Freezer packed it in.....any fridgies here? need advice

Freezer stopped working a day or so ago. Almost impossible to get an onsite tech here where I am. Just after a bit of fault finding advice.

Its a large domestic chest freezer. I had an issue with it before and I forget now but I think it was the compressor relay. I am actually an electrician but know little about fridges. I do know a bit about single phase motors in as much as they usually have a start / run winding and need a relay or something to start smoothly. Anyway, in the little black box on the compressor there is a plug in relay, above that a little component with one wire attached (over temp cut out?) and a 4 mic capacitor. I have take all these components out and will try to source them today at a large appliance repair supplier near us.

What does bother me is the compressor, even though not running was very hot this morning, not too hot to touch but close to it. I guess sitting there in limbo unable to start. There was no vibration from the comp motor or any hint it was trying to start or laboring. I am hoping it hasn't burnt out. Hopefully the temp cut out (if that's what it is) has been keeping it from burn out. Anyway, I will replace all three components this morning and see how it goes. It could actually be the compressor itself. Just hoping something simple.

Coincidentally (or not) the same day the freezer seems to have stopped working was the day the wife defrosted it. I told her to be very careful with any water around the electrics and obviously not use anything to chip at the ice. Shes done it before and knows not to do stuff like that. Maybe in this heat and the compressor working so hard to refreeze everything pushed it too hard? There doesn't appear to be any water around the electrical area. There is power at the outlet and no breakers etc have tripped.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be the problem or if likely the compressor has burned out or suck it and see situation?

Edited by Kenny202

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks so much for your help. As it turns out unbeknown to me the Mrs organized a guy to come this morning. Wasn't confident in him when he didn't seem to know what the relay was I showed him I already pulled out. He took it back to his shop and 10 minutes later called and claimed the compressor needed replacing. Had no choice but to tell him to go ahead. Cost 2500 and brought it back this afternoon. Seems ok now. Probably got done but stood to lose about 10-15k in food so had to swallow it. Just happy its fixed, thanks for your help 🙂

What foods did you have for 10, or is it 15k? 

On 8/16/2024 at 6:44 AM, Kenny202 said:

Coincidentally (or not) the same day the freezer seems to have stopped working was the day the wife defrosted

She may have damaged the exposed internal components while defrosting. 

A mate of mine defrosting his fridge put a knife through his freezer recently. 

It would be very difficult to diagnose remotely, really need on-site tech. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

38 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What foods did you have for 10, or is it 15k? 

Its a large commercial freezer. Do you want a stock list or you don't believe me? 10k as in 10000 baht, not kilo. 10 or 15k not sure, did an estimate. What is the purpose of your stupid pointless reply? (as usual)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

She may have damaged the exposed internal components while defrosting. 

A mate of mine defrosting his fridge put a knife through his freezer recently. 

It would be very difficult to diagnose remotely, really need on-site tech. 

Its not punctured. Comp replaced, re gassed and working fine. Thais puncturing fridges and freezes here while defrosting an everyday occurrence

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Its a large commercial freezer. Do you want a stock list or you don't believe me? 10k as in 10000 baht, not kilo. 10 or 15k not sure, did an estimate. What is the purpose of your stupid pointless reply? (as usual)

I realised you mean 10-15 Baht. For insurance purposes is it 10 or 15? 

And what does the as usual mean please? If you think my replies are stupid and pointless, either tell me, or put me on Ignore. Thanks.