Hong Kong policeman’s fatal fall from baht bus sparks safety outcry

webfact

HK cops are some of the best I've ever seen (over 25yrs here...HK...working and now 40/60 with living in TH).

They are polite, respectful, helpful,non~intrusive and multi lingual.

Originally trained by the British, and still maintain those standards.

Majority are born raised and educated in HK......NOT sent down from the mainland by the CCP!!

There are no "bath busses" in HK (only excellent bus,train ferry and taxi services.)

So, it no doubt was this policeman's own fault, but he had probably never experienced anything like it before.

RIP.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not too sure the 'democracy demonstrators' would agree?

I agree Will, but they were attempting a hopeless (though noble) cause.

And yes,  there were mainland "law enforcement officers " involved in those skirmishes.

I've not bothered with local politics (although I'm entitled to register and vote)......again, a predetermined and hopeless cause.

Compared to Thailand, the cops here are efficient, virtually incorruptible, and provide a truly safe feeling day and night.

You could have a 15yo daughter go out alone or with friends and have NO fear for their safety and wellbeing.

Cheers

Just now, orchidfan said:

I agree Will, but they were attempting a hopeless (though noble) cause.

And yes,  there were mainland "law enforcement officers " involved in those skirmishes.

I've not bothered with local politics (although I'm entitled to register and vote)......again, a predetermined and hopeless cause.

Compared to Thailand, the cops here are efficient, virtually incorruptible, and provide a truly safe feeling day and night.

You could have a 15yo daughter go out alone or with friends and have NO fear for their safety and wellbeing.

Cheers

Would not disagree with any of that.

I would say the same about the vast majority of our (UK) police, for what it's worth.........even though there are absolute horror stories from time to time.

6 hours ago, pattjock said:

I'm not sure if he was standing on the step behind the bahtbus when he fell off, but that is very likely. It has been illegal for passengers to use these steps while the bahtbus is moving for a long time now, but as with most Thai laws this has never been enforced.

Not illegal. The proposal died because of driver complaints. 

This happened to me recently. I was sitting. Someone rang the bell. I got up to leave but I was a few seconds delayed due to someone blocking. I started to step off the bus but the driver too off without warning. I fell but only got a scratch. 

The driver backed up but only to get his ฿ 10 fee 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

What exactly did the baht bus driver do wrong? 

Good question.

Wasn't there photo evidence on another topic indicating the unfortunate victim stepped down from a moving bus?

Nothing about falling from the back.

If there isn't such evidence either way, it will be hard to prove driver culpability. 

Edited by Jingthing

BahtBus/TukTuk has always been ride at your own risk! (This is Sparta!) Essentially, you should know what you’re signing up for… 30+ years ago I just climbed in, held on and enjoyed the thrill of being in Thailand. That hasn’t changed as some have mentioned- personally I see it as part of the intrigue of being in this part of the world!

From the looks of the video, the man departed from the rear step… Whether he slipped or tried stepping down to the road apparently is not known- the back of the bus looks empty. Those yelling must’ve been from the street.

The driver’s story is plausible and believable.

However the loss of this man’s life is saddening☹️… the callousness of some of the comments in this thread is a problem! Some should shut their filthy mouths!

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That's what foreigners who die mean to Thailand...

That’s all anyone receives Thai or foreigner, or are you suggesting a separate level of compensation for foreigners?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya-1-Pattaya-police-assist-widow-of-Chinese-national-after-fatal-baht-bus-accident-1.webp

Pattaya Tourist Police are offering comprehensive support to the widow of a Hong Kong policeman who tragically lost his life after falling off a baht bus on Pattaya Second Road on July 22. The shocking incident has catapulted road safety in Pattaya into the national spotlight.

The grieving widow is receiving assistance from police to navigate the investigation and manage claims for damages. The baht bus in question is insured under the Motor Vehicle Accident Victim Protection Act and additional voluntary insurance, with death cases covered up to 500,000 baht per policy.

The deceased, Chi Fai Lam, will be repatriated to Hong Kong for funeral rites, a process being coordinated by the Pattaya Tourist Police and the Chinese Embassy. Meanwhile, the baht bus driver has been detained and questioned by investigators from the Pattaya City Police Station. The driver faces charges of reckless driving causing death and failing to stop to provide assistance or identify oneself to the police after causing damage.

