Expats angry at huge concessions in latest Thai visa announcements

It is now clear to everyone that this government is desperately trying to revive the economy in Thailand otherwise it will be defeated in the next elections so any action it takes could be the opposite of everything in a short time, therefore I do not give any credit that everything it decides is valid in long term and not even short term.

Therefore I am only enslaving and organizing my money transfer to Thailand keeping it non-taxable while for the visa 0 maintaining it does not expose me to the rapid change of the unstable government and gives me a certain peace of mind.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, retarius said:

They should be happy enough with the hundred plus thousand dollars I spend here every year.

If you've got the income coming in to match that spend (a min of $80,000 pa or $40,000 pa if you're willing to invest £250,000) then you should look into the LTR Visa which will exempt you from tax on any money you remit to Thailand. 

Should have no problems keeping your Thai Bank Account & Driving License if you do decide to be resident for <180 days pa. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He won't qualify for the DTV.

He's retired. 

Nothing stopping him doing the 60 days, extend and border run.

On 7/20/2024 at 3:16 AM, webfact said:

face ever-changing regulations

I think this will change too.... let's face it most "new measures" in Thailand are not fully thought out.

What worries me is they will just cancel the whole thing.Tourists like to use Thailand as a hub for touring neighbouring countries in the region and this can involve several land border crossings - if tat is lost, it would be a great shome.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 11:20 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

A Non-Immigrant visa allows you to open bank accounts, obtain a driving licence and other privileges that the 60 day stamps and DTV don't support.

Also, you don't qualify for the DTV, because you are a retiree, and that is not a category that it supports.

I have a thai bank account since more than 6 years, I opened it when i was married and i renewed it less than one year ago when i was already divorced, no problem for me

I would apply for a retirement visa when and if I will reach 50s because I think it's always better to avoid too many free stamps on the passport but for now I am happy to use the free exemption 60 days stamps or STV/METV visas

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Nothing stopping him doing the 60 days, extend and border run.

Sure, and I wish him luck.

Reckon he'll get a couple of border runs in before he's stopped and asked if he is working or refused entry on arrival. 

On 7/20/2024 at 10:20 AM, racket said:

The Elite Visas can be a total waste if you are not planning to stay for a very long time. 

Additionally, what this elite visa holder may not mention is that the Elite Visa offers the possibility of extending for up to 6 years initially. By paying an additional 400,000 baht before the initial period expires, he can extend the visa for another 10 years, making it a total of 16 years. 

If he stays on the elite visa program for 16 years, he’ll end up paying just 6,770 baht per month, which is quite reasonable compared to other long-term residency options..

So, The Elite extension for another 10 yrs is essentially 40,000 thb/yr.  Over 16 years, 6,770 thb/mo = 81,240/yr. My annual retirement Non-O extension costs me 1,900 thb/year. These people must be the ones burning money in the fire place to keep warm. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lorry said:

It's their experience of 50 years. 

1990s: AIDS? Not me.

2004: Tsunami, thousands of dead tourists and the government openly stating they can't tell the truth because they might get sued by the farang? Tourists loved Thailand more than ever. 

2010: Riots, 100 people shot dead in a temple? Thai temples are so beautiful!

2024: Smog? I have yet to meet a single person outside of Thailand who believes me that Thailand has bad air. Some of my friends were here during smog season,  they still don't believe it.

"The tourists will always come" (Bernard Trink) 

Yes, even I, when going as a tourist could deal with it. Retiring there and getting old is a whole different story. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

So, The Elite extension for another 10 yrs is essentially 40,000 thb/yr.  Over 16 years, 6,770 thb/mo = 81,240/yr. My annual retirement Non-O extension costs me 1,900 thb/year. These people must be the ones burning money in the fire place to keep warm. 

The 20 year Privilege Card membership for SE Elite visa for THB 1m was a viable long-term solution given the track record of grandfathering older Elite schemes, e.g. the transferable life time memberships. Other visa do not secure a hassle free long-term stay. However, with the Privilege Card price increases, the 20 year value proposition is questionable comparing  with the tax free LTR visa (though with health insurance requirement) and the cheap DTA visa. If I had not the possibility for tax exempt remittances, I would probably apply for a LTR visa assuming I could  reactivate my SE visa if the LTR visa is abandoned or curtailed.

