Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics

6 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

If you mean copyright I've no idea. What's that got to do with the price of fish?

You do not think it matters how many times it's been interpreted and reinterpreted? 

It could have just been that that he thought younger women more beautiful than younger women, or perhaps a wrinkled face is a lot more work to sculpt than a smooth face. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

How moronic.

There was an artistic expression piece, one item in a wonderful Paris Olympic opening show.

In the one piece that you're upset about there were drag queens.

Now totally unfairly you're blaming ALL LGBTQ people for supposedly intentionally offending you?

I call that mindless bigotry.

You would NEVER treat straight people that way.

There are some straight people in a show you don't like.

Blame all straight people!

All straight people is condemend being LGBTQ haters because they have an opinion about it and how it is infested every single instutution in the wester society all the way down to kindergardens! Thats the situation today,  where people being cancelled for saying their opinions. 

The whole thing have gone to far, and will in the end only hurt the LGBTQ because people will not tolerate it anymore at some point. Everything that becomes the norm being pushed and pulled like an ballon growing to big, and finely implodes. Everyone sees it coming, but no one is willing to hit the brakes before to late. Nothing new really, it is been like this since the beginning, and still continues because no one willing to read and understand simple history. 

Hard time create strong people, strong people create good times, good times creates weak people, weak people create bad times is a qoute poplular among the right wing right now, and unfortunate, it is some truth to it, and some is willing to use it for what it is worth. If Trump get in power, it will backfire and you know it. 

Back to the topic, That aritistic piece had nothing to do in the opening ceromony presetented to the world audience. Again bad taste and you wonder why people who before could not care less about the whole gay/trans thing now start to think it is enough. I do not like to use woke as a term, but now Im saying it is enough. 

original quote 

Michael Hopf's post-apocalypic novel “Those Who Remain”: “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” Whether it's a family, military or country, leadership is responsible for the direction of the organization and actions of the group

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You do not think it matters how many times it's been interpreted and reinterpreted? 

It could have just been that that he thought younger women more beautiful than younger women, or perhaps a wrinkled face is a lot more work to sculpt than a smooth face. 

No, he himself said

"Do you not know that chaste women stay fresh much more than those who are not chaste? How much more in the case of the Virgin, who had never experienced the least lascivious desire that might change her body?"

It seems a lot like it was simply done to "own the conservatives".  Also doesn't really show much imagination.

"The world sees us as a left-wing laughing stock, let's double down and troll them.  How about we pick a famous Christian painting and make a drag version..." 

Very low-effort, and we know they wouldn't do it to any other religious group.

On 7/28/2024 at 11:51 AM, spidermike007 said:

Did you see the opening cemerony?

The parts along the Seine were quite nice. But some of the other parts? Rarely have I ever seen something done in such poor taste. Yikes. The dinner scene? The ladyboys crawling and shimmying on the ground? The kids partying with the queens? I'm watching it again and I can see the symbology, 13 people, one of them is wearing a crown sitting at a long table, it does look like a deliberate mockery of Christianity. I don't really get it, it was so unnecessary, it was sloppy, it was highly inelegant, ugly, and it was just very badly done. The only woman who's not in drag, is 400 lbs and ugly, what is that all about? Is there some anti woman symbology there, or is it an insult to the French monarchies of the past, or is it a tribute to obesity? Or is it just a lame and ineffective celebration of PC culture? 

I mean this is France, with a history of great culture. How did they let it descend to this level? Who dreamt this up, how did it get approved, why did they do it, and how can we cancel them? LOL.

This was unbelievably bad. It was vomit inducing, and I am a very tolerant person. I respect other people's sexual preferences, and I respect other people's lifestyles, but why disrespect hundreds of millions of people? Just because you can?

Agree with you, it was unbearably disgusting, sheer abomination.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Infested huh?

Says it all.

well, when a business is cancelled for not pride their windows during pride, then even you understand it have gone to far. 

You see it yourself how it is backfiring, dont you? I know it is an touchy subject for you guys, but the world is not just colourful rainbows, love and happiness. It is an rough place, and when ordinary people are not seen, and they know the louder you scream, to more attention you will get. It is very clear when you look at the MAGA movement, and they will not hold back, 

5 hours ago, connda said:

There is an Olympics? Wake me up for the Winter Olympics or when the Russians compete under their own flag and the games aren't a politicized circle-jerk manufactured solely by the West.

So why are China and Iran taking part if the Olympics is nothing more than " ...a politicized circle-jerk manufactured solely by the West" (whatever that may?).

