60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

3 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

And good for you because believe me you do not want to know, they are horrible invasions. They don’t seem to do them in many provinces due to lack of man power most likely. 

You seem to be referring to "home visit" and in some cases requirement for witness.

If over 50 you have option of obtaining extension based on retirement.

That option has by far more onerous financial requirements.

51 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

I have a limited skill set here in the glorious "Land 'O Thaiz" and that is I know entry/visa/extension inside, outside, upside down, in a box with a fox.

I've been to Immigration offices hundreds of times, talking to officers over the years, I talk talk to border crossings, agents, border bounce companies all over the country.

Hands down I am the smartest foreigner in thailand about entry/visa/extension information, If I do say so myself, <- which I just did 😉 

Any more questions or you good now?

Self praise is no reccomendation.

• Haha 2

On 7/18/2024 at 2:05 PM, Toby1947 said:

You'll still need an onward ticket to show airline before being allowed to board. Showing your intention of leaving Thailand within 60 days 

I have been asked that once in 15 years.

1 minute ago, Katatonica said:

I have been asked that once in 15 years.

And many have.

Myself few weeks ago at Saigon to DMK flight.

Often required if flying visa exempt.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, black tabby12345 said:

visa-waivers were no longer allowed to stay in the kingdom over 180days out of one calendar year.

It was actually 90 days in any 180 day period

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

I'd love to have a link to that "current Ministerial regulation". Can you oblige?

I have the translation of the regulation as posted in the Royal Gazette 2016 ......... in PDF format only, which can't be posted.   😭

Working away for the weekend with limited access.

I'll copy and paste it into an odt word doc on Monday and PM across.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And many have.

Myself few weeks ago at Saigon to DMK flight.

Often required if flying visa exempt.

Thai Airways Munich to Suvarnabhumi are keen on seeing return/onward tickets or 'some sort of visa' (as they put it).

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thai Airways Munich to Suvarnabhumi are keen on seeing return/onward tickets or 'some sort of visa' (as they put it).

Thai Airways from Frankfurt (when flying to Suvarnabhumi) noted the same in a 'popup' on their website (a few times when I checked in online to fly that route from Frankfurt to Bangkok).  Still - despite that warning when doing the online checkin, given how busy they can be at the airport at the airline boarding counter, that doesn't guarantee they will take the time to call one up to the counter to check one has such a return/onward ticket. 

I've been called up a couple of times (by Thai airways) in Frankfurt to the boarding counter when flying to Thailand.  On one occasion I had a type-OA visa, and after seeing the visa in my passport, they thanked me and asked I simply wait for boarding.  On another occasion (when my Type-OA was invalid as I previously deliberately departed Thailand with no re-entry ticket (so to invalidate my Type-OA as I was planning to enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain a Type-O once in Thailand)), the airline staff spent a long time looking at my (invalid) Type-OA, .... and then let me return to wait for boarding. They did not ask for an onward ticket (although I had such ready if asked)  I think they could not tell that the Type-OA was no longer valid ?? ... 

Still I do agree its best if possible to have a contingency plan ready in case one is required to produce such a return/onward ticket at the last minute.

I don't think the current 60day visa exemptions being limited or unlimited, will affect any of the current policies for possible onward or return airline ticket checks.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

They may accept the flight ticket outside the 60 days with explanation you plan to obtain 30 day extension.

It's been reported several times with success.

Also sometimes the airline ok if you sign a waiver.

You would be aware of rent ticket companies such as "onwardticket.com"..$15usd.

There is also option to travel with no onward flight/return flight and if airline insists on flight you can step away from check in and do rent a ticket or buy throw away cheapest flight. 

Since your return ticket is also Emirates thinking your plan is fine. 

Edit: afterthought...if you wish/able to stay in Thailand longer don't be hamstrung buy the 60 +30 extension.

As a border bounce now provides 60 day visa exempt entry.

Easy to skip the return ticket and have trouble free stay 120-150.

Thanks - and as an afterthought from me, I could alway call Emirates and ask them. Found them to be very helpful in the past.

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Thanks - and as an afterthought from me, I could alway call Emirates and ask them. Found them to be very helpful in the past.

Strangely it seems to me that low cost airlines are strict with the onward flight requirement for visa exempt.

From/To Oz I fly Jetstar and places in the region eg Vietnam AirAsia.

Both low cost and both more than often looking in pp for visa or reentry permit. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Strangely it seems to me that low cost airlines are strict with the onward flight requirement for visa exempt.

Both low cost and both more than often looking in pp for visa or reentry permit. 

Possibly, but every time I check in to Emirates, they look for and at my visa. In the past i've had a SETV for a 60 day or less visit.

Just mulling over my plans for my next trip(s)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Thai Airways from Frankfurt (when flying to Suvarnabhumi) noted the same in a 'popup' on their website (a few times when I checked in online to fly that route from Frankfurt to Bangkok).  Still - despite that warning when doing the online checkin, given how busy they can be at the airport at the airline boarding counter, that doesn't guarantee they will take the time to call one up to the counter to check one has such a return/onward ticket. 

I've been called up a couple of times (by Thai airways) in Frankfurt to the boarding counter when flying to Thailand.  On one occasion I had a type-OA visa, and after seeing the visa in my passport, they thanked me and asked I simply wait for boarding.  On another occasion (when my Type-OA was invalid as I previously deliberately departed Thailand with no re-entry ticket (so to invalidate my Type-OA as I was planning to enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain a Type-O once in Thailand)), the airline staff spent a long time looking at my (invalid) Type-OA, .... and then let me return to wait for boarding. They did not ask for an onward ticket (although I had such ready if asked)  I think they could not tell that the Type-OA was no longer valid ?? ... 

