Leaking Pump (Hitachi GX Series)

Bingo66

My pump was turning on and off every 10 or 20 seconds at go at the begaining, then it got to point it was just turning on non stop so I had to turn it off apart from taking showers ... The house had a water leakbetween living room roof and bathroom floor before (still does) and so I presumed that pressure was causing it but I took a look and noticed there was water pssing out the pressure switch so I bought one and replaced it.

Then as soon as I replaced it, there was a leak pissing out of a screw on the head, I believe it's called the head as I just saw the part on Lazada and it's called a pump head in Thai. I've been procrastinating to look at for monthes instead I just turn pump off 99% of time unless i'm showering upstairs as I have decent waterpressure without it as I live in Rangsit / BKK .  However during the 10minutes I use it, it started to make a loud grinding sound and now its advanced to just making this a deep hollow souding noise instead of the high pitched pumps make when they're on so knowing its probabbly ruined already I went out there to tackle it again today.

I removed the screw with a socket, still couldn't see where leak is coming from or whats causing it and I know absoultely zero about house pumps I never saw a single one in my life apart from in Thailand. I tried switching better looking screws around as they're all the same size on the head and it made no difference apart from making the leak worse lol. I presume the whole head needs to come off and theres a gasket that needs replacing but part of me feels thats a waste of time and money as it's a sympton not the root cause.

Anyone got any ideas? i uploaded some clips of the issue, ignore the sound that is not the sound it is currently making these were from a few monthes ago. Im dedicated to fixing it myself (Im terrible at DIY) because I believe its near death already and a pump technican wanted to charge me 2k+ when I shown him the leaking pressure switch which was 300b and I feel like im gonna end up having to buy a new pump anyway.

photo_2024-07-22_21-29-59.jpg

photo_2024-07-22_21-29-58.jpg

photo_2024-07-22_21-29-57.jpg

WOuld also like to add, according to this diagram I found on Thaivisa

Both the Hopper Cap and the Check Valve are filled to brim with water, but I don't have a clue what either is for 😄

59feb58c1175c_GXSeriesWMP300GX2.jpg.6fe72df3609438578f75009db5dd1b30.jpg

9 minutes ago, Bingo66 said:

My pump was turning on and off every 10 or 20 seconds at go at the begaining, then it got to point it was just turning on non stop so I had to turn it off apart from taking showers ... The house had a water leakbetween living room roof and bathroom floor before (still does) and so I presumed that pressure was causing it but I took a look and noticed there was water pssing out the pressure switch so I bought one and replaced it.

Then as soon as I replaced it, there was a leak pissing out of a screw on the head, I believe it's called the head as I just saw the part on Lazada and it's called a pump head in Thai. I've been procrastinating to look at for monthes instead I just turn pump off 99% of time unless i'm showering upstairs as I have decent waterpressure without it as I live in Rangsit / BKK .  However during the 10minutes I use it, it started to make a loud grinding sound and now its advanced to just making this a deep hollow souding noise instead of the high pitched pumps make when they're on so knowing its probabbly ruined already I went out there to tackle it again today.

I removed the screw with a socket, still couldn't see where leak is coming from or whats causing it and I know absoultely zero about house pumps I never saw a single one in my life apart from in Thailand. I tried switching better looking screws around as they're all the same size on the head and it made no difference apart from making the leak worse lol. I presume the whole head needs to come off and theres a gasket that needs replacing but part of me feels thats a waste of time and money as it's a sympton not the root cause.

Anyone got any ideas? i uploaded some clips of the issue, ignore the sound that is not the sound it is currently making these were from a few monthes ago. Im dedicated to fixing it myself (Im terrible at DIY) because I believe its near death already and a pump technican wanted to charge me 2k+ when I shown him the leaking pressure switch which was 300b and I feel like im gonna end up having to buy a new pump anyway.

photo_2024-07-22_21-29-59.jpg

photo_2024-07-22_21-29-58.jpg

photo_2024-07-22_21-29-57.jpg

That's a fairly crappy old pump and you may never find the problem... New one is 6-7000 baht. That would be my suggestion.

Also if you still have the pipe leak in the wall, then until you fix it, the pump will just keep turning on/off.

33 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

That's a fairly crappy old pump and you may never find the problem... New one is 6-7000 baht. That would be my suggestion.