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Hummin said:

All straight people is condemend being LGBTQ haters because they have an opinion about it and how it is infested every single instutution in the wester society all the way down to kindergardens! Thats the situation today,  where people being cancelled for saying their opinions. 

The whole thing have gone to far, and will in the end only hurt the LGBTQ because people will not tolerate it anymore at some point. Everything that becomes the norm being pushed and pulled like an ballon growing to big, and finely implodes. Everyone sees it coming, but no one is willing to hit the brakes before to late. Nothing new really, it is been like this since the beginning, and still continues because no one willing to read and understand simple history. 

Hard time create strong people, strong people create good times, good times creates weak people, weak people create bad times is a qoute poplular among the right wing right now, and unfortunate, it is some truth to it, and some is willing to use it for what it is worth. If Trump get in power, it will backfire and you know it. 

Back to the topic, That aritistic piece had nothing to do in the opening ceromony presetented to the world audience. Again bad taste and you wonder why people who before could not care less about the whole gay/trans thing now start to think it is enough. I do not like to use woke as a term, but now Im saying it is enough. 

original quote 

Michael Hopf's post-apocalypic novel “Those Who Remain”: “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” Whether it's a family, military or country, leadership is responsible for the direction of the organization and actions of the group

You're sounding very much like Jordan Peterson and you make the same mistakes. I'm guessing you're a fan.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

You're sounding very much like Jordan Peterson and you make the same mistakes. I'm guessing you're a fan.

Im no fan, and got tired of his ranting for now, bu the had his prime and have said many brilliant things in its right contexts. 

As well he know his history and statistics

The opening nonsense was just degenerate, wont be watching much of it as half of the performers on drugs anyway. Lost interest decades ago, too many sports and too many cheats and pros taking part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

You are certainly verging on the hysterical!

verging ? one way of putting it. full throttle is more like it. extreme would also fit.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

The opening nonsense was just degenerate, wont be watching much of it as half of the performers on drugs anyway. Lost interest decades ago, too many sports and too many cheats and pros taking part. 

You're funny! 

• Confused 1

What is missing here is the GEEK's view, with analysis:

And, along with the GEEK's view, over 5,400 comments are shared here, from around the world, after 285,000 views in less than 16 hours.

One of the comments reads:  

"Why would you let a kid participate in the ceremony, and have a dancer, dancing around with his ball$ in the air? It was gross!"

Yes, and I must agree with this comment.

But was this travesty about any kind of supper?

Or, was this entire fiasco about something else?

Maybe....watch the video, and find out what a GEEK Analyst finds under the table.

The bearded blue guy with the tossed fruit salad on his head seems weird to me.

In fact, the entire crew seems like a bunch of misfits.

But I do not think this is the GEEK's view.....

Hard to say, really.

4 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

What a remarkable explosion of incomprehension!

Do yourself a favour @Jingthing, go back, read my posts on this topic, then read your last post, and ask yourself who is being moronic!

Yes I am straight.

Yes I am a Catholic.

Yes I was offended by the bizarre tableaux presented, which was very obviously intended to offend.

I am not blaming all LGBTQ people for that, nor am I blaming "drag queens" as a group, a group which quite frankly, this tableaux aside, I have no interaction with, no interest in or appreciation of.

I am not indulging in mindless bigotry, simply because I don't agree with you.

You don't know me, and I assure you that I attempt to treat all people, straight or gay on their merits.

If anyone is displaying bigotry it is you. You are certainly verging on the hysterical!

You choose to be offended by a depiction of the Last Supper which wasn't that anyway because the actors are perceived by you as LGBTQ.

You would never react that way to the same scene if they were cisgender straight appearing black people. 

You aren't even conscious of your bias.

It says LGBTQ people in this case drag queens are insulting to you if shown in a setting you don’t think they belong.

Do you think Jesus thought gay people or drag queens weren't as human as others?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

well, when a business is cancelled for not pride their windows during pride, then even you understand it have gone to far. 

You see it yourself how it is backfiring, dont you? I know it is an touchy subject for you guys, but the world is not just colourful rainbows, love and happiness. It is an rough place, and when ordinary people are not seen, and they know the louder you scream, to more attention you will get. It is very clear when you look at the MAGA movement, and they will not hold back, 

I see someone that referred to people the way usually reserved for roaches  lice, and rats.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

What a remarkable explosion of incomprehension!

Do yourself a favour @Jingthing, go back, read my posts on this topic, then read your last post, and ask yourself who is being moronic!

Yes I am straight.

Yes I am a Catholic.

