Thailand unveils new visa rules, sparks mixed reactions

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

How many will soon lose all their work to AI?

Have you used ChatGPT or any of the other <deleted>, it's terrible, we are way off still unless you are a voiceover artist or something, which does seem to be getting better, or make basic websites. Other than that if you are skilled enough to convince your company to allow you to work worldwide then it's likely you are highly valued.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

You can enter as many times as possible within a calendar year. Entrants must show access to at least 20,000 baht but are not required to present a return or onward ticket unless specifically asked by an immigration officer.”

Till high season and then it will be back to normal.  

5 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Yeah.......sad.

Unfortunately your attempts to demean those who you hold in contempt because they have less money than you, and your overblown sense of entitlement, "entitles" you to no more than this:

474f493906fbcf129ba96e687d9361b3.jpg.deb0cfcfe86a833b7a88049189f7ed43.jpg

Well said, these hi-so members get on my nerves, especially when they spout stuff we already know, at length.............DUH...........🤣

Unfortunately, plums like that do not know an individual's circumstances that may have befallen on them, they live in their own weeeee bubble...🤔

• Agree 2

So, what if you fly in on holiday, will you get only 15 days on arrival or will it be still 30 days like it used to be and the 15 days apply only apply to land crossings?

13 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

Go in a dingy, they'll have a house, money and a new phone with-in a day!😜

You have your geography mixed up. He is talking about New Zealand.

Not the UK.

7 hours ago, paulikens said:

So, If i buy a ticket for the summer sonic festival in Bangkok in August I will qualify for a DTV visa and can stay for 180 days. Got to be more to it than that?  

No actually. Nothing more to it than that.

People's experience of visa rules in Thailand is valid, but doesn't mean that experience is reality today.

Things have changed a lot and it's open season right now. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Then why does a normal O-visa Spousal extension have to have a bank account here with B400K in it?! If I could just show  money in an account elsewhere in the world making money rather than sitting dormant in a Thailand bank.

The DTV does not require health insurance but mandates proof of at least 500,000 baht in assets, which can be held anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Are all the extending “digital nomads” and visa-runners gonna pay income tax in thailand on their foreign earnings if they stay a day over 6 months in Thailand?

Technically they would be Thailand residents for income tax purposes if they stay over 183 days in total in Thailand during a calendar year.

All is good, except for the possibility of increasing numbers of digital nomads.

These are just the new hippies of our modern age.

I did not like the hippies of the 60s.

Same goes for the nomads of the past decade.

When are they going to make it easier for those on a retirement visa?

That would be nice.

I think the retirement-visa guys among us are underappreciated.

People on retirement obey the laws, respect the local culture, and spend a lot of money which is totally brought in from other countries.

We should get more respect.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:42 PM, Kerryd said:

So you will be able to stay for 12 months at a cost of 7,600 baht (4 extensions at 1,900 each) plus the cost of 4 border runs.

Only if the immigration officer is not aware of the rule that you can stay a maximum of 6 months in a calendar year on the visa waivers. This 6 month rule has no changed, has it? Though indeed most immgration officers would probably be unaware of it.

On 8/5/2024 at 12:42 PM, Kerryd said:

Soooo, unlimited 60 day "Visa Exemption Stamps" - which could be extended for 30 days at an Immigration office for 1900 baht. 
Giving you a 3 month stay for 1,900 baht. 

Then a border run to get a new 60 day stamp and another 1900 for an extension when that one is due.

So you will be able to stay for 12 months at a cost of 7,600 baht (4 extensions at 1,900 each) plus the cost of 4 border runs.

And for as many years (currently) as you like.

Until they suddenly change their minds and cut back on them the way they did with the 30 day Extensions 7 or 8 years ago.

Must be a lot of skint expats rolling on the bar floors laughing their butts off right now and ordering a bottle of the "good beer" for a change instead of their normal small glass of cheap draft.

And a lot of "digital nomad" (aka "begpackers") who will now be able to buy a skewer of BBQ chicken to go with their half order of rice once a day.
All they have to do is show a "slip" from their employer and show that they have basically just over $14,000 US in "assets" - somewhere in the world and they are good for a year.

