Brutal assault on Canadian raises serious questions about tourist safety in Pattaya

webfact

1 minute ago, sungod said:

I just put what it said in the report at the time, haven't seen the CCTV footage so please put up the link.

6 posts up !

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

It sounds like you might be defending Soi 6, that clearly explains the quality of expat you are, Leo wife beater and Bata 150baht sliders engaged i assume?

that was weak at best.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Support said:

CCTV footage captured the altercation, clearly showing there was no punching involved, only pushing, which led to the tourist falling and injuring himself. 

So instead of amending the original post why put this on the middle of page 5 where almost no one will see? 

Every paragraph of the original article contains a made up lie.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I thought this oddball poster MalcolmB was British? Back in May he claimed he was set to marry a 46 year old Thai prostitute he'd met at a massage parlour in London and then come to retire in Thailand (having visited Pattaya once 'a long time ago')?

I can't believe how so many posters fell for it and offered advice, even the so called, 'visa expert', he was taking the p!ss out of them all.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm surprised! My opinion: The Thai (as a Thai, not as a security guard) acted Legally. The foreigner pushed him, provoking a fight. At least according to the laws of many countries, as far as I know.

It seems that the guards have been given legal advice/courses. It's just that in Pattaya lately many Thais are full of hatred towards foreigners and they only need an excuse. Which is what we see here, and happened with British and with man with the owl on the next street.

• Thanks 1

You can't solve the problem by closing down Soi 6 or any of the other rat holes here.

The thugs will just show up someplace else. I have been here for longer than 10 years.

I am now working on my exit plan.....it is officially a sh#t hole with the three major tourism 

groups being, Russians, Chinese and Indians. Why do they all come to Thailand?

Simple, the other countries don't want them

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Frankly, nothing will happen. No time will be served. No improvements made. No accountabilty. Justice will not be served .. again.... at least of any significance. The big broom will sweep it under the carpet to remain quietly forgotten together with other assaults, beatings and fights that make up Pattaya.

And this was just the usual nonsense and hot air.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

Patty is becoming even closer to  being a family destination. Didn't they mean the whole family should be beaten up instead?

They probably meant peaceful, civilized families who don't cause confrontations. The "victim" is a family man, w/ a wife anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

The push/shove did not injure the victim. It was the fall that occurred after the push/shove. A case can be made that the  intent was not to  directly harm and that the resulting injury was unintentional. Should the victim die, it might qualify  as "manslaughter" or "negligent homicide". 

The key issue though is why there had to be a shoving incident in the first place. A trained security guard avoids confrontation and violence and defuses or calms an incident. Shoving/pushing an old man in the absence of a direct physical confrontation is unnecessary violence. The operators of the bars on this soi already have a negative reputation for the conduct of their affairs and the source of the money. This incident does not help. The incident furthers the impression of corruption in Pattaya. unfortunately, like all other similar events, it will be forgotten and glossed over by next week.

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Any act of violence anywhere drops tourism in that area. There are a lot of people who want to visit Thailand, and word of mouth gets around. People see in the news daily what goes on here, along with advice from those that live here. The way foreigners are treated here will stop many from coming,with the exception of China because they are in cahoots with each other. I've heard from a couple of expats here that said their friends were considering coming here, but after seeing people killed on the islands, decided to go to Mexico, The Caribbean and Europe instead. Multiply those by all the people who have been here, stayed here, and heard the news, and it will, and has dropped. Thinking the victim will want to come back here is ridiculous. All of the foreigners that have been victims here have friends and family, who now know what goes on here . Certain areas, the tourist areas, will lose tourists.......https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/2800713/thailand-drops-11-places-in-tourism-ranking.

reports of a few friends changing their minds is proof of nothing, and lets not forget most tourists do not spend their time on this forum or watching Thai TV   ( which actually might put a few off)    And as for those who decided to  choose Mexico as a safer option. well I  am actually lost for words.

Plenty of incidents happen here . nearly every day, but the tourists keep on coming in their millions, I think the Thais can be forgiven for not worrying about a few snowflakes.

3 hours ago, sungod said:

I just put what it said in the report at the time, haven't seen the CCTV footage so please put up the link.

I doubt he has seen the cctv footage

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And you really think that "the lady" in Pattaya is representative of Thailand as a whole?

