Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

Richard, if you want a competitive discussion you need to get your facts straight. You call it perjoratively a "trans supper".  It wasn't a trans re-enactment of The Last Supper.

"The moral panic over a scene of drag queens feasting at the opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics set off a firestorm of outrage from religious conservatives and politicians who believed the scene was a mockery of the Last Supper. Except it wasn’t about the Last Supper at all. 

The so-called re-enactment was a scene of a bacchanal, a feast to the Greek god Dionysus. After all, the Olympics originated in ancient Greece, and the Greek gods were a part of the culture of that time. French director Thomas Jolly, who oversaw the opening ceremony show, explained that the scene was Dionysus arriving on a table and that it was meant to be representative of the gods of Olympus celebrating the Olympic Games."

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/olympics-2024-apology-christians-last-supper-elon-musk-mike-johnson-rcna164008

It's important to acknowledge this first.

Scenes of bacchanalia are shown in some very famous paintings in prominent galleries around the world and are not censored. What exactly were you offended by and what legitimates your belief that this performance should be censored?

I don't wish to speak for Jingthing but I think that your allusion to trans performances being the problem is what he was criticizing.

And I'm a bit disarmed when you talk about "normal people" and LGBT+ people in the same breath. It often leads to inevitable prejudicies. Shades of Peterson and his "freaks and queers."

And now, worshippers of ancient Greek gods are  complaining about this outrage and insult to all Dyonisos cult fans! 😃😄😅🤣

Edited by candide

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wrongly.

Why should the Olympics cave to ignorant bigots?

No. The Olympics is run by ignorant bigots, why should the cave to ignorant bigots they disagree with? 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

They all pretend to be Christians at election time yes? They were all praying for Hitler Trump's recovery a couple weeks ago, remember? 

Heard Kamala's pastor being interviewed the other day...

Hey, do you think Mr. Kamala will start wearing a yamaka if it polls well? 

They'll pimp every vote they possibly can, unless it's pro-American.

On 7/28/2024 at 7:53 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Exactly.  Not my cup of tea, but freedom of expression is something to be valued.

As long as it conforms to what they want you to say

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Richard, if you want a competitive discussion you need to get your facts straight. You call it perjoratively a "trans supper".  It wasn't a trans re-enactment of The Last Supper.

"The moral panic over a scene of drag queens feasting at the opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics set off a firestorm of outrage from religious conservatives and politicians who believed the scene was a mockery of the Last Supper. Except it wasn’t about the Last Supper at all. 

The so-called re-enactment was a scene of a bacchanal, a feast to the Greek god Dionysus. After all, the Olympics originated in ancient Greece, and the Greek gods were a part of the culture of that time. French director Thomas Jolly, who oversaw the opening ceremony show, explained that the scene was Dionysus arriving on a table and that it was meant to be representative of the gods of Olympus celebrating the Olympic Games."

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/olympics-2024-apology-christians-last-supper-elon-musk-mike-johnson-rcna164008

It's important to acknowledge this first.

Does any other depiction of the Feast of Dionysus so closely match DaVinci's depiction of the Last Supper ?

[Photo below]

... Perhaps this was simply a very clumsy production...   

... Perhaps those running the production were looking for the very attention and outrage they received...  

... Perhaps as you are pointing out there is nothing to see here...

My question, which I agree is loaded... is that if this specific melange was not a 'trans-centric' performance, would authorities have shut it down for being overtly sexualised and ridiculously kitsch ?...  

i.e. did the LBGQT+ aspect of the performance knee-cap taste in lieu of fear of being accused of being bigoted ?

Scenes of bacchanalia are shown in some very famous paintings in prominent galleries around the world and are not censored. What exactly were you offended by and what legitimates your belief that this performance should be censored?

I don't wish to speak for Jingthing but I think that your allusion to trans performances being the problem is what he was criticizing.

Yep - I think Jing is always going to take that stance - doubling down on what he may perceive as an attack on his individual and human rights as a gay male which IMO may blind his overview of the issue... 

