Tuk tuk drivers’ street fight goes viral, sparking outrage (video)

8 hours ago, webfact said:

car3-2.webp

A street brawl between two tuk tuk drivers erupted yesterday, drawing significant online attention and criticism. The incident saw the drivers engage in a heated physical altercation, ignoring the desperate pleas of bystanders to stop.

A video of the confrontation quickly went viral on social media, showing one of the drivers wielding a stick as the argument escalated. Despite numerous attempts by locals to intervene and diffuse the situation, the conflict intensified, leading to a full-blown brawl.

Witnesses were heard shouting in an effort to put an end to the fight. However, the drivers continued to clash, disregarding the calls for peace.

The footage was shared by a popular Facebook page, which often highlights viral and controversial events. The page captioned the clip with a message urging the drivers to resolve their differences peacefully.

“Tuk tuk drivers fighting, not sure of the reason, but you share the same profession. Please talk it out… Violence is illegal.”

The incident took place in broad daylight, shocking many who witnessed it firsthand. The video shows the two drivers swinging punches and grappling with each other on the road. While the exact cause of the dispute remains unclear, the violent nature of the altercation has sparked widespread condemnation.

Police were not immediately on the scene, and by the time the video was shared online, the fight had already concluded. Locals expressed their dismay at the situation, noting that such acts of violence tarnish the reputation of tuk tuk drivers.

Many social media users echoed this sentiment, calling for stricter regulations and penalties for those who engage in public brawls. Comments flooded in.

“This kind of behaviour is unacceptable and gives a bad name to all tuk-tuk drivers. They should be held accountable.”

“We need more enforcement of laws against violence. It’s disturbing to see such aggression in our streets.”

The viral nature of the video has prompted discussions about the pressures and challenges faced by drivers, especially in a post-pandemic economy where competition for passengers is fierce.

Some users speculated that the altercation may have been sparked by a dispute over fares or territory.

by Ryan Turner
Image courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-10

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Call that a fight😤 The pair of them couldn’t put the cat out. 🤣

6 hours ago, Deez said:

They really are brainwashed in Thailand when they think that it is only one incident that "tarnishes" their reputation.

I know I will get replies concerning gold fish, I don't care, so is my comment on this.

A goldfish has better memory retension than many thais.

Edited by Aussie999

10 hours ago, webfact said:

the violent nature of the altercation has sparked widespread condemnation.

meanwhile a political party of the future was dissolved this week....... crickets.

leading to a full-blown brawl.

what ? 

noting that such acts of violence tarnish the reputation of tuk tuk drivers.

what ? 

especially in a post-pandemic economy where competition for passengers is fierce.

what ? 

9 hours ago, StandardIssue said:

Years ago, I mistakenly hired a Tuk Tuk to take me to tour the wats. We made a detour to about 2 suit makers during the trip and they tried to hard sell me suits. After the 2nd stop at a Tailors I ditched the driver in the middle of China town. I was a bit green back then. I knew it was not going to end well so I ran.

I have not used a Tuk Tuk since. Just a bad idea. I always chuckle when I see the green tourists all smiles roving around in the Tuk Tuks here in good ole' Kruntep.

I use tuktuks only under circumstances where the situation is safe and predictable. NEVER hire them for anything like tours, just a ride home after the BTS shuts down. Never had a problem in 10 years. 

14 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I use tuktuks only under circumstances where the situation is safe and predictable. NEVER hire them for anything like tours, just a ride home after the BTS shuts down. Never had a problem in 10 years. 

I don't know about that, with Bolt, Grab, motorbike and regular taxi's around, seems to be no reason to use Tuk Tuk's anymore. Simply a novelty these days for 1 week tourists selfies and social media fodder.

Look at me I'm in Thailand!! wow wow wi!!

It might be cool to own one though. I had considered that. Fun to drive I'll bet .. but the safety concerns are pretty significant

Edited by StandardIssue

23 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

Rage is never far from the surface,  with the Thai's

I can't agree with that statement although I can imagine that in Bangkok and other stressful places the propensity to violence is higher than in more rural areas. I personally have never had any negative experiences with either taxi or tuk tuk drivers in Bangkok, on the contrary I have found taxi drivers to be most obliging, having said that I must add that I am not often in Bangkok so perhaps I've just been lucky.

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2024 at 11:54 AM, Chris Daley said:

RoboTaxi has been successfully trialed in USA.  It will come to Thailand soon and sweep these people back into the slums.  You don't know where to go?  No map?  No GPS device?  Say hello to your replacement.

image.jpeg.b0afb4b87970b57152b137830198ad6a.jpeg

Good Luck with that.  The Taxis will block the Robotaxi.  They will go to government and hold many meetings.  If the government doesn't respect how Robotaxis will cause more unemployment they will probably start blocking roads.  Maybe even start messing with the taxis, like deflating tires.

On 8/10/2024 at 1:24 AM, spidermike007 said:

I remember about 10 years ago, just after the Junta takeover, the hapless army went on and on about how they were going to clean things up, and get rid of all the taxi mafias and corruption. LOL. They came to Samui, made a big demonstration of their power, two weeks later everything was the same. If you asked to taxi driver to use a meter he would just laugh at you.

That's the power (or impotence) and sincerity of the Thai Army. 

Unless it's against the voters. The army has no problem following orders and subduing certain political parties.

On 8/10/2024 at 9:50 AM, webfact said:

A video of the confrontation quickly went viral on social media, showing one of the drivers wielding a stick as the argument escalated. Despite numerous attempts by locals to intervene and diffuse the situation, the conflict intensified, leading to a full-blown brawl.

The ole timer needs to chill-out a bit..