Yes I was offended by the bizarre tableaux presented, which was very obviously intended to offend.

I am not blaming all LGBTQ people for that, nor am I blaming "drag queens" as a group, a group which quite frankly, this tableaux aside, I have no interaction with, no interest in or appreciation of.

I am not indulging in mindless bigotry, simply because I don't agree with you.

You don't know me, and I assure you that I attempt to treat all people, straight or gay on their merits.

If anyone is displaying bigotry it is you. You are certainly verging on the hysterical!

Well said.... 

The problem is now that either this ceremony was well received in whole, or a person is an anti-trans homophobe... (& anti LBGQT+)....

... It was the same with the kitsch performances in the Eurovision song contest... 

Common sense has been kneecapped by the highly vocal and toxic faux outrage of a minority wishing to shout the loudest from the rafters - and there there are the idiots on the forum who blindly support this wishing to argue a debate which should be a complete non-starter....   

... This behavior in public [trans last supper] should not be acceptable, it should not be tolerated, it should never have been permitted - and those holding such opinions are not anti-gay or anti LBGQT+... they (we) are just normal people who'd welcome any 'behaving person' into their homes - the issue here is that this is not 'good behavior' it is a form of exhibitionism that should not be tolerated on the public stage where families are watching - such overly sexualised misrepresentation of regular folk who's sexual orientation differs from heterosexuals is more damaging to genuine issues faced by 'normal' non- heterosexuals within society.

Of course - throw out a competitive discussion and our drama queen levies the accusation of bigotry, anti-gay... and then 'blocks you'...  simply because they have no intelligent argument that doesn't also dislodge their flawed agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well said.... 

The problem is now that either this ceremony was well received in whole, or a person is an anti-trans homophobe... (& anti LBGQT+)....

... It was the same with the kitsch performances in the Eurovision song contest... 

Common sense has been kneecapped by the highly vocal and toxic faux outrage of a minority wishing to shout the loudest from the rafters - and there there are the idiots on the forum who blindly support this wishing to argue a debate which should be a complete non-starter....   

... This behavior in public [trans last supper] should not be acceptable, it should not be tolerated, it should never have been permitted - and those holding such opinions are not anti-gay or anti LBGQT+... they (we) are just normal people who'd welcome any 'behaving person' into their homes - the issue here is that this is not 'good behavior' it is a form of exhibitionism that should not be tolerated on the public stage where families are watching - such overly sexualised misrepresentation of regular folk who's sexual orientation differs from heterosexuals is more damaging to genuine issues faced by 'normal' non- heterosexuals within society.

Of course - throw out a competitive discussion and our drama queen levies the accusation of bigotry, anti-gay... and then 'blocks you'...  simply because they have no intelligent argument that doesn't also dislodge their flawed agenda. 

If LGBTQ appearing in artistic performances are deemed too "highly sexualized" for the sensibilities of "families" pray tell why is it that straight and cisgender people are acceptable?

Straight and cisgender people have sexual orientations and gender identities as well. 

Another way of saying LGBTQ people are less than people. OK as long as they hide away from public performances and aren't too uppity.

At least you didn't imply they were roaches.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If LGBTQ appearing in artistic performances are deemed too "highly sexualized" for the sensibilities of "families" pray tell why is it that straight and cisgender people are acceptable?

Straight and cisgender people have sexual orientations and gender identities as well. 

Another way of saying LGBTQ people are less than people. OK as long as they hide away from public performances and aren't too uppity.

At least you didn't imply they were roaches.

They had the class of Celine Dion...   

If Emma Kok were there  (sorry, there is no pun in the name)... were trans, it would be irrelevant - a moving and emotional and a performance personifying the French - if they wanted to go in that direction....  they did with the Can-can Dancers performing in front of the Moulin Rouge as the olympic torch passed... again personifying the French... 

... then they went for the LGBQT+ gallimaufry which was not artistic, it was not funny, it was not french, it was an abomination there was no need for such a melange to be permitted oxygen......  the producer obviously too fearful of a woke backlash failed to test the temperature of ther water. 

Which do you prefer ?  

Can-Can dancers performing on Place Blance... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You choose to be offended by a depiction of the Last Supper which wasn't that anyway because the actors are perceived by you as LGBTQ.

You would never react that way to the same scene if they were cisgender straight appearing black people. 

You aren't even conscious of your bias.

It says LGBTQ people in this case drag queens are insulting to you if shown in a setting you don’t think they belong.

Do you think Jesus thought gay people or drag queens weren't as human as others?

You are just trolling now.

• Agree 1