This incident has prompted swift action from local police. The Pattaya Tourist Police, in collaboration with the Pattaya City Police Station, is set to meet with baht bus operators to reinforce safety protocols and prevent future tragedies, reported Pattaya Mail.

ORIGINAL STORY: Chinese man dies after falling off baht bus in Pattaya

A Thai baht bus driver in Pattaya denied any knowledge of an accident in which a Chinese man fell from his vehicle and later died.

Locals in Pattaya condemned the baht bus driver, later identified as Thongchai Thonglueng, for his alleged cruel behaviour after he left the 48 year old Chinese man, Chi Fai Lam, lying in a pool of blood on Pattaya Sai 2 Road on the morning of July 22. Witnesses rushed the Chinese national to hospital but he succumbed to his injuries.

Security camera footage showed the Chinese man falling from the dark blue baht bus but the driver sped away without checking on him. The vehicle’s registration plate was identified as 10-6324, and the driver was later identified to be Thongchai.

Thongchai was summoned to Mueang Pattaya Police Station for questioning that afternoon. He insisted that he was unaware his passenger fell from his vehicle.

Thongchai explained that he picked up seven to eight passengers from the Dolphin Roundabout and dropped them off at Pattaya Walking Street. He checked the passengers in his rear-view mirror and saw that no one remained. He claimed he did not know when the Chinese man boarded his vehicle or when he fell off.

A witness, 56 year old motorcycle rider Sriprai, told Matichon that many people shouted at the baht bus, asking the driver to stop but he ignored them and sped away.

Police did not reveal the next steps in their investigation and did not clarify what legal action would be taken against Thongchai.

RELATED TOPIC

Chinese Tourist Dies After Falling From Songthaew In Pattaya 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1333594-chinese-tourist-dies-after-falling-from-songthaew-in-pattaya/

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 
Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-26

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya-1-Pattaya-police-assist-widow-of-Chinese-national-after-fatal-baht-bus-accident-1.webp

Pattaya Tourist Police are offering comprehensive support to the widow of a Hong Kong policeman who tragically lost his life after falling off a baht bus on Pattaya Second Road on July 22. The shocking incident has catapulted road safety in Pattaya into the national spotlight.

The grieving widow is receiving assistance from police to navigate the investigation and manage claims for damages. The baht bus in question is insured under the Motor Vehicle Accident Victim Protection Act and additional voluntary insurance, with death cases covered up to 500,000 baht per policy.

The deceased, Chi Fai Lam, will be repatriated to Hong Kong for funeral rites, a process being coordinated by the Pattaya Tourist Police and the Chinese Embassy. Meanwhile, the baht bus driver has been detained and questioned by investigators from the Pattaya City Police Station. The driver faces charges of reckless driving causing death and failing to stop to provide assistance or identify oneself to the police after causing damage.

This incident has prompted swift action from local police. The Pattaya Tourist Police, in collaboration with the Pattaya City Police Station, is set to meet with baht bus operators to reinforce safety protocols and prevent future tragedies, reported Pattaya Mail.

ORIGINAL STORY: Chinese man dies after falling off baht bus in Pattaya

A Thai baht bus driver in Pattaya denied any knowledge of an accident in which a Chinese man fell from his vehicle and later died.

Locals in Pattaya condemned the baht bus driver, later identified as Thongchai Thonglueng, for his alleged cruel behaviour after he left the 48 year old Chinese man, Chi Fai Lam, lying in a pool of blood on Pattaya Sai 2 Road on the morning of July 22. Witnesses rushed the Chinese national to hospital but he succumbed to his injuries.

Security camera footage showed the Chinese man falling from the dark blue baht bus but the driver sped away without checking on him. The vehicle’s registration plate was identified as 10-6324, and the driver was later identified to be Thongchai.

Thongchai was summoned to Mueang Pattaya Police Station for questioning that afternoon. He insisted that he was unaware his passenger fell from his vehicle.

Thongchai explained that he picked up seven to eight passengers from the Dolphin Roundabout and dropped them off at Pattaya Walking Street. He checked the passengers in his rear-view mirror and saw that no one remained. He claimed he did not know when the Chinese man boarded his vehicle or when he fell off.