Still I do agree its best if possible to have a contingency plan ready in case one is required to produce such a return/onward ticket at the last minute.

I don't think the current 60day visa exemptions being limited or unlimited, will affect any of the current policies for possible onward or return airline ticket checks.

I've been issued with a boarding pass at the check-in then stopped at the boarding gate and asked to produce return/onward ticket or 'visa'. Airline staff obviously know that passengers with hand luggage only check-in online or at airport totems. On another occasion I was boarding for the second leg of a three leg flight (I was issued with boarding passes for all three legs) and deboarded by departure gate staff. They told me I shouldn't have been permitted to board my first flight.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The reason the io "suggested" change to extensions based on retirement is that it's far less work for the immigration officer.

This is common knowledge..

That is true.  It is also MUCH easier for the applicant.  That is why so many of us let that additional money rot in the bank year-round, to NOT have to go through the marriage-based extension gauntlet. 

The solution would be to lighten-up after the first couple years of extensions, and make it just as easy - or easier (not just the money-difference) - than a retirement-based extension, given you are married to a Thai national.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That is because they are on the hook to fly you back if you are not allowed in the country and low cost airline is not making much money on the ticket to begin with.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

That is because they are on the hook to fly you back if you are not allowed in the country and low cost airline is not making much money on the ticket to begin with.

That is a minor concern for the airline and more often than not the passenger denied entry pays for the flight.

The airline can receive a substantial fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2024 at 1:45 AM, Tod Daniels said:

I have a limited skill set here in the glorious "Land 'O Thaiz" and that is I know entry/visa/extension inside, outside, upside down, in a box with a fox.

I've been to Immigration offices hundreds of times, talking to officers over the years, I talk talk to border crossings, agents, border bounce companies all over the country.

Hands down I am the smartest foreigner in thailand about entry/visa/extension information, If I do say so myself, <- which I just did 😉 

Just to have it confirmed once more.

There is no more restrictions or limitations on boarder crossings or total days you can stay in Thailand a year? 

Just want it confirmed once and for all

17 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Just to have it confirmed once more.

There is no more restrictions or limitations on boarder crossings or total days you can stay in Thailand a year? 

Just want it confirmed once and for all

There was not a "total days" rule before this.  Years ago there was such a rule (90 days per 180 days) - but not recently.  To spite that rule being officially removed, some IOs would still claim some-such rule existed.  But, what they stamped in rejected passports was "doesn't have the money" - even if the person denied had the required money - nothing about "here too long," because that is not a legal reason to reject entry.  But, get an agent set-up for one's entry, and then that "problem" never occurred.

With that in mind, consider what you are asking for.  You want assurances that an agency whose personnel routinely make-up rules, to maximize the use of agents, will consistently do something.   If they did THAT, this forum would not need to exist (mostly).  Policies can differ from office to office, and from one entry-point to another.

In this case, it's even worse.  The old "2 land border max" rule was in the official Gazette, replacing the non-limited 15-day land-border entry-time per the previous rule.  This "no limit at land borders" appeared out of nowhere.  IOs suddenly said it was OK, and people started doing it and getting in a 3rd time (as reported).   It could change back - or not - and we have no way to predict when.

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

This thread is going to have a lot to answer for in the next 6-12 months. It implies that people can cross the border as many times as they like to stay in Thailand 365 days per year on visa exempt. 

Normal IO discretion remains and if they think you are living here rather than just a tourist then you should expect a denied entry like always 

... unless you pre-arrange with one of their agents, of course.

But, maybe not even the no-agent denials, for now?  Maybe only some entry points?  Who knows?  The only way to find out, is wait for the "I was denied entry" reports - the same as before - and conjure for a vague pattern to emerge out of the ether.

Edited by Rob Browder
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

There was not a "total days" rule before this.  Years ago there was such a rule (90 days per 180 days) - but not recently.  To spite that rule being officially removed, some IOs would still claim some-such rule existed.  But, what they stamped in rejected passports was "doesn't have the money" - even if the person denied had the required money - nothing about "here too long," because that is not a legal reason to reject entry.  But, get an agent set-up for one's entry, and then that "problem" never occurred.

With that in mind, consider what you are asking for.  You want assurances that an agency whose personnel routinely make-up rules, to maximize the use of agents, will consistently do something.   If they did THAT, this forum would not need to exist (mostly).  Policies can differ from office to office, and from one entry-point to another.

In this case, it's even worse.  The old "2 land border max" rule was in the official Gazette, replacing the non-limited 15-day land-border entry-time per the previous rule.  This "no limit at land borders" appeared out of nowhere.  IOs suddenly said it was OK, and people started doing it and getting in a 3rd time (as reported).   It could change back - or not - and we have no way to predict when.

What about extension on immigration? 

On 7/20/2024 at 6:45 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Are you an 'Agent' then ? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

What about extension on immigration? 

You can extend each visa exempt (or tourist visa) entry by 30 days at your local immigration office.

That extension has always been at the discretion of immigration and the same wording has been used for the new 60-day visa exempt scheme. Historically, this extension has been routinely given to an applicant who meets the formal requirements, regardless of how long they've been staying in Thailand previously. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/18/2024 at 12:31 PM, transam said:

Weeeell, being allowed in multiple times by plane and not land borders does seem a bit daft...🤗

It was a "filter" for the cheap and otherwise undesirable who couldn't afford an airfare but could manage to scrape together a minivan fare.

Now it's a level playing field again, and the (fake) Louis Vuitton crowd can now save a bit of their hard-earned and rough it with the balloon-chasers.

• Haha 1