Doesn't matter politically they are allied with China.. That is all that counts.  This is not going to end well for expats from western countries. 10 years max.  Kinda of a joke really. A few years ago I was saying get out of the Chinese market and people on here were saying it is the best place in the world for investment. What a joke that turned out to be. As China slides into the abyss. Western sentiment in that part of the world and in Thailand is going to be extremly bad.  Tick tock, tick tock... haha

Edited by Gknrd

30 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

The push/shove did not injure the victim. It was the fall that occurred after the push/shove. A case can be made that the  intent was not to  directly harm and that the resulting injury was unintentional. Should the victim die, it might qualify  as "manslaughter" or "negligent homicide". 

The key issue though is why there had to be a shoving incident in the first place. A trained security guard avoids confrontation and violence and defuses or calms an incident. Shoving/pushing an old man in the absence of a direct physical confrontation is unnecessary violence. The operators of the bars on this soi already have a negative reputation for the conduct of their affairs and the source of the money. This incident does not help. The incident furthers the impression of corruption in Pattaya. unfortunately, like all other similar events, it will be forgotten and glossed over by next week.

What "trained" security guard are you referring to?  You do realise where you are don't you?   The operators of the bars are serious gangsters as are the contractors they use to provide security.   This incident has nothing to do with corruption, at least so far,  but it has a lot to do with out of control bouncers who appear to think  have free rein to do as they wish, probably because generally speaking , they can 

Maybe he was punched maybe he was pushed I don't know and I can't really be bothered, but ultimately a retired man has ended up in the ICU. whatever happened was far from ideal which ever way one looks at it

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Excellent.

Lovely place, really.

Nice climate, inexpensive; friendly locals, exotic culture; shopping, restaurants, and good, reasonably priced medical care.

plenty of shagging to be done too, Or don't we mention that anymore

2 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

You can't solve the problem by closing down Soi 6 or any of the other rat holes here.

The thugs will just show up someplace else. I have been here for longer than 10 years.

I am now working on my exit plan.....it is officially a sh#t hole with the three major tourism 

groups being, Russians, Chinese and Indians. Why do they all come to Thailand?

Simple, the other countries don't want them

The three groups you mention care little whether they are wanted or not.  Just like all those pouring into the UK.  they don't care about being wanted either, and they know full well they are not welcome at all,  but as their intention is to take over eventually, they see "not being wanted" by pesky infidel natives as a very temporary inconvenience.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DeeMakMak said:

I'm surprised! My opinion: The Thai (as a Thai, not as a security guard) acted Legally. The foreigner pushed him, provoking a fight. At least according to the laws of many countries, as far as I know.

It seems that the guards have been given legal advice/courses. It's just that in Pattaya lately many Thais are full of hatred towards foreigners and they only need an excuse. Which is what we see here, and happened with British and with man with the owl on the next street.

There was a total of five shoves. The 'guard' pushed the victim three times with the second one being quite violent. Only after receiving the third shove, did the victim respond with a much weaker shove after which the 'guard' shoved hard, causing the victim to fall and get injured (not injure himself as the AN's news bot suggests).

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

In the UK, it would come under causing actual bodily harm or ABH which can earn any 'shover' up to five years in jail. I recall Australia has a similar law where anyone delivering a blow or punch that subsequently results in serious head trauma, then they are also going to be charged accordingly.

Here in Thailand, less so. Especially with the feral types that typically get hired to mind the staff in these locales.

• Thanks 1

I observed this typical Thai reaction. The anti-senior sentiment is widespread. I won't go there unarmed ever again. About weekly I encountered a potentially violent reaction from the Thai Nationals. Also; disrespect and rudeness is quite common. I suspect it has a lot to do with jealousy. The Thai females almost exclusively prefer older American and European men. Who can blame them?

• Confused 3

21 minutes ago, TOPDOG1 said:

The Thai females almost exclusively prefer older American and European men. Who can blame them?

This has not been borne out through my own observations. For science, would you mind sharing where abouts you've seen this happening?

1 hour ago, TOPDOG1 said:

I observed this typical Thai reaction. The anti-senior sentiment is widespread. I won't go there unarmed ever again. About weekly I encountered a potentially violent reaction from the Thai Nationals. Also; disrespect and rudeness is quite common. I suspect it has a lot to do with jealousy. The Thai females almost exclusively prefer older American and European men. Who can blame them?

Sounds like your experiences are more about you

• Agree 2