Also if you still have the pipe leak in the wall, then until you fix it, the pump will just keep turning on/off.

I have always believed Hitachi makes great products, like motors, etc.

So, if you suggest a new pump, then would you (personally) choose Hitachi or Mitsubishi.

As for me, I would definitely choose Hitachi.

However, I might not be as informed as others who make these choices all the time, if they are selling and servicing this equipment.

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have always believed Hitachi makes great products, like motors, etc.

So, if you suggest a new pump, then would you (personally) choose Hitachi or Mitsubishi.

As for me, I would definitely choose Hitachi.

However, I might not be as informed as others who make these choices all the time, if they are selling and servicing this equipment.

I have 12 pumps over my properties and it's about 50/50 between Mitsu and Hitachi. Both excellent for my needs.

Don't need advice for new pump brands thanks, I would just buy the same pump if I needed to but got no interest in putting a brand new pump on these pipes if the water is indeed leaking from the main pipe ... Fixing this pump would tell me if it is leaking or not, the pipe has already been "fixed" once for 30k so next time would need to replace the entire water pipe of house and its a big job, would rather get the pump working in a stable condition.

6 hours ago, Bingo66 said:

Don't need advice for new pump brands thanks, I would just buy the same pump if I needed to but got no interest in putting a brand new pump on these pipes if the water is indeed leaking from the main pipe ... Fixing this pump would tell me if it is leaking or not, the pipe has already been "fixed" once for 30k so next time would need to replace the entire water pipe of house and its a big job, would rather get the pump working in a stable condition.

From the look of the pump, good luck with fixing it. 

• Haha 1

The leak looks like it is between the body and the rusty screw. I would try to find stainless steel (SS) or brass screws/bolts that are exactly the same size (thread, length, width and head) as the existing, replace all screws. Also replace the washers with SS, brass or nylon washers. Rusty washers and bolts rarely seal well. I didn't see any cracks on the housing, but you must inspect it closely. The housing surface, where the washer sits and both sides of the washers, need to be perfectly flat, clean, dry and smooth, no scratches. Some 3M silicon(or other very high quality) for wet areas or gasket silicon/sealer on both sides of the washer, would help seal the leak. The sealers must be applied to clean dry surfaces and must be  totally dry before you test. I use silicon or plumbers putty. Read the instructions on the sealers and give extra time for curing.

Finding the parts maybe challenging but I would contact Hitachi, at their Bangkok offices. If the original parts are not rust proof, try to find the SS, or brass ones. Bangkok will have them, maybe near China town.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

The leak looks like it is between the body and the rusty screw. I would try to find stainless steel (SS) or brass screws/bolts that are exactly the same size (thread, length, width and head) as the existing, replace all screws. Also replace the washers with SS, brass or nylon washers. Rusty washers and bolts rarely seal well. I didn't see any cracks on the housing, but you must inspect it closely. The housing surface, where the washer sits and both sides of the washers, need to be perfectly flat, clean, dry and smooth, no scratches. Some 3M silicon(or other very high quality) for wet areas or gasket silicon/sealer on both sides of the washer, would help seal the leak. The sealers must be applied to clean dry surfaces and must be  totally dry before you test. I use silicon or plumbers putty. Read the instructions on the sealers and give extra time for curing.

Finding the parts maybe challenging but I would contact Hitachi, at their Bangkok offices. If the original parts are not rust proof, try to find the SS, or brass ones. Bangkok will have them, maybe near China town.

I have found gasket set and "head" on Lazada, I will think I will replace it all and if I <deleted> it up doesn't matter i'll just buy one.

2 minutes ago, Bingo66 said:

I have found gasket set and "head" on Lazada, I will think I will replace it all and if I <deleted> it up doesn't matter i'll just buy one.

Good choice. How much $$? Be sure to get new gaskets/washer to all adjoining parts.

Edited by Banana7

On 7/23/2024 at 6:52 AM, Banana7 said:

Good choice. How much $$? Be sure to get new gaskets/washer to all adjoining parts.

Inexpensive, sround 300baht for the head and full gasket and seal set ... 90% of gasket set I have no idea where its supposed to go so shall be fun 😅

I've already disconnected the pump its not a big deal to live without, water pressure is not bad without it..... Now its pure ego to fix it myself since i wasted time replacing the pressure switch 2 monthes ago and cut the wrong wire and was a PITA to fix it 😅