If they want to maintain Privilege Cards sales volume, they have to substantially cut prices, get tax exemption like the LTR, remove the tax exemption from LTR, or find enough people to believe in the value of their perks schemes.

• Agree 1

On 7/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, jonclark said:

I think you have an erronous view of all  expats here. I have NEVER drank Chang beer. 

and I aint seen a beech in about 10 years

On 7/20/2024 at 5:37 PM, GoodieAfterDark said:

I would never live in Thailand, not even if someone paid me. The weather is horrible hot and I am not a good friend of the AC.

And you're still on this forum?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bdenner said:

How on this earth are the idiots who run this country going to tax 100K - 200K - 1M Farang when they can't even bring Boss "Red Bull" or Thaskin Shinawat to justice.

I know that sounds good & is a humorous thing we all like to claim but....

Does anyone here really think they couldn't grab  Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya anytime they wanted ? IF they actually wanted to.  No Vorayuth's freedom is bought & paid for till statute of limitations renders it all a memory

Does anyone actually think Thaksin & also his sister were not allowed to leave? Then allowed to return?

(His sister soon to return.) 

Justice?

Thailand's Justice System works just the way they (TPTB)  WANT it to work. Not  Justice as usual foreigner style...

(NOT that Foreign governments have no corruption)

But that aside yes Taxing foreigners (aside from those working in Thailand) is a big ask for any government & highly unlikely

It is only here on this mainly geriatric forum that folks get all excited over things that don't exist as it is a form of exercise/socializing for them 😉

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/20/2024 at 8:52 PM, Rob Browder said:

They are increasing the share of millions of people who work remotely, who will now be able to spend earned foreign-income into the Thai economy, ongoing. 

I think you may be being a little optimistic in thinking that Thailand is likely to attract many more remote workers.  Thailand is just one destination for such people - there are plenty of others. Besides, up until recently, to the best of my knowledge, Thailand has never cracked down on any foreigners spending money.  Apart from those in business in Thailand, foreigner's money has been largely ignored. Many of us have been bringing relatively large amounts in regularly and never been questioned.

The recent changes in the taxation rules seem to be going to change all that and as a result, many expats are considering leaving for at least half the year.  Probably an 'own goal' in terms of actual tax revenue.

The doubling of the entry duration from 30 to 60 days and the inclusion of many more countries with that entry criteria is clearly aimed at tourists but for the reasons I stated in my previous post, all its likely to do is make things easier for the border runners.

There have been several news reports on here where the fact that tourists are not spending as much despite overall numbers increasing has been brought up.  I wish them well in their efforts but I can't see much changing.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the OP two expats have strong opinions. Angry? Meh.

I'm certainly not angry that others have more options now.

AFAIK my extension of stay based on retirement remains a valid option for me.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, bdenner said:

when they can't even bring Boss "Red Bull" or Thaskin Shinawat to justice.

THat shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work in Thailand - If you are a person "of influence" in Thailand you can to all intents and purposes by above the law - a humble farang may not find that so easy. - without a load of cash to spend.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I think you may be being a little optimistic in thinking that Thailand is likely to attract many more remote workers.  Thailand is just one destination for such people - there are plenty of others. Besides, up until recently, to the best of my knowledge, Thailand has never cracked down on any foreigners spending money.  Apart from those in business in Thailand, foreigner's money has been largely ignored. Many of us have been bringing relatively large amounts in regularly and never been questioned.

The recent changes in the taxation rules seem to be going to change all that and as a result, many expats are considering leaving for at least half the year.  Probably an 'own goal' in terms of actual tax revenue.

The doubling of the entry duration from 30 to 60 days and the inclusion of many more countries with that entry criteria is clearly aimed at tourists but for the reasons I stated in my previous post, all its likely to do is make things easier for the border runners.

There have been several news reports on here where the fact that tourists are not spending as much despite overall numbers increasing has been brought up.  I wish them well in their efforts but I can't see much changing.

I paid tax for 20 years - even got rebates in some years.