Thailand's Newly Elected Female PM: Paetongtarn Shinawatra Vows Dedication

6 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Vows dedication…… to her father, and to enhancing their family fortune. The interests of the country and the Thai people probably didn’t even crack the top 10.

Dynasty

Yesterday the Carringtons.  Today the Shinawatras.

th-2321301582.jpeg.53cd98ae46a9cd615c232a811da53b79.jpeg

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Show me one Thai commoner who was given the opportunity to vote for her?

The answer to that is 0,   but this not how it works the people commoners DO not vote for a PM,  the people in an election vote for a MP who in turn votes for a PM, election of a PM does not involve  the people

I am amazed the people do not know how parliament works, nor who they are voting Amazing !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

Somewhat similar situation to the Philippines, where the Marcos family keep themselves in power forever.

Same same and not even a little bit different. 

5 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

The answer to that is 0,   but this not how it works the people commoners DO not vote for a PM,  the people in an election vote for a MP who in turn votes for a PM, election of a PM does not involve  the people

I am amazed the people do not know how parliament works, nor who they are voting Amazing !!!!

I actually know exactly how the parliament works.  Hence the post. 
But - You don't get it do you?  Sorry - abstract though mustn't be your forte.  You're forgiven.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Same same and not even a little bit different. 

no it is different the Marcos ruled by the Gun, and still do to a certain extent, but i must admit years ago when Thaskin was Pm he started the war on drugs 2500 people killed

4 minutes ago, connda said:

I actually know exactly how the parliament works.  Hence the post. 
But - You don't get it do you?  Sorry - abstract though mustn't be your forte.  You're forgiven.

then if you know how parliament works why ask "Show me one Thai commoner who was given the opportunity to vote for her?" just stupid to me not even funny

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

then if you know how parliament works why ask "Show me one Thai commoner who was given the opportunity to vote for her?" just stupid to me not even funny

Still going right over your head, 'eh?  Sorry.  This is my last comment on the matter.  Feel free to wrap it up and put it to bed.  Here's something to do when you're finished.  :wink:

https://cerebrumiq.com/start

Amazing how many farangs who have spent years in thailand and still can't speak 100 words of thai know exactly what is best for the thai people.

Give her a chance.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

The Kamala Harris of Thailand.  But at least she is not a flip flopping Marxist out to destroy Thailand.  Was she legally appointed to run and went through the proper procedure to get to be PM.  So who have a Father, sister, and a daughter from the same family to be PM.  Anyone asking about the 600 million Baht she received the same time her Father did not pat a tax on 1.7 Billion Baht.  If I remember right her brother also received around 600 million Baht after the sale of the cell phone network he owned.

Dad did not pay any tax when he sold AIS ,he sold though the Thai stock market, then (or still is), if you sell a company though the Thai stock market you do not pay any tax.

When I first heard that I thought that law wants changing, like lot of things here that's suits only the rich. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

Now, about that 10,000 baht digital wallet.

That was just a Red Herring to get the necessary votes while Thaksin used his magic to clear the path for familial succession. Now cast aside without a care. I doubt if the Thai people who have already spent it, in fact or promissory note, will be greatly enamoured of the sleight of hand shenanigans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

Amazing how many farangs who have spent years in thailand and still can't speak 100 words of thai know exactly what is best for the thai people.

Give her a chance.

Give her a chance and she rob you blind

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Trippy said:

Gotta say one thing about Thai politics, it sure does move fast. The leader is out on weds, new leader on friday, no messing around. For better or worse I would like my goofy country (USA) to take a lesson here. Between our nominating process and election then turn over, it takes about a year and a half which is ridiculous.

Look into the Belgian government and its politics

9 hours ago, pomchop said:

Give her a chance.

as oppossed to all the native citizens who definitly speak their own language and still don't know,, or care what is best ?

Pin page

21 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

He has been warned to keep his nose out of politics, but he can't.

He was supposed to have come back to spend time with his grandchildren and due to ill health.

Furthermore, he certainly doesn't look ill at all to me. He's walking fine, and the neck brace has gone, I see.