[Photo below - <deleted>-slip - or hole in tights ? - I think it was later reported to be a hole in the tights]

I found this specific 'skit' distasteful for the world stage, while at the same time such kitschness as the Can-Can being performed quite the nod to French culture... there is a line and everyone's line varies.

Thats not to say there is no place for such 'colourful' performances, but like Madonna's spread eagled crotch thrusting and sexualised grinding on dancers - its not for the the world stage viewing or an Olympic opening ceremony - these displays are better left for those who are more informed regarding what they are likely to see.

IMO The whole skit was a mistake and tarred the rest of the performance - as mentioned, very poor oversight / production.

And I'm a bit disarmed when you talk about "normal people" and LGBT+ people in the same breath. It often leads to inevitable prejudicies. Shades of Peterson and his "freaks and queers."

You have misread - I have not talked about 'normal people at all'...  I mentioned 'normal non-heterosexuals in comparison to overly sexualised misrepresentations of regular folk who's orientation differs from heterosexuals... 

i.e. regular every day people (who could be gay, trans etc) vs those who overact in an overtly sexualised fashion misrepresenting regular folk (again, who could be gay, trans etc) and giving them a bad name within society.

Perhaps getting my words in a jumble attempting to avoid the very criticism you drew - i.e. that regular gay, trans folk do not act in such overtly sexualised fashion - it is those who do who who draw the inevitable prejudice IMO.

image.thumb.png.f04cebd29a33b57eeb4bfece8db2f40e.png

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 09.32.07.png

On 7/28/2024 at 12:51 PM, spidermike007 said:

Did you see the opening cemerony?

The parts along the Seine were quite nice. But some of the other parts? Rarely have I ever seen something done in such poor taste. Yikes. The dinner scene? The ladyboys crawling and shimmying on the ground? The kids partying with the queens? I'm watching it again and I can see the symbology, 13 people, one of them is wearing a crown sitting at a long table, it does look like a deliberate mockery of Christianity. I don't really get it, it was so unnecessary, it was sloppy, it was highly inelegant, ugly, and it was just very badly done. The only woman who's not in drag, is 400 lbs and ugly, what is that all about? Is there some anti woman symbology there, or is it an insult to the French monarchies of the past, or is it a tribute to obesity? Or is it just a lame and ineffective celebration of PC culture? 

I mean this is France, with a history of great culture. How did they let it descend to this level? Who dreamt this up, how did it get approved, why did they do it, and how can we cancel them? LOL.

This was unbelievably bad. It was vomit inducing, and I am a very tolerant person. I respect other people's sexual preferences, and I respect other people's lifestyles, but why disrespect hundreds of millions of people? Just because you can?

As a frenchman, I fully agree. I was ashamed for my country.

This not France!!

• Agree 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

Wrongly.

Why should the Olympics cave to ignorant bigots?

Bigots. 

There is a correlation between homosexuality and mental illness, if I say that does that make me a bigot? If I find the thought of a man tongue another man's bunghole repulsive does that make me a bigot? If find the overtly sexualized drag shows and pride parades found in the gay community classless and freakish, does that make me a bigot? If I think trans genderism is a mental illness, does that make me a bigot?

12 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Bigots. 

There is a correlation between homosexuality and mental illness, if I say that does that make me a bigot? If I find the thought of a man tongue another man's bunghole repulsive does that make me a bigot? If find the overtly sexualized drag shows and pride parades found in the gay community classless and freakish, does that make me a bigot? If I think trans genderism is a mental illness, does that make me a bigot?

Sure it does.

A bigot: "a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group."

I have removed a number of reported posts and replies that are off topic and trying to hijack the thread with a deflection into another discussion of US politics.

This discussion is about “Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics”, please try to stay on that topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sure it does.

A bigot: "a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group."

So, anyone that hates white supremacists is a bigot. That makes sense. 

But of course, whoever holds the conch decides what's "obstinately or unreasonably", yes? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What has Putin done lately to make the world a better place? 