They didn't clarify though. You get the 180 days, and then can extend it for another 180 days and then what, do a border run and get another 180 days ?
Because the Visa is good for 5 years. If it was only good for 1 year that would be a different story. But by making it a 5 year Visa, that implies you can keep getting "180 day" stamps each year and then extending the stay by an additional 180 days each time before having to do a "border run" again.

Sweet  deal.

But for the people who follow the rules and keep their money in the bank ? 

Not a bluddy thing.

The problem is that the immigration guys maybe stopping you if the 60 days visa exemption is used too many times! That means it is a kind of lottery after a while if they stop you or not! It really sounds strange and not logical at all!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

No actually. Nothing more to it than that.

People's experience of visa rules in Thailand is valid, but doesn't mean that experience is reality today.

Things have changed a lot and it's open season right now. 

It seems a very strange reason in theory to why you would be coming to Thailand, Thailand is not exactly the epicenter of music festivals. So, why would anyone be flying the other side of the world in some cases, for a music festival in Thailand.  and does the 500k in the bank requirements still apply?     I can just imagine the Immigration's reaction If you told them that was the reason you was  coming into Thailand.  Laugh in your face and turn you round no doubt.   

Edited by paulikens
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, sambum said:

I heard a suggestion that Immigration don't want you to pay 1900 baht for an annual extension, because they get "nowt out of it". They prefer you to pay app 15K  to an agent as they get a share of that for "services rendered". And no, I do not have any proof of this, or a link - I'm "just sayin'"! 🙂 

That would not surprise me in the least. After Big Joke raised the bank seeding to 800K. etc. I bet that spawned a whole new gaggle of "Agents". I am also aware that before he was ousted from immigration He was feeding new ideas to the heads of that department. One of them was that the seeding money should be 3 million Baht. His thought was it would weed out the criminals. The only people with that amount of spare cash are (mostly), criminals. Imagine the agent kickbacks to immigration bosses if they implemented that little gem. I may be cynical, after over 30 years here, but I am pretty sure they make these things difficult in order to keep the under table dealings going.:giggle:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

That would not surprise me in the least. After Big Joke raised the bank seeding to 800K. etc. I bet that spawned a whole new gaggle of "Agents". I am also aware that before he was ousted from immigration He was feeding new ideas to the heads of that department. One of them was that the seeding money should be 3 million Baht. His thought was it would weed out the criminals. The only people with that amount of spare cash are (mostly), criminals. Imagine the agent kickbacks to immigration bosses if they implemented that little gem. I may be cynical, after over 30 years here, but I am pretty sure they make these things difficult in order to keep the under table dealings going.:giggle:

Nominated for the post with most disinformation of the year. Hard to find anything in that post that is true

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/6/2024 at 9:15 AM, MalcolmB said:

I am talking about Thais who want to travel, not illegally work. 
They are discriminated against because they are Thai. It is racist.

Well since the UN began their initiatives in human rights and female empowerment at odds with the traditional role of women creating families, both developed and developing countries don't want to go back to the traditional family values with women focused on bearing children.  One can see the resulting deographics, meaning that the populations age without as many children needed to just maintain the numbers of citizens, and then one can see how bad it can get - i.e. Japan having to recall retirees to the workforce, Korea predicting a 100% fall in the number of citizens as the young-to-middle aged folks now are not dating as much, not getting married (nor planning to), no kids if they do get married and having to work 2 or 3 jobs just to live a poor life, and we can't ignore Thailand either - they are predicting that in 20-30 years the population will be less than half that of today.  I am sure other countries' data would agree with this - especially any country that is hostile to immigration numbers needed to keep the low-paid jobs that the locals really do not want to do filled.  Then, since the pandemic and total closures of most jobs, and subsequent closures of so many offices, manufacturing plants, etc., many of those trying to re-establish that business have failed.  Many workers have not returned to the work force for many different reasons I guess.  Now it does appear that we might be entering a world depression.  We have an election in the US with candidates as far separated in platforms as the citizenry is too with many on both sides saying that they will not accept a loss to the other side.  I myself is not too concerned for myselt as I am an old man of the past out in the pasture so too speak but my wife and kids will have to face what comes.  I can only hope the best for them and try to prepare them for whatever comes about.  At the same time we expats here and probably in other lands too are possibly going to go through some turbulent years too both political and financial.  I do with the best for all their families too.

