Is a Rabies vax necessary?

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

She never complained of any pain with the first 2 shots but did with the 3rd one.

Yeah - they do hurt and can make you sore for a couple of days.

15 minutes ago, connda said:

All mammals are potential carries. 

Stay in context.

It is all about threat and the Thai government had a rabies vaccine program in place for cats.

• Confused 1

Many years ago there was an outbreak in Thailand,

reported here on thaivisa. (long before covid)

Because of bad vaccines , pets and people got infected.

The weird thing about rabies is , there seems not to be

a blood test . It's always after the animal dies , they take samples from the brain

to know if it was rabies.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There have been recent cases of dogs in Pattaya with Rabies. I was bitten a few years ago so got the rabies jabs. I would only bother getting the jabs if bitten

Which bar was they found in?

The rabies vaccine is absolutely necessary after a bite or scratch from mammals. Getting vaccinated beforehand is optional but still very useful, as it will reduce the number of shots needed if you are bitten later.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

I work with strays and temple dogs as well as having a mangerie of dogs, cats, and birds myself. 
If you work with animals, nips happen.  Even saliva from an infected animal reaching on open sore can cause infection.  And although I've been referred to as an "antivaxxer" due to my stance on mRNA vaccines (which I refuse to take until there is about another 5 to 7 years of long-term testing by independent researchers), I do take rabies boosters.

The initial vaccination schedule was 5 shots back when I got my first set a whole lot of years ago.  It looks as though those guidelines have changed to now be a two shot series on day 0 and day 7.

If you get nipped after the initial vaccinations, the shot series consists of a Gamma-goblin shot and three rabies shots about a week apart. 

I normally get boosted every three years unless I'm nipped or slobbered on around an open wound. Slobber happens more often than nips.

Have I seen a person with rabies?  No - that would be a dead person.  Those who survive rabies, and those are very few people, my guess is that dying would have been kinder. 

Do YOU need rabies shots?   It depends on your exposure to animals which are not yours.  If you don't interact with animals, then there is no real need.  If you are nipped or bit by a stray - then yes, you need the shots to be safe.

The price of rabies vaccines should be under 1000 THB.  At my local government hospital I think my shots were around 350 THB.  I'd suggest getting shots at a government clinic.  If you go to a private hospital get the vaccine costs up-front.  By the way - rabies vaccines for our dogs are free annually complements of the government program in our village.

I noticed some differences in your post compared to what I've read or experienced. Here are a few points that might benefit from some clarification:

1. Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP):

• For those who have already completed the initial rabies vaccination series (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis or PrEP), PEP typically consists of two doses of the rabies vaccine, given on day 0 and day 3. There’s usually no need for rabies immunoglobulin (RIG) in these cases because your body already has some immunity from the earlier vaccinations.
  2. For Those Unvaccinated:

• For individuals who have never been vaccinated, PEP can involve administering RIG alongside a series of four doses of the rabies vaccine on days 0, 3, 7, and 14. RIG provides immediate passive immunity while the body takes about a week to begin producing its own antibodies in response to the vaccine.
  3. Cost and Availability:

• RIG is a costly and limited resource, with prices in Thailand often starting at 5,000 THB for Human RIG. This is why getting the initial vaccination series (PrEP) and keeping up with regular boosters is so important—it reduces the need for RIG and ensures faster protection if you're exposed.

Your practice of getting boosters every three years is a good precaution given your level of exposure. This keeps your immunity strong, minimizing the risk if you encounter a rabid animal.

You can avoid getting vaccinated by chaining up the dog for a few days (not forgetting to feed it) to see if it starts frothing at the mouth. I got bitten and had the rabies vaccination many years ago.

1. Went to Chulalongkorn Hospital and bought the vaccine over the counter. You need several injections. I think it was six but don't quote me.

2. Get a local doctor to inject it. He can keep the vials in his fridge for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

According to the Division of Epidemiology, Department of Disease Control, fatalities have been reported consistently from 2018 to 2023. From January 1 to October 20, 2023, there have been five reported deaths due to rabies.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

such a rich a fulfilling life you lead sitting in front of your computer scanning for inane posts you stole from others.....smh

if you get bit,....dont worry im sure it will be fine

see a pattern?    I was watching a youtuber............im logging off and gonna go ride my bike and interact with society/people

i see my days on this site fading fast......just clickbait and politics BS............maybe take the ASEAN name off of the site....

i'll just jump on elons hate X for the same BS....i dont have to worry about the pop ups there either.....

Another nasty abusive post from you attacking other posters .

You do seem to be rather abusive to other  posters 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Stay in context.

It is all about threat and the Thai government had a rabies vaccine program in place for cats.

Huh?  I have no idea what you're talking about.

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Your practice of getting boosters every three years is a good precaution given your level of exposure

Having said this,  boosters are generally not recommended any more. 

