21 minutes ago, george said:

You can only get the DTV visa once.

First full confirmation I have read on that.. Comments for sources I trust have been unclear. 

5 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Not what immigration are saying. Multiple entries as many as you arrive for over 5 years. 

And yes, tax residence is implied and no 0% tax rate as per LTR for non domestic sourced income. 

Yes I agree with immigration you can come and go as much as you want in the 5 years for a total time of 360 days in that 5 years, if you want to stay longer than 180 days extension costs 10000 again and then your dtv might be stamped as used and no more entries either but, like I said I am no expert on who they are looking at this visa.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, humbug said:

Isn't it just 180 days us one more 180 days in a 5 year period?

How will this compete with a 5 year continued stay visa, or are people getting mixed messages, in how long they can use the visa for

I believe folks are guessing/wishing how this visa will pan out..my gut feeling is a total of 360 days within the 5-year period but like I say I am guessing too.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, anrcaccount said:

Agree LivingLOS, it is quite simple. 

Unlimited entries in a 5 year period. Each entry, 180 days stay,( unless you reach the end of the 5 years e.g. enter 30 days before the end of the 5 years, stay permission stamp only valid 30 days until end of the visa)

Each stay can be extended at local immigration(if required), for an additional 180 days. After 360 days consecutively, you would have to leave and re enter. However if you left after say 150 days, on re entry you get 180 days.  

Cost of extension will be 1900 as per every other extension, but has been reported at 10000, I believe this will prove to be incorrect. BKK Immigration stated extensions at 1900. 

Tax is a separate discussion, which should be had on separate threads. 

Perfectly stated with the exception of at the end of the 5 years. Every other visa issued it is that you must enter before the end of the visa and you get the permission of stay stamp associated with that visa issued, same as a ME non imm 1 year giving 1 year and 90 days (89 if you count entry day) or ME TR giving 60 days entry past the end date of the visa valdity. 

It would be very strange (but not impossible) to see them adopt sopmething different, so logically this can be used with care for 5 years 179 days and possibly even another 180 extension for 5 years 360 days. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Thats not what immigration have said.. there is no 360 day limit anywhere mentioned (you have any source for that).. Also the extension is 1900 baht according to immigration sources. 

As I have been told it 180 days per entry, extendible once for 1900 thb, repeated as many times as you like over 5 years. We will see, I have a lot of visa options so wont cry about it if it as you say. 

what I read says " get 180 day stay with available with one 180 day extension for a cost of 10K and then they will mark the visa as "USED" with user no longer eligible for another within 5 years.  My read anyway but like the rest of you just guessing too,.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Perfectly stated with the exception of at the end of the 5 years. Every other visa issued it is that you must enter before the end of the visa and you get the permission of stay stamp associated with that visa issued, same as a ME non imm 1 year giving 1 year and 90 days (89 if you count entry day) or ME TR giving 60 days entry past the end date of the visa valdity. 

It would be very strange (but not impossible) to see them adopt sopmething different, so logically this can be used with care for 5 years 179 days and possibly even another 180 extension for 5 years 360 days. 

In the past what you say was correct, but this user here summed it up here in this related thread:  (gazette states stamps are now not to exceed the visa validity): 

I thhink a lot of people are thinking that the immigration folks are going to hang out the elite visa buyers without all the benefits of the DTV - after all the elite buyers are spending tons (literally) more money for their 5 years and if they see the DTV being so much better, they will not buy the elite visa for themselves or their family members.  I have been surprised about the tax exempt of the LTR which is much cheaper than the elite also but guess the eliters are much richer...I am not an expert by any means but I think there seems to be a lot of wishful thinking from prospective buyers of the DTV.  good health to all.

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

What is the point with the new unlimited (in theory) 60s TVs now ?

Do nothing and fly in.. Zero effort.. 

Its 60 day (and+30) visa exempt unlimited now which makes applying for tourist visas a moot point. 

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

The boi ltr does get assistance from the boi in obtaining a Thai work permit....now what that allows one to do, I sure don't know but I also have seen nothing about tax exemptions under the DTV as there currently is with the LTR.  Like too much with visas and permits, immigration, boi etc, I am less than a novice but have a belief in the chances of a bad situation concenring any of them, does impact on what I do sign up for.  I like the LTR, have read tons about it, including the royal decree, translations, etc and yeah they could possibly withdraw that tax exemption.  But there is still the DTA and until they decide that they will toss that treaty away from the t61 countries with which they have such treaties, then I will still feel okay about staying here.  All we as expats can do about any of this is accept what comes around and then decide to stay or go somewhere else.  Many other countries are making decisions on these new taxes too and some will be good for expats and some not so good.  I hope all here have good luck!