There could well be trouble ahead, the military are not going to take this laying down, and if it's a toss up between the Military or Thaksin, my money is on the military.

I am sure in my own mind, it would have been him pushing the former PM to employ the corrupt lawyer involved in Thaksin's 'chocolates for the Judges 'case, and then behind the scenes, reporting him, through a puppet, for 'breach of ethics codes '

That would be spot on - what else would you expect from an outright lying toe-rag. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 8:13 AM, motdaeng said:

... that's a good one ... she will keep working for toni and the other corrupt old dinosaurs ...

i've yet to see a thai politician whose top priority is serving the thai people ...

True, but it does not only apply to Thai politicians.

9 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

How totally naive you are, this is the Shinawatra legacy

His government has been frequently charged with dictatorship, demagogy, corruption, conflicts of interest, human rights offenses, acting undiplomatically, using legal loopholes, and hostility towards a free press. A controversial leader, he has been the target of numerous allegations of lèse majesté, treason, usurping religious and royal authority, selling assets to international investors, religious desecration

UN Commission on Human Rights

"Lawyers have suggested that Thaksin's drug war might amount to a crime against humanity under Article Seven of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court [ICC], set up in 1992."

Thaksin finds this funny. "I've done nothing wrong!" he laughs. "I just give the policy."

Human rights commissioner Wasant Panich thinks otherwise. "Those who devised the policy are primarily responsible for the deaths," he says. Mr Wasant believes that only the threat of an ICC trial will ensure this kind of incident never happens. Thailand signed the Rome Statute in 2000 but, under Thaksin, didn't ratify it.

So you like the idea of a military coup overthrowing elections of the Thai people?  And of course farangs know more about what the Thai people want than the Thai voters?     "lawyers" suggest lots of BS including "might be crimes". 

They have courts that are supposed to handle criminal charges...not tanks.

4 minutes ago, pomchop said:

So you like the idea of a military coup overthrowing elections of the Thai people?  And of course farangs know more about what the Thai people want than the Thai voters?     "lawyers" suggest lots of BS including "might be crimes". 

They have courts that are supposed to handle criminal charges...not tanks.

Think you best read my post again, and point out Where it states anything about a coup????

if you read the post correctly its state the Shinawatra legacy  of a convicted felon,  and what he did to the thai people,  and believe me there where crimes, you need to read the thai history and be ashamed that this man is still free,

5 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Think you best read my post again, and point out Where it states anything about a coup????

if you read the post correctly its state the Shinawatra legacy  of a convicted felon,  and what he did to the thai people,  and believe me there where crimes, you need to read the thai history and be ashamed that this man is still free,

Just as soon as all the coup makers are no longer free.

On 8/17/2024 at 6:14 PM, connda said:

Show me one Thai commoner who was given the opportunity to vote for her?

She's talking about the parliamentarians who voted for her. Under Thailand's electoral system, the people do not vote for the prime minister directly, as is the case in numerous parliamentary systems.

On 8/17/2024 at 11:37 AM, spidermike007 said:

There are only two reasons why she was selected, number one is her father and number two is the fact that she's young and there's a false notion that she would somehow represent the aspirations of the youth.

We all know that's not going to be the case, she listens to the dinosaur for advice, and she represents the elite, and the corrosive powers, and everything that's regressive and wrong with Thailand at this moment in time. 

I hate to sound hopeless, but they're going to need somebody like Thanathorn or Pita to lead the nation out of this moment of darkness. It will happen eventually, none of us really know how long it's going to take, it's up to the Thai people to decide. 

A poodle amongst a pack of rottweilers is my vision for this silly girl.

Her father is a cad and needs taking down a few pegs. What a prick.

Edited by sherwood
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, sherwood said:

A poodle amongst a pack of rottweilers is my vision for this silly girl.

Her father is a cad and needs taking down a few pegs. What a prick.

"Her father is a cad and needs taking down a few pegs" You joke !!!! The guy is a corrupt  Killer and gangster should be locked up for life 

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Haha 2