Shipping a guitar internationally from Pattaya

Somnambulist

I'm going to list a vintage guitar on Ebay and then ship it to (probably) North America, Europe, or Japan.

What shipping firm would you suggest? I know DHL and FedEx are best avoided when shipping to Thailand 

but is shipping in the other direction better? 

Or is there another way to ship? I prefer by air because it's so much faster. 

Packing: I know how to pack the guitar inside the case but the shipping firm will need to provide an outer carton and bubble wrap etc.

Insurance: How much would they charge to insure up to 170,000 baht?

8 minutes ago, Somnambulist said:

I'm going to list a vintage guitar on Ebay and then ship it to (probably) North America, Europe, or Japan.

What shipping firm would you suggest? I know DHL and FedEx are best avoided when shipping to Thailand 

Packing: I know how to pack the guitar inside the case but the shipping firm will need to provide an outer carton and bubble wrap etc.

DHL and FedEx for Thailand, can be reliable for other destinations. Make sure to check with the shipping firm about their packing services to ensure your guitar is well-protected during transit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, murphybridget said:

DHL and FedEx for Thailand, can be reliable for other destinations. Make sure to check with the shipping firm about their packing services to ensure your guitar is well-protected during transit.

Thank you very much. Now I have another question. I'm trying to sign up for PayPal but it keeps asking for a Thai ID number even though I'm using a VPN. Any idea how to get around this?

2 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

Thank you very much. Now I have another question. I'm trying to sign up for PayPal but it keeps asking for a Thai ID number even though I'm using a VPN. Any idea how to get around this?

I just found out that since last year, Paypal no longer accepts 'foreigner' sign-ups, unless they have a business in Thailand with appropriate documents. You have to sign up with paypal in your own country, but that can be difficult from Thailand, even using a VPN.

You've got to ask someone in your country to sign up for you. 

• Sad 1

On 7/22/2024 at 4:58 AM, Somnambulist said:

I just found out that since last year, Paypal no longer accepts 'foreigner' sign-ups, unless they have a business in Thailand with appropriate documents. You have to sign up with paypal in your own country, but that can be difficult from Thailand, even using a VPN.

You've got to ask someone in your country to sign up for you. 

That I don't know the answer yet. 

I've been dealing guitars for 30+ years so here are some tips...

1. Don't sell it on Ebay. I would repeat this the next five points, but for the sake of brevity...

2. You can't have PayPal in TH unless you have a registered company.

3. Invest some time figuring out the market, especially in AP.

4. Figure out who the best dealers are who can connect you with a buyer.

5. Your guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it so forget that imaginary figure in your head. Obvious maybe, but if it really is a true vintage, the collectors will eventually start circling and the private buyers are the best.
6. Unless you have irrefutable provenance, your guitar is essentially firewood. Otherwise, independent evaluation is an absolute necessity.

• Thanks 1

Pack it in a hard case.  Don't have a hard case?  Buy one.  Look on Youtube.  They have suggestions for packing guitars for international shipment. 

On 7/21/2024 at 10:29 PM, Somnambulist said:

Careful with that.  There are all kinds of stupid rules you may run into trying to ship a guitar.  I know from personal experience trying to ship a vintage guitar to the US. They stopped it because of the special wood used and the fact it used seashell for the fretboard dots.  Both very common things you would run into with guitars. 

These are rules that were created decades after the instrument was actually made. That didn't matter. Also didn't matter that the instrument was originally made in the US. They told me that I was very lucky they were shipping it back. They could have easily just declared it contraband and kept it.  Lost hundreds of dollars on shipping and ended up selling it to someone in my own country for less.  Maybe it's easier shipping it to other countries but I would avoid trying to ship it to the US.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 3STTW said:

1. Don't sell it on Ebay. I would repeat this the next five points, but for the sake of brevity...

5. Your guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it so forget that imaginary figure in your head. Obvious maybe, but if it really is a true vintage, the collectors will eventually start circling and the private buyers are the best.
6. Unless you have irrefutable provenance, your guitar is essentially firewood. Otherwise, independent evaluation is an absolute necessity.

Thanks for sharing these tips! I appreciate your insights, especially about the importance of knowing the market and connecting with the right dealers. I'll definitely keep these in mind as I consider selling my guitar.

On 7/25/2024 at 11:54 PM, shdmn said:

Careful with that.  There are all kinds of stupid rules you may run into trying to ship a guitar.  I know from personal experience trying to ship a vintage guitar to the US. They stopped it because of the special wood used and the fact it used seashell for the fretboard dots.  Both very common things you would run into with guitars. 

These are rules that were created decades after the instrument was actually made. That didn't matter. Also didn't matter that the instrument was originally made in the US. They told me that I was very lucky they were shipping it back. They could have easily just declared it contraband and kept it.  Lost hundreds of dollars on shipping and ended up selling it to someone in my own country for less.  Maybe it's easier shipping it to other countries but I would avoid trying to ship it to the US.

Wow, that sucks. I won't do that then. Thanks.

On 7/25/2024 at 11:16 PM, 3STTW said:

Would you be interested in dealing my guitar to someone for me? It's a 1960 Gibson L-4C.  Or point me in the direction of a good dealer?