As a young adult, my grandfather watched Queen Victoria's funeral!

Nothing to do with Thailand - just an interesting thought about family memories:

- My grandfather was 19 years old when Queen Victoria died

- My father was born during World War 1

- I expect my kids (born around the turn of the last century), will start families around 2040...

All this is the result of starting families later in life, typically around 40-45 years old.

How about you?  Does your grandfather remember chatting with Lord Nelson? 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

I only had one Grandmother that was alive for my childhood....A wonderful lady with a French accent so thick you could cut with a knife when speaking english....She actually arrived by sailing ship....

All of the family conversations with her were primarily spoken in french.....

I'm sure she'd experienced a lot along life's path....

Unfortunately, I couldn't understand a word....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Nothing to do with Thailand - just an interesting thought about family memories:

- My grandfather was 19 years old when Queen Victoria died

- My father was born during World War 1

- I expect my kids (born around the turn of the last century), will start families around 2040...

All this is the result of starting families later in life, typically around 40-45 years old.

How about you?  Does your grandfather remember chatting with Lord Nelson? 🙂

As I recall, my grandfather was born in 1885, probably in Massachusetts.

He was a medic in France, and in the trenches, during WW One.

I doubt he ever met Lord Nelson in the trenches, in France.

But, there exists the possibility that he saw good old...

Manfred von Richthofen fly by, overhead.

image.png.6caf55d081ceb8311fab9ada144871bd.png

A Real Fokker,...

The one below!

image.png.5619e175b42d3961e168020382e0b76c.png

My sister has a newspaper clipping from a Chicago newspaper reporting that my grandfather stopped a driverless runaway horse drawn carriage. The passenger inside was the boxer John L. Sullivan.

My grandfather aboard the Maple en route to Constantinople in 1918 to join the Occupation of Turkey.

He had signed up for WW1 age 17 and was wounded in both ankles by shrapnel in Northern France.

IMG_4372.jpeg.f1817c36733ea7bbfdbdd4a32996d7b7.jpeg

My Maternal Grandmother's (B 1897, D 2004) claim to fame (or perhaps infamy!) was that when she was working at a hospital in Washington State, most likely in the 1920's or early 1930's, she was introduced to Al Capone. She said that he was nothing like the way he was portrayed in movies.  Her words were that "He was beautifully dressed and had beautiful manners".  

• Haha 2

My paternal grandfather was born in 1851 and witnessed the capitulation of Paris to the invading Prussian army in 1871 and their troops marching along the Champs Elysees to the Arc De Triomphe. He had obtained a Laissez Passer in London (a tissue-paper-thin document neatly folded into a leather holder, which I still have) to visit his father, my great grandfather, who was an eminent doctor and surgeon, and had been despatched by the War Department in London to Paris in 1870 as Medical Commissioner to the French Army as an observer and remained there throughout the dreadful siege and continuous bombings by the German army. He was attached to the American Ambulance there and gave assistance to the dying and wounded during the three key battles and he was awarded the Legion d'honneur by the French Provisional Government.