I think another questions should bother you now. America was a really great country which win the Cold War. It was a great victory. Millions of Americans shared their efforts to get this victory. But what happened next? Your politicians did not even bother to get the nukes out of Russia ruled by puppet regime of Yeltsin. It was so easy to do and this was the only important thing worth doing. But they just rested and celebrated instead.

37 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Bigots. 

Yes

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, anyone that hates white supremacists is a bigot. That makes sense. 

But of course, whoever holds the conch decides what's "obstinately or unreasonably", yes? 

Is there anything like LGBT " supremacist"? 😀

1 hour ago, zmisha said:

I think another questions should bother you now. America was a really great country which win the Cold War. It was a great victory. Millions of Americans shared their efforts to get this victory. But what happened next? Your politicians did not even bother to get the nukes out of Russia ruled by puppet regime of Yeltsin. It was so easy to do and this was the only important thing worth doing. But they just rested and celebrated instead.

Getting the nukes is easier said than done. 

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sure it does.

There is your Leninist Left: Actual Truth is bigoted and you can only like what you are told to like by your Masters. That which revolts even the most primitive of man (Coprophagia) is now deemed Gourmet. That which does nothing but offend is deemed art. Children can't consent to having their teeth filled but can have their genitals mutilated to fullfill a political agenda and the perversion of adults without their parents knowing, and if Mommy objects to her daughter having her breasts removed at age 14, she will lose her parental rights and maybe go to jail.

Is it bigoted to repeat the chant of homosexual pedophiles as they march in bizarre sexual costumes in so called Pride Events: "We're here, we're queer we're coming for your children."

All hail the Brave New World of Narcissistic Leninists. 

Edited by Yagoda
  • Agree 1

Im sure old dinasour sports organizations is going to get competition from new sports arenaes, hosted in China, Russia, India, Middle East and Africa on their own terms. Might include parts of South America to

It is just a matter of time. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, zmisha said:

Welcome to Asean Now. Unfortunately, you must return to earth before you post.

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im sure old dinasour sports organizations is going to get competition from new sports arenaes, hosted in China, Russia, India, Middle East and Africa on their own terms. Might include parts of South America to

Good news that

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Yeah love those ratings in the West for the Saudi and Chinese Soccer League. Wonder how long before they show a profit.

2 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Bigots. 

There is a correlation between homosexuality and mental illness, if I say that does that make me a bigot? If I find the thought of a man tongue another man's bunghole repulsive does that make me a bigot?

It makes you rather odd to be thinking of such a thing....  it is also somewhat irrelevant as to what your private thoughts are - its when you publicise them so out of context and negatively it becomes bigotry.

If find the overtly sexualized drag shows and pride parades found in the gay community classless and freakish, does that make me a bigot?

I would say not, but only if you also find the the overtly sexualised performances of any other (heterosexual) performance also classless and freakish... as some are....  Some things are for family viewing, others are not. 

If I think trans genderism is a mental illness, does that make me a bigot?

Yes, that would make you a bigot. I think the bigger mental illness would be the suffering of someone who wishes to be a female born into a males body, or vice versa, such individuals need support. At the same time, tolerating overt and outlandish sexualised behavior is not the support required IMO - its the knee-capping of common sense. 

It shouldn't really matter to any of us how someone wants to feel. It only matters when it becomes offensive to what could be considered healthily balanced moral standards.

Such outlandish behaviour from Trans performers is just as bad as twerking, crotch rubbing etc of heterosexual performers when the targeted audience is families across the world. It must also be noted that in individual or specific settings then such behaviour is perfectly tolerable -  as the saying goes...    "there is a time and a place"... and I don't think 'that' saying is bigoted, its simple common decency... 

... The Olympic Opening Ceremony was not the "time and place" for such a performance (IMO of course).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Yeah love those ratings in the West for the Saudi and Chinese Soccer League. Wonder how long before they show a profit.

Saudis have economic power, and more or less taken over the martial art sports, and working hard to create a soccer liga, and doesn't have limited budgets or time limits.