Koh Tao Bar Owner Arrested for Selling Laughing Gas to Foreign Tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

In a dramatic crackdown on illegal activity, the Crime Suppression Division raided a secret bar on Koh Tao, arresting a 33-year-old female owner who has confessed to selling laughing gas to foreign tourists for over six months.

Pol. Col. Sarut Khaewsopa, Commander of the Anti-Human Trafficking Division, spearheaded the operation. Working alongside Pol. Col. Kukkong Disawat and Pol. Lt. Col. Aphicha Thepchan, field officers apprehended the suspect, uncovering significant evidence: three gas cylinders, 14 used balloons, 120 unused balloons, 38 balloon exchange tickets, and 500 baht in cash. The raid followed a tip-off that the bar was selling nitrous oxide—commonly known as laughing gas—in balloons, intended for tourists to inhale and experience intoxication.

Questioning the suspect revealed that she had been discreetly operating this scheme for more than six months. Balloons were sold for 80 baht each, with a bulk offer of three balloons for 200 baht. This illegal distribution has become a troubling trend, raising concerns about the health and safety risks associated with inhaling nitrous oxidem reported Daily News.

The suspect's confession has raised significant concern among local authorities. Laughing gas, while legally used for medical purposes, is potentially harmful when abused for recreational purposes. Prolonged or excessive inhalation can cause severe health issues, including oxygen deprivation, loss of motor control, and in extreme cases, neurological damage.

Further legal proceedings will take place at Koh Tao Police Station as authorities continue their investigation. This incident highlights the ongoing need for strict regulation and vigilant enforcement to maintain public safety in tourist hotspots.

Local leaders are urging tourists and residents alike to avoid such illegal activities, emphasizing the importance of supporting legitimate businesses that contribute positively to the community.

Picture courtesy: Daily News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-15

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, what do I know? Koh Tao is the place where you can get sheer unlimited supplies in unlimited tanks of nitrous oxide. 

I - for one - would not even know where to start looking for such gas, even if I wanted to..... but that's me! 

14 used balloons

Is there a discount on the used balloons!

I hope this practice is not extended to other items that could be reused!

Although the JAM used to reuse them!

And a hundred lonely housewives. Clutch empty milk bottles to their hearts. Hanging out their old love letters on the line to dry. It's enough to make you stop

18 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, what do I know? Koh Tao is the place where you can get sheer unlimited supplies in unlimited tanks of nitrous oxide. 

I - for one - would not even know where to start looking for such gas, even if I wanted to..... but that's me! 

😂😂😂😂

Screenshot_20240815-063718_Google.jpg

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Laughing gas, while legally used for medical purposes, is potentially harmful when abused for recreational purposes. Prolonged or excessive inhalation can cause severe health issues, including oxygen deprivation, loss of motor control, and in extreme cases, neurological damage.

So, less dangerous than the buckets of unknown booze they sell?

With whippets (that's what we called shots of nitrous my dorm mates stole from the medical school in the '80s), just like weed, I suggest legalizing it, controlling the quality and distribution and taxing the beejeezus out of it.  And watch the tourists rolling in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, cowellandrew said:

14 used balloons

Is there a discount on the used balloons!

Return your depleted balloon for a 10% reduction on a refill and your next chuckle.

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

...now go arrest the real killer of Hannah & David.

Thanks!

bob.

Water board this guy til he exposes all he knows , all the farang owners of Dive Shops etc , Keep this on The Downlow  .try Reddit if you warn people lol the wrath you get