New Computer

roger101

I am getting fed up with my computer. I bought it from Liberty (who don't seem to exist now). I have always used them, from my first Desktop many years ago, up to the present one. As I don't play games I always let Liberty advise me what I wanted (nothing too complicated). A couple of times over the years when I had a problem I would drop it into them and they would sort it out. But now I want some advice on what to buy. As I said I don't play games so I don't need massive power just something that runs smoothly.

Can someone describe a system that would meet my simple requirements at a reasonable price?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

I am getting fed up with my computer. I bought it from Liberty (who don't seem to exist now). I have always used them, from my first Desktop many years ago, up to the present one. As I don't play games I always let Liberty advise me what I wanted (nothing too complicated). A couple of times over the years when I had a problem I would drop it into them and they would sort it out. But now I want some advice on what to buy. As I said I don't play games so I don't need massive power just something that runs smoothly.

Can someone describe a system that would meet my simple requirements at a reasonable price?

What are you running now?

Type System Information into the Windows search box and then click on the System Information option.

Copy and Paste the info shown and post it here. (Remove System Name and Username lines before posting)

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, NowNow said:

What are you running now?

Type System Information into the Windows search box and then click on the System Information option.

Copy and Paste the info shown and post it here. (Remove System Name and Username lines before posting)

User name does not show in my System Information.

Bought this from my local Advice computer shop a couple of months ago. I don't play computer games either so it's for browsing internet, emails, basic office functions and audio/visual. No optical disk drive. No built in card reader. Seems to do what I want fast enough. My Thai neice was impressed with it and bought the same model for herself also from the same shop.  https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-asus/notebook-asus-vivobook-15-x1502za-ej577wf-quiett-blue-

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Bought this from my local Advice computer shop a couple of months ago. I don't play computer games either so it's for browsing internet, emails, basic office functions and audio/visual. No optical disk drive. No built in card reader. Seems to do what I want fast enough. My Thai neice was impressed with it and bought the same model for herself also from the same shop.  https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-asus/notebook-asus-vivobook-15-x1502za-ej577wf-quiett-blue-

I'm posting this from a similar ASUS Vivobook, albeit with more memory and an i9 processor. I subscribe to Microsoft 365 for emails, spreadsheets and word processing.

It boots up and shuts down really quickly, has an illuminated keyboard, a great screen and battery life is 3/4 hours when streaming.

I'm no expert/geek but I am very happy with it.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, dddave said:

If you have a decent, late model LED flat screen TV, you might consider a "Mini-PC" that plugs into your TV via an HDMI cable.  A wireless keyboard and mouse completes the set-up.  Nice to be able to watch YouTube and read mail on the much larger display.  A huge amount of content available.

similar to this, for example.  I'd suggest minimum 8gb Ram, 256 SSD.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/genmachine-new-mini-pc-amd-ryzen-r5-4600h-windows11-6-cores-12-threads-wifi5-bt52-ddr4-max-64gb-ram-4tb-ssd-support-three-screen-output-mini-office-gaming-computer-i5086903143-s21461313991.html?

All out of stock, and no prices.

My NUC i5 works perfectly on an OLD Samsung, non-smart TV.

16GB of RAM would be better.

Edited by KannikaP

I bought this from Amazon as it was actually cheaper than buying it in Thailand.  It's perfect, cheap and does all the basic stuff I need.  Dual HDMI ports means I can hook it up to both my TV and monitor.  Comes with Windows 11 installed and properly registered and no bloatware at all. After using the coupon it was less than 6000 delivered. 

https://www.amazon.com/TRIGKEY-Computer-500G-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B0C15DTJMX/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3JKC9EPBYVANO&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.l-wm5m7VAj1UQWOcwI8run248n-AtC3UKl2ap1HkjokYmfTNs6zhWTn4isct9HnR0XFbGEqUnfoUt1wxPs5NHsoZB8OXeW_P-CXpvfO0nehHtTJJ0hVWoHZN3zt1GK2tarXz4PFXhBhMv3Up96xPGvBUXgW2suixhBdHH5iCnnUDnzxzM5dcPvKkhEETPx9zCjen68JqkhRyqHxEBl3mTUIPLNvUZm99u1RDDIxbAMs.stlkwygusJzNzMeK6-NJXpuJRR-5Dq6CCxQLWyKEBns&dib_tag=se&keywords=trigkey&qid=1723681965&sprefix=trigkey%2Caps%2C423&sr=8-4&th=1

Edited by ricklev

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

All out of stock, and no prices.