I have yet to see anywhere that the DTV holder can remit foreign income tax free.  where is that written?

Thailand LTR Visa holders under the "Highly-Skilled-Professionals" category can benefit from a discounted personal income tax rate of 17%. A digital work permit will be issued at the same time as the visa. Thai LTR Visa holders under the "Work-from-Thailand Professional" category can not obtain a work permit. The OP falls under the WORK FROM THAILAND PROFESSIONAL category of the LTR and persons that fall under that category can't get a work permit nor require one as per Thai law.. Do you see my point now?????

Further, DTV holders are not exempt from filing personal income tax in Thailand. 

You don't even have an LTR visa so why does this concern you?  The OP for some reason still thinks he is entitled to a  work permit and the disturbing thing is that he seems to thin k he needs one and is entitled to one. 

Edited by wmlc

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Flat out incorrect, according to many many statements by the labour office, immigration, court cases (deported people doing exactly this), the BOI, the Elite people, the 'my mate nate' youtuber saga, may respectecd legal companies, etc. 

It is poorly enforced but if you are an agent and dealing with advising clients and claiming it is actually legal, everything you say is now suspect. 

Why do you think the royal decree on this states "work remotely in a special case as relating to this announcement" ??

Thailand LTR Visa holders under the "Highly-Skilled-Professionals" category can benefit from a discounted personal income tax rate of 17%. A digital work permit will be issued at the same time as the visa. Thai LTR Visa holders under the "Work-from-Thaialnd Professional" category can not obtain a work permit. You fall under the Work from Thailand professional category and you don't need a work permit and don't qualify for one either. You are clueless on this point. 

Go ahead and try all you want, but you won't get any work permit under the the Work From Thailand Professional Category or the DTV and you don't require one either as long as you don't promote your business in Thailand and don't sell your products and services here to people and businesses inside Thailand. 

Do you really think the Thai government is that stupid to have the DTV and LTR visa category work from Thailand professional when you need a work permit you can't get in those two situations? You are the one who is flat out incorrect!!!

I will get right on advising my clients that they need a work permit if they are here as a digital nomad on the DTV and LTR visa category working from Thailand professional. Then I will tell them to waste their time like you are doing by going to the Labor office to try and convince them to issue one. That would go well with my clients. "I am advising you that you need a work permit, but wait, you can't get one lol. 

Edited by wmlc

12 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Thailand LTR Visa holders under the "Highly-Skilled-Professionals" category can benefit from a discounted personal income tax rate of 17%. A digital work permit will be issued at the same time as the visa. Thai LTR Visa holders under the "Work-from-Thailand Professional" category can not obtain a work permit. The OP falls under the WORK FROM THAILAND PROFESSIONAL category of the LTR and persons that fall under that category can't get a work permit nor require one as per Thai law.. Do you see my point now?????

Further, DTV holders are not exempt from filing personal income tax in Thailand. 

You don't even have an LTR visa so why does this concern you?  The OP for some reason still thinks he is entitled to a  work permit and the disturbing thing is that he seems to thin k he needs one and is entitled to one. 

LTR visa holders can get an "online" work permit if one wants to work 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

LTR visa holders can get an "online" work permit if one wants to work 

Only for the highly skilled professional category. The OP falls under the work from Thailand professional category and can't get a digital work permit for that category. End of story. Go debate with someone else on the Thaigher forum. Under you twisted logic the wealthy pensioner category of the LTR visa category can also get a work permit.  Dead wrong! 

Edited by wmlc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Only for the highly skilled professional category. The OP falls under the work from Thailand professional category and can't get a digital work permit for that category. End of story. Go debate with someone else on the Thaigher forum. 

just quoted the boi ltr benefits re work permit...I have an ltr but to me retirement means "no work" and I really don't care if one wants to work here or not and for most of the things I see on this forum when folks make statements, some times it seems to me to be guessing based on my reading of the materials on that activity.  Just saying...have a good day.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Presnock said:

just quoted the boi ltr benefits re work permit...I have an ltr but to me retirement means "no work" and I really don't care if one wants to work here or not and for most of the things I see on this forum when folks make statements, some times it seems to me to be guessing based on my reading of the materials on that activity.  Just saying...have a good day.

I am not guessing, but it seems you are. Thanks for coming out. Next time read the fine print instead of just the press release lol 

Every dam post in here has a 20 hour debate that goes along with it and most of the guys debating aren't even here in Thailand and if they are here, they have no interest in the post even. They just use the forum to pass the time and debate about almost anything. You again are dead wrong!!!!