A witness, 56 year old motorcycle rider Sriprai, told Matichon that many people shouted at the baht bus, asking the driver to stop but he ignored them and sped away.

Police did not reveal the next steps in their investigation and did not clarify what legal action would be taken against Thongchai.

RELATED TOPIC

Chinese Tourist Dies After Falling From Songthaew In Pattaya 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1333594-chinese-tourist-dies-after-falling-from-songthaew-in-pattaya/

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 
Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-26

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

How can it even be considered that the Baht Bus driver is at fault. The man stood on the step-on on the rear of the vehicle & he fell off. But ok, the driver should not have driven before the man was seated inside. Language issue!

7 hours ago, 2baht said:
7 hours ago, loong said:

You are obviously privy to more information than the rest of us.
Kindly relate what you know that makes you believe that the person was an idiot.

Geniuses. as a rule, don't ride or drive baht busses on Beach Road! If you know one, let me know!

it is thought that the passenger was riding on the platform, not sitting in a seat.  If, repeat if that's the case, then he was behaving like an idiot.

Similarly if he tried to get off without ringing the bell and waiting for the driver to stop.

Pattaya's Baht bus system is brilliant - sometimes people are not!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

There is almost certainly an inverse relationship between IQ and the number amulets a person possesses.

Quite agree - the mere possession of amulets, with a belief that they hold "powers" says something about one's intelligence (or lack of) and a lot more about one's naivety 😮

Like other religious paraphernalia, they are merely decorative!

Edited by VBF
  • Agree 1

I have watched the video many times. No way the Baht bus driver was at fault. The bus was going slow. The Hong Kong guy was on the phone as he dropped it when he either fell or tried to step off the bus. Tragically it was his own fault. R.I.P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

As I have said before, all Songtao and Saleng taxis should have a drop down safety bar/gate after people enter. No brainer!!!!

Once in a while, the Apple Laptop of a CMU student will fall out the back of one of these busses.

When this happens, not much is recoverable.

Fortunately, however, CMU students are just barely smart enough to not jump out...after their laptops.

Seems that ChiCom HK Cops are not as smart as Thai students.

And, this obvious fact has been known for decades, ever since the Commie Takeover of Hong Kong, in 1996, and even before that, when the Reds were infiltrating the British Colony with their undercover agents.  And I bet, even in bed, and under the covers, they can't even get it up...

8 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Probably because where I am, you don't have a bunch of inebriated foreigners getting on and of Songthaews and then going splat.  I use them often where I live and I have never felt unsafe on them from being flung off the back... but then, I don't drink and ride on them.  Maybe the songthaews in Pattaya should just forbid foreigners from taking them - and force them to call a grab cab.

And of course you never see drunk thais doing crazy things like that do you. Next you’ll say they are considerate drivers and never drive when inebriated. 😡

48 minutes ago, Reddavy said:

Maybe the songthaews in Pattaya should just forbid foreigners from taking them - and force them to call a grab cab.

No.

Not a good idea.

However, a GOOD idea would be to require that any Farang wishing to ride RotDeng must show a copy of a VALID Retirement Visa.

Problem solved.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

4 hours ago, orchidfan said:

HK cops are some of the best I've ever seen (over 25yrs here...HK...working and now 40/60 with living in TH).

They are polite, respectful, helpful,non~intrusive and multi lingual.

Originally trained by the British, and still maintain those standards.

Majority are born raised and educated in HK......NOT sent down from the mainland by the CCP!!

There are no "bath busses" in HK (only excellent bus,train ferry and taxi services.)

So, it no doubt was this policeman's own fault, but he had probably never experienced anything like it before.

RIP.

they had routemaster bus with platform out the back like in London, if you jumped from that while the bus is moving you'll likely meet the same fate

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

That’s all anyone receives Thai or foreigner, or are you suggesting a separate level of compensation for foreigners?

Depends on the deceased's country of origin and how much Thailand needs them.

The most likely cause was that the baht bus pulled away before the passenger took his seat. thereby jolting him backwards. The fact that the driver sped away when the public were shouting at him to stop is reprehensible and, for that alone, he should serve a long prison sentence.