My NUC i5 works perfectly on an OLD Samsung, non-smart TV.

16GB of RAM would be better.

When the page has fully loaded they are in stock with prices

• Thumbs Up 1

The only consumer tip I can offer is don't buy a light grey coloured laptop.  I've always had black Acer machines that have white letters on black button keyboard. 

Recently bought an HP with grey on grey keyboard. Even with background lighting, it's a pain in the posterior to use.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I bought this from Amazon as it was actually cheaper than buying it in Thailand.  It's perfect, cheap and does all the basic stuff I need.  Dual HDMI ports means I can hook it up to both my TV and monitor.  Comes with Windows 11 installed and properly registered and no bloatware at all. After using the coupon it was less than 6000 delivered. 

https://www.amazon.com/TRIGKEY-Computer-500G-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B0C15DTJMX/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3JKC9EPBYVANO&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.l-wm5m7VAj1UQWOcwI8run248n-AtC3UKl2ap1HkjokYmfTNs6zhWTn4isct9HnR0XFbGEqUnfoUt1wxPs5NHsoZB8OXeW_P-CXpvfO0nehHtTJJ0hVWoHZN3zt1GK2tarXz4PFXhBhMv3Up96xPGvBUXgW2suixhBdHH5iCnnUDnzxzM5dcPvKkhEETPx9zCjen68JqkhRyqHxEBl3mTUIPLNvUZm99u1RDDIxbAMs.stlkwygusJzNzMeK6-NJXpuJRR-5Dq6CCxQLWyKEBns&dib_tag=se&keywords=trigkey&qid=1723681965&sprefix=trigkey%2Caps%2C423&sr=8-4&th=1

Read the review where a user gets a tingle if he touches the case. Only a Celeron CPU

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Read the review where a user gets a tingle if he touches the case. Only a Celeron CPU

I didn't see that review.  I am not yet shocked.  The CPU is plenty fast for my uses which are MS Office, torrents and streaming and playing video.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I have had this issue with many computers in Thailand, and it has always been the result of not having a proper ground.

When I have a proper ground, the same computer that gave me the tingles no longer does.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I have had this issue with many computers in Thailand, and it has always been the result of not having a proper ground.

When I have a proper ground, the same computer that gave me the tingles no longer does.

Same here...

I've had a 'strange' soft to the touch 'buzz' feel on many occasions when I'm using my MacBook in Thailand (before with and older one and a new one)... I put it down to poor earthing - I don't get the same issue using the same laptop in the UK.

On 8/14/2024 at 11:13 AM, roger101 said:

A Lenovo Thinkbook laptop would look to suit your needs. It is configurable and relatively inexpensive. I would opt for 16 GB RAM as a minimum but 8 GB RAM may suffice for you. 

Just remember to use an external drive for your personal files and to back it up regularly.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, timendres said:

A laptop or mini computer which has an external power supply is NOT earthed/grounded, it only has a DC input.

3 hours ago, Cameroni said:

A Lenovo Thinkbook laptop would look to suit your needs. It is configurable and relatively inexpensive. I would opt for 16 GB RAM as a minimum but 8 GB RAM may suffice for you. 

Just remember to use an external drive for your personal files and to back it up regularly.

And send everything up to One Drive if using Windows.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here...

I've had a 'strange' soft to the touch 'buzz' feel on many occasions when I'm using my MacBook in Thailand (before with and older one and a new one)... I put it down to poor earthing - I don't get the same issue using the same laptop in the UK.

Laptops are not earthed, only a DC input from the external power supply.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, still kicking said:

Hijacking this thread Just bought a new laptop since I am not a computer geek how do I transfer my pictures to the new laptop since the new one has no disk drive? 

If using Windows, send them to One Drive so then available anywhere.

On 8/14/2024 at 7:36 PM, London Lowf said:

I subscribe to Microsoft 365 for emails, spreadsheets and word processing.

You can do all those processes without 365. The main advantages are 1TB of One Drive cloud storage and 60 minutes of Skype calls, for up to 6 people.

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

Hijacking this thread Just bought a new laptop since I am not a computer geek how do I transfer my pictures to the new laptop since the new one has no disk drive? 

Are you backing up/saving your photographs to a cloud service? If so, you don't need to transfer them. If not, recommended to do so immediately. 

• Thumbs Up 1