Six Vietnamese Found Dead in Bangkok Hotel Room

webfact

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

Carbon Monoxide poisoning? Cooking BBQ inside the room?

My email alert reads as follows: "Six Vietnamese nationals mysteriously died at a luxury hotel in Bangkok after allegedly drinking tea and coffee mixed with poison".

This article reads: "The police have yet to find any poison containers or additional evidence that could provide immediate answers."

It looks like they are making it up as they go.

They were stupid to post the room number. If I was the manager I would not be happy about that and possibly sue the reporter.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

6 Vietnamese nationals found dead at hotel in Bangkok
by Petch Petpailin

COVER-PIC-1-1.webp

Photo via MGR Online

Six Vietnamese nationals mysteriously died today at a luxury hotel in Bangkok after allegedly drinking tea and coffee mixed with poison. Police believe there may be a seventh Vietnamese but that individual has not been located.

The deaths of the six foreigners were reported to the Metropolitan Police Bureau at approximately 7.30pm today, July 16. They were reportedly found lifeless in the same room on the sixth floor of the luxury hotel near the Ratchaprasong intersection.

The name of the hotel has not yet been confirmed, but some news agencies reported that it was the five-star Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel.

According to a report on Brick Info TV, they were scheduled to check out today, and all of their belongings were packed up ready to leave.

Several Thai news agencies initially reported that all of the foreigners had died in a shooting. However, police later confirmed that there were no traces of fighting or struggling found at the scene.

The Commander of the Investigation Division of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Teeradate Thammasutee, arrived at the scene at about 8.30pm. Teeradate reported that all of the deceased were Vietnamese nationals, and two of them also held American citizenship.

They are identified as below:

Sherine Chong (56 years old)

Hung Dang Van (55 years old)

Thi Nguyen Phuong Lan (47 years old)

Hong Pham Thanh (49 years old)

Dinh Tran Phu (37 years old)

Thi Nguyen Phuong (46 years old)

According to Teeradate, police suspected that the victims were poisoned, as leftover tea and coffee were found at the scene. However, officers will transfer the bodies to the Police General Hospital for a thorough autopsy.

Regarding the motive for the murders, officers believe it might be related to a business or personal conflict among the deceased. Another possibility is that the deaths were a sacrifice to some cult.

The Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, Torsak Sukvimol, arrived at the scene at about 8.30pm. According to Torsak, each Vietnamese individual arrived in Thailand at different times and entered the country on tourist visas.

The investigation into the cause and motive of their deaths continues.

More to follow.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Let's get our CSI headgear on don't worry about the fibers 🤔

9 hours ago, Lorry said:

As for the cause,  Nation  TV reports cyanide poisoning. 

No Thai would ever do that.

It must be suicide. 

Srettha was already on the crime scene, as was Torsak, so we can be sure it will be a very thorough and professional investigation. 

There is a Thai woman in gaol now for doing that to a 'friends'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65395398

20 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Just because they found their luggage does not mean it was full of clothes and sundry. When you go to Walmart to buy a new Piece of luggage do you expect it to be full of clothes and such?

In a hotel room, in the possession of guests, I would expect it to contain clothing.

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then, please explain this:

Why would they have drunk their tea/water/sports drink/cola....BEFORE they even touched their meal?

Only one meal's plastic wrap is even uncovered.

Nobody sits down at table, FIRST drinks tea and coffee, and THEN eats their food....do they?

Tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

They may have been Boat People....

That would be completely irrelevant. If they had a large suite at the Hyatt, they have done well, and spent decades working hard. The entire sorry smells fishy. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So now, from UPI, we see mentioned a trace of "WHITE POWDER" residue around the tea/coffee cups....

image.png.e0594ca0d3c5d836f148413914438c75.png

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2024/07/16/Thailand-Bangkok-poison-six-dead-Grand-Hyatt-Thiti-Saengsawang-Srettha-Thavisin/1341721155627/

Also, if a white powder, then this could be consistent with Fentanyl.

If it were a cultist suicide, as has been suggested, why would anyone choose to ingest CN, which is painful.

It would be more logical to take Fentanyl, which is just as lethal, but probably completely painless.

How could it be another party that did the poisoning, if there was this white powder visible on/around the cups?

Would you drink tea from a cup with white powder residue easily visible?