Anybody who has ever had PrEP will count as previously immunized when PEP is necessary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Having said this,  boosters are generally not recommended any more. 

Anybody who has ever had PrEP will count as previously immunized when PEP is necessary. 

I would suggest that, as titer testing for immunity levels for humans may not be readily available in Thailand, boosters for high-risk exposure like animal workers and others with low levels after 10 years are an easy alternative.

My Western doctor also advised me to have a booster.

As my rabies PrEP was done in 2006 and my last booster from a rabies exposure was in 2009, more than 10 years ago, my GP recommended a single booster shot to maintain my immunity.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 1

I had a course of rabies shots at the Red X in Bangkok last year as a precaution because I befriend soi dogs and cats at every opportunity. 3 shots over a period of time. Total cost approximately 2000 total as I remember. No pain or side effects. If ever I get bitten it’s just a single booster shot. Well worth doing even though I’ve never been bitten. It just makes sense.

17 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

After watching a Philippines YouTuber go on about rabies which you can get from all mammals, 

I thought only dogs but apparently a cat scratch too 

Im thinking a Rabies vaccination may now be necessary 

Is it a threat as much as this YouTuber says

Anyone have the rough cost in Thailand, apparently it's 3 injection over a few months?

Have you ever had Rabies?

Have you even saw anyone with this ?

,are you wanting this injection yourself ?

I'm wondering if it's all a beat up and just promotion by vax companies.

There may of course be side effects to this vaccination 

Do you have rabies at Redfern?

8 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I had a course of rabies shots at the Red X in Bangkok last year as a precaution because I befriend soi dogs and cats at every opportunity. 3 shots over a period of time. Total cost approximately 2000 total as I remember. No pain or side effects. If ever I get bitten it’s just a single booster shot. Well worth doing even though I’ve never been bitten. It just makes sense.

Actually, once immunised, two booster shots are recommended following a rabies exposure.

57 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Actually, once immunised, two booster shots are recommended following a rabies exposure.

That’s not what I was told by the doctor, but the fact is I’ve been immunised and I’m happy.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

That’s not what I was told by the doctor, but the fact is I’ve been immunised and I’m happy.

Maybe you misunderstood.

Every doctor will tell you what @LosLobo said:

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Actually, his summary above is the best and clearest summary I think I have ever seen:

15 hours ago, LosLobo said:
  1. Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP):

• For those who have already completed the initial rabies vaccination series (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis or PrEP), PEP typically consists of two doses of the rabies vaccine, given on day 0 and day 3. There’s usually no need for rabies immunoglobulin (RIG) in these cases because your body already has some immunity from the earlier vaccinations.
  2. For Those Unvaccinated:

• For individuals who have never been vaccinated, PEP can involve administering RIG alongside a series of four doses of the rabies vaccine on days 0, 3, 7, and 14. RIG provides immediate passive immunity while the body takes about a week to begin producing its own antibodies in response to the vaccine.
  3. Cost and Availability:

• RIG is a costly and limited resource, with prices in Thailand often starting at 5,000 THB for Human RIG. This is why getting the initial vaccination series (PrEP) and keeping up with regular boosters is so important—it reduces the need for RIG and ensures faster protection if you're exposed.

Your practice of getting boosters every three years is a good precaution given your level of exposure. This keeps your immunity strong, minimizing the risk if you encounter a rabid animal.

Edited by Lorry
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had two courses of rabies injections. The first course (of 5 injections over 1 month) was when I was scratched by a monkey and the 2nd course last year (2 injections over 3 days) when I was bitten by a dog. Best to get treatment when you think you may have been exposed to rabies...when rabies symptoms start to show, it's too late.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2024 at 12:51 PM, giddyup said:

I don't think Rabies is survivable. Once you have it you're dead.

I think there have been 5 known survivors of rabies.  The odds are, therefore, NOT GOOD.  Get the jabs

Advice given to me from the DR of a major UK company;

Rabies Vaccine will not give you 100% protection, but increases the time you have to get to a major hospital and start full treatment if you know you have been bitten by a Rabid animal.

Two other points;

1.  Rabies treatment is very grim;  injections direct into your stomach with large needles.

2.  Nobody, but Nobody has ever survived Rabies.  If you get Rabies, you die.  Fact.

Thankfully, most animal owners here take advantage of the Thai government low cost, 10Baht, Rabies vacc. for domestic animals, so most Thai pets are Vacced.

Best advice I can offer is to void any chance of being bitten, if you can, and make sure all you pets and neighbours'  pet are vacced. every year.  

In our village the chief local vet comes at least once a year and sets up in thee temple compound, and inject all temple strays and every other animal brought for injection.

• Like 1

My opinion is they make up these wild prepostorous virus theories to milk the gullible hypochondriacs of their money.

Dogs packs are everywhere in Thailand, but I have never seen a rabid dog or known anyone to have rabies.  

We all have a special built in immune system to easily fix this problem.  You just have to know how.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1