Anyone living in rural area's should be mindful of snakes. Photo attached

MIL bitten by poisonous snake twice next door to us.

( green snake with brown tail , ngoo keeo hang pow )

Two nights in hospital on both occasions with badly swollen hand and arm.

We have quite a few different snakes here on Samui.

Both venomous and non-venomous.

Plus pythons of course which can still be deadly.

I regularly remove them from villas - regular but not frequent thank goodness.

Also monitor lizards, scorpions and centipedes. All which can cause harm.

All of this is on a development. Semi-rural?

Take care people.

Just a question on

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

5. If one doesnt have a camera kill the snake and take it in a bag to the hospital for identification.

I thought that it was illegal to kill wildlife in Thailand???

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Duh, please read the 2nd info in the photo. Where is mentions 'fatal'

Unless that 'fatal' is caused by eating it - then it's not poisonous (Duh indeed) it's venomous

please read a dictionary :passifier:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

We have quite a few different snakes here on Samui.

Both venomous and non-venomous.

Plus pythons of course which can still be deadly.

I regularly remove them from villas - regular but not frequent thank goodness.

Also monitor lizards, scorpions and centipedes. All which can cause harm.

All of this is on a development. Semi-rural?

Take care people.

Just a question on

I thought that it was illegal to kill wildlife in Thailand???

No need to kill or bring the snake. The antivenom covers several varieties. Just get to the hospital and let them handle it.

14 hours ago, advancebooking said:

We have land in semi rural area. Tree's and rice fields around. Small canals with water nearby. 

Last week I folded an old vinal sign and put it on top of our concrete boundary wall. 2 nights ago we had a huge storm and it was blown off the wall into our carport area. I asked a friend to help me fold it back up and saw the snake right where my friend was standing- it was under the vinal sign that she lifted up. 

Called the local snake guy who said if bitten by this species, one would die within 60 minutes with no anti-venom. His advice was 

1. Everyone living in rural area's should own a snake book like the one I showed him

2. If bitten try to get a photo of the snake or find it in the book

3. Go to the nearest public hospital- not a private hospital. They have all the anti-venoms 

4. This time of year clean up all outside living areas. Snakes are looking for homes out of the rain. 

5. If one doesnt have a camera kill the snake and take it in a bag to the hospital for identification. The following day watch yourself being ridiculed by the Thai tabloid news stations. It happened a year or 2 ago in Isan. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a118625edf3b767566d92e7d40268fd.jpeg

cheers 

image.thumb.jpeg.d64a014b32947f760d2dac36f632f13b.jpeg

Any idea how many snakes there are in Bangkok?

Snake help line gets a call every 15 minutes on average.

Had a 4.5-meter python under the house next to me.

Edited by FritsSikkink

For those on FB there are some useful groups to learn more about common snakes in Thailand, people post their findings/sightings and get IDs from the group experts.

Snakes of Bangkok and Snakes of Isaan, are two informative groups.

Venomous vs poisonous snakes ... yes, there are poisonous snakes.   

Although, usual be eating poisonous 'food w/toxins', such as Crocodile Newts, which are in TH.  Not sure if snakes other the Garter Snakes (which I don't think are in TH), dine on them too much, or are immune to their toxins.

if eating a snake, you probably wouldn't be eating the liver of anyway.

Now you know ... :coffee1:

59 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

What you need is not antivenom but a ventilator. The hospitals all have a plan to deal with snakebites, just go there and let the experts do their jobs, They know what to do and you obviously don't.

May need both, depending what you get bit by.  Hint, take a strong piece of garden hose with you, on the way to hospital, as you may actual need to be 'vented' on the way.

@ 11 mins of vid ... it can kick in fast

On of my greatest loves in England for many years was walking around my village in the early hours. Now that I live in a Village near Lamphun - no way!

I've seen dead banded kraits on the road outside as I drive in.

Not seen green tree snakes in the longan trees for some years. Once had very long king cobra.

The excellent Thai guy who comes to spray the house every month for termites and assorted little b#stards, says that his spray will also dissuade snakes from coming near the house. It's worked so far (but I must not tempt Providence!)

I have two dogs. They might be little (a Pom and a Japanese Spitz, but they usually spot anything nasty in the garden and their alarm call is surprisingly loud and absolutely unmistakable. I go running with pickaxe, adze, mattock! The problem is getting my dogs away from the b#stards.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You don't want to get bit by the one in the OP.   I've only encountered one a long time ago.   First house being build, and some young kids <7 yrs old were playing over by a stack of our cinder blocks when I saw them all back up ... hmm, snake, scorpion or centipede.

Same damn krait, but in slow mo.  Cool season and quite chilly, and guessing they woke him up.  Wasn't moving so slow, or fast, after I saw it.

Living rural, we've seen our share.  Couple cobras, more than a few Malay/Russel pit vipers.  Which I'll kill if get the opportunity to.   Had a family of Golden Tree snakes at 2nd house, and they got a pass.  Actually enjoyed having them around.

Gave the ones I know aren't venomous a pass.  Daughter & dog take priority over snakes.

Malayan pit vipers,monacled cobras king cobras...all you want

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

There are no poisonous snakes in Thailand 

Depends how well you cook them first.

All toxins dissipate after ten minutes boiling.

• Haha 1