Edited by wmlc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, wmlc said:

I am not guessing, but it seems you are. Thanks for coming out. Next time read the fine print instead of just the press release lol 

As I have mentioned several times on this issue, I am not by any means an expert nor do I claim to be about any of the benefits of a new visa in Thailand - but based on what IO continue to see others are writing and claiming, it seems to me that they are guessing as much as I am...but no matter what the govt does with this particular visa I don't care as I have my visa which I felt and still feel is best for me and my situation.  Others I hope are happy with their choice.

55 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Do nothing and fly in.. Zero effort.. 

Its 60 day (and+30) visa exempt unlimited now which makes applying for tourist visas a moot point. 

Yes, that is one I meant...quiet time at neighbouring Thai consulates.

Unfortunately as foreigner some countries (like UK), require residency (settlement) and proof of employment there to apply.

I heard in Laos they accept foreigners to apply from there, but not sure.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wmlc said:

Thailand LTR Visa holders under the "Highly-Skilled-Professionals" category can benefit from a discounted personal income tax rate of 17%. A digital work permit will be issued at the same time as the visa. Thai LTR Visa holders under the "Work-from-Thaialnd Professional" category can not obtain a work permit. You fall under the Work from Thailand professional category and you don't need a work permit and don't qualify for one either. You are clueless on this point. 

Go ahead and try all you want, but you won't get any work permit under the the Work From Thailand Professional Category or the DTV and you don't require one either as long as you don't promote your business in Thailand and don't sell your products and services here to people and businesses inside Thailand. 

Do you really think the Thai government is that stupid to have the DTV and LTR visa category work from Thailand professional when you need a work permit you can't get in those two situations? You are the one who is flat out incorrect!!!

I will get right on advising my clients that they need a work permit if they are here as a digital nomad on the DTV and LTR visa category working from Thailand professional. Then I will tell them to waste their time like you are doing by going to the Labor office to try and convince them to issue one. That would go well with my clients. "I am advising you that you need a work permit, but wait, you can't get one lol. 

I think you have comprehension problems.. Maybe english isnt your first language. 

Your replying to a comment that started with "Foreigners often think you need a work permit to work remotely, but you don't. " that is what is incorrect, you DO need a work permit to work online from Thailand unless on a DTV or (arguably imo) the LTR classes. I admit enforcement of this is poor but working online = work and needs a work permit or a legal exemption. 

NO ONE is saying you can get a work permit on a DTV.. No one.. So what are you are argueing exactly ?? 

Edited by LivinLOS

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wmlc said:

Only for the highly skilled professional category. The OP falls under the work from Thailand professional category and can't get a digital work permit for that category. End of story. Go debate with someone else on the Thaigher forum. Under you twisted logic the wealthy pensioner category of the LTR visa category can also get a work permit.  Dead wrong! 

The BOI agent told me that the other 3 can also get a work permit too.. Wealthy global citizen, wealthy pensioner, or work from Thailand (in addition to not needing a work permit for remote work of course) IF they have a Thai sponsor company and wish to do work here. Also mentioned some benefits (2 staff, easier approval) but I wasnt giving it full attention. 

I didnt ask too much as I have no desire for any Thai employment, I like being well paid 😁 but he clearly said multiple times you can get one, and I was very clear in that wealthy pensioner was the route I would attempt. 

Edited by LivinLOS

Posted (edited)

In the interests of full disclosure.. I was just sent this on FB.. 

Which would appear to indicate that yes, the 180 day extension also costs 10k THB. 

Benefits: Receiving an overseas examination type DTV can be carried out in Thailand once every 180 days. The examination fee rate is 10,000 baht. The validity period of the examination is 5 years, and there is a right to extend the period of stay in Thailand once, not exceeding 180 days, by paying a fee of 10,000 baht and requesting to change the type of examination to be conducted in Thailand, in which case the original examination will be considered terminated.

That makes little real world sense IMO as you can border bounce instead ?? If its a ME, this text reads more like a one time entry. 

37e5f509-9b18-4dba-aee3-edbeb8b2f4ab.jpeg

Edited by LivinLOS

Another thing brought up this text translates as 

Foreigners must have proof of financial status or financial support for travel or have financial guarantors of not less than 500,000 baht throughout their stay in Thailand.

If literal 'throughout' implies you must maintain 500k thb for the duration of the visa. This makes less sense when you apply with offshore funds as 1) you dont have the funds in Thailand or THB and they cannot check the initial application account balances. 

In my case unbothered as I would have 500k in my offshore accounts always.. The bank demands 100k GBP depsosit for the relationship manager service level. 

DTV money.jpeg