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

Nominated for the post with most disinformation of the year. Hard to find anything in that post that is true

Oh, really, well before you start throwing stones in the greenhouse why not get off your behind, and do a little looking. I know, just to help you in case you are suffering from ADD, here is a video pertaining to what I posted.....Yes, three million is not specifically mentioned, but I happen to know it was mentioned in another article......By the way, you are welcome, even if you are a mindless troll.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Well since the UN began their initiatives in human rights and female empowerment at odds with the traditional role of women creating families, both developed and developing countries don't want to go back to the traditional family values with women focused on bearing children.  One can see the resulting deographics, meaning that the populations age without as many children needed to just maintain the numbers of citizens, and then one can see how bad it can get - i.e. Japan having to recall retirees to the workforce, Korea predicting a 100% fall in the number of citizens as the young-to-middle aged folks now are not dating as much, not getting married (nor planning to), no kids if they do get married and having to work 2 or 3 jobs just to live a poor life, and we can't ignore Thailand either - they are predicting that in 20-30 years the population will be less than half that of today.  I am sure other countries' data would agree with this - especially any country that is hostile to immigration numbers needed to keep the low-paid jobs that the locals really do not want to do filled.  Then, since the pandemic and total closures of most jobs, and subsequent closures of so many offices, manufacturing plants, etc., many of those trying to re-establish that business have failed.  Many workers have not returned to the work force for many different reasons I guess.  Now it does appear that we might be entering a world depression.  We have an election in the US with candidates as far separated in platforms as the citizenry is too with many on both sides saying that they will not accept a loss to the other side.  I myself is not too concerned for myselt as I am an old man of the past out in the pasture so too speak but my wife and kids will have to face what comes.  I can only hope the best for them and try to prepare them for whatever comes about.  At the same time we expats here and probably in other lands too are possibly going to go through some turbulent years too both political and financial.  I do with the best for all their families too.

Paragraphs.....🤔

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, john donson said:

look at thailands neighbors, malaysia... 90 day on arrival, FREEEE, for how many years now...

thailand, 60 + extension 1900 baht

Try to live in Malaysia for 20 years on visa runs every 90 days

On 8/5/2024 at 5:42 PM, Kerryd said:

so, far more time consuming and expensive than say using an agent. A false economy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ryandb said:

Have you used ChatGPT or any of the other <deleted>, it's terrible, we are way off still unless you are a voiceover artist or something, which does seem to be getting better, or make basic websites. Other than that if you are skilled enough to convince your company to allow you to work worldwide then it's likely you are highly valued.

So you think the impact is relatively few people being displaced?  I don't know. I am just asking a question. I sincerely would like to get an idea of what impact this has on people. I've used ChatGPT and, yes, for what I need it's near useless. Gemini was another issue. It actually worked quite well--aside from the DEI image fiasco they experienced. But Gemini has been getting worse. Both Gemini and Chat GPT suffered from an inability to "learn." I could correct their mistakes--and they would admit to it--but the next session they were back to the same starting point. That and the fact they write off sites they can't access without paying. That was a lack in my view, because sites such as JSTOR supply public access to abstracts and no need of payment. But I would need to provide a link to each separate abstract for the AI to add to a particular session's discussion. Then, next session another tabula rasa.

15 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Only if the immigration officer is not aware of the rule that you can stay a maximum of 6 months in a calendar year on the visa waivers. This 6 month rule has no changed, has it? Though indeed most immgration officers would probably be unaware of it.

Do you have a link to that rule?

On 8/6/2024 at 12:31 PM, rocketboy2 said:

Mate we are talking about the digital nomads.  they will be 95% fxxxxxxd

Some people are really clueless. Barely anyone will lose jobs, the jobs only change. That's happened ever since Google is a thing with Online work. 

• Haha 1

I don't keep up with Thai immigration rules anymore. But, does this mean as a US citizen I can fly in , get a 90 day, then extend 30. Fly out and fly back in for another 90 days?  So I could stay about 180/yr?