 million muslims, or about 1%.  So, smaller percentage but roughly the same number.

• Like 1

Interesting pick for Trump...

During the 2016 presidential election, JD Vance toured the national media circuit to promote his memoir and explain why he detested then-candidate Donald Trump.

In one NPR interview, he joked that he would rather write in his dog on the ballot than vote for Trump or Democrat Hillary Clinton.

"I think that I'm going to vote third party because I can't stomach Trump," the "Hillbilly Elegy" author said at the time. "I think that he's noxious and is leading the white working class to a very dark place."

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/2024/07/15/how-jd-vance-evolved-from-trump-critic-to-vice-president-pick/74372572007/

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Both the UK and USA have similar number of muslims - roughly around 3.7 million people. 

Totally idiotic comments. 

slight difference in total % , don't you think, if uk has 80 million and usa 320 - 340 ?

2 hours ago, john donson said:

slight difference in total % , don't you think, if uk has 80 million and usa 320 - 340 ?

Love the range of numbers for the US population.  Who knows the numbers walking through the southern or northern borders, so who knows the real population!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a bunch of Members of the UK Parliament on the BBC radio at the moment.  One says that they know that Vance was making a joke, being flippant, when he said what he said, but they know that most people won't see it that way as the media are not reporting the context properly.  All the other MPs jumped on Vance for saying what he said, not in any way considering that it was obvious he was joking.

Oh dear.

Hope Vance learns a little from this if he becomes VP, and remembers that the majority of journalists either don't have the IQ to recognise a joke or have a negative modus operandi and will deliberately mis-report to have their outlet earn advertising dollars.  Idiots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Both the UK and USA have similar number of muslims - roughly around 3.7 million people. 

Totally idiotic comments. 

You may be right, I haven't looked at it. But there is a huge difference in percentage terms in each country. The impact (of Muslim population) is much more noticeable in the United Kingdom, and, frequently, are much more vocal and activist than in the USA. Vance is like the all-too-typical American, doesn't know much about what is going on outside of his own country. For example, ask an American to find Africa on a world map - it takes forever!