And, again, why the container of honey?

Foaming of the mouth suggests they might have used cyanide. They were probably well organized and knew what they were doing. 2 grams of potassium or sodium cyanide dissolved in half a glass of water on an empty stomach or packed into a gelatin capsule and washed down with a glass of cold water would facilitate a very quick death and not be painful (it's the dose the matters).  

10 hours ago, Lorry said:

Bloomberg reported originally that all 6 are Americans of Vietnamese descent. 

"6 Vietnamese dead" certainly is a lot less damage to Thailand than  "6 Americans dead"

Bloomberg has now changed it to "4  Vietnamese and 2 Vietnamese with American citizenship" - no real Americans.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-07-16/thailand-probes-deaths-of-six-foreigners-at-bangkok-luxury-hotel?srnd=homepage-asia

Most of tourists coming to Thailand are Asian. 

6 farangs dead is a lot less damage than 6 asians dead

The Chinese already think that Thailand is unsafe. This incident won't help.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Do you really think Chinese people feel unsafe in Thailand, after what goes on in China? I don't think so.

We have to watch out for herds of Chinese people, who will walk right over you if you don't get out of their way. The other day I was at a 7-Eleven checkout and a middle-aged Chinese woman shoved me out of the way, and I'm over 100kg. They don't scare easily and have zero consideration for other people.

Yes, I do think that. You might think otherwise but you would be wrong. The BBC has reported on it.

The government predicted as many as five million Chinese tourist arrivals by the end of the year - still less than half the nearly 11 million who came in 2019. But a big improvement on last year, when there were only 270,000.

That rosy scenario has turned out to be far too optimistic. Fewer than 2.5 million came in the first nine months of 2023.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67305693

1 minute ago, ShaneOTraveller said:

OMG!! What a Tragedy they really need to know what happened here so they can prevent any future poisonings from happening. Scary Times in Bangkok.

Quite the opposite. 

Nobody should know whatever happened. 

People will be scared.

By the apparent lack of violence in any form , one can come to the conclusion that it was collective suicide ...

Or , they have been intentionally poisoned by somebody .

Need to check if they had social media accounts and , if so , what was posted recently ...

May be that provides a clue .

There are simply not enough facts provided yet .

At this point , all is pure speculation .

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3g3prgzzjpo

" Seven people were booked to stay at the hotel, but only five checked in and one person is currently unaccounted for, Metropolitan police chief Lt Gen Thiti Saengswang said.

... It also appears that two of the victims tried to get to the hotel suite's door, which was locked from the inside, but did not manage to reach it in time. "

Were they anti-government Vietnamese Americans? If so, it would not surprise me if the government of Vietnam pulled a Putin-style poisoning on them. Of course, it could be some shady business dealings gone bad.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

over zealous use of fumagation chemicals perhaps, mysterious hotel deaths exactly like this have happened before 

I wonder what they were doing in Thailand, business, tourism, government assignment ?

reported that there was a 7th member of the party, sounds like something out of an Ian Fleming novel

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Lets wait and see how the bunch of AN super smart Sherlock Holmes fare!

All the best, let's keep our fingers crossed!

do you know what a discussion is ?

are you an adult

you seem to have no understanding of either

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Foaming of the mouth suggests they might have used cyanide. They were probably well organized and knew what they were doing. 2 grams of potassium or sodium cyanide dissolved in half a glass of water on an empty stomach or packed into a gelatin capsule and washed down with a glass of cold water would facilitate a very quick death and not be painful (it's the dose the matters).  

Good we have so many poison experts on AN

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

My email alert reads as follows: "Six Vietnamese nationals mysteriously died at a luxury hotel in Bangkok after allegedly drinking tea and coffee mixed with poison".

This article reads: "The police have yet to find any poison containers or additional evidence that could provide immediate answers."

It looks like they are making it up as they go.

They were stupid to post the room number. If I was the manager I would not be happy about that and possibly sue the reporter.

This is an international Hi-So hotel. The rules are different, and manager has no say whatsoever.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, smedly said:

over zealous use of fumagation chemicals perhaps, mysterious hotel deaths exactly like this have happened before 

At the erawan grand hyatt? doubtful.

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I wonder if the poison used was.....

FENTANYL

?

this was my first thought but this doesn't seem like a crew of addicts