Am I REQUIRED to use a Non-immigrant O visa if I have a Thai spouse?

Hi all,

My question is, am I forced to use the non-immigrant o visa if I want to stay in Thailand with a Thai spouse, or am I free to stay here with the visa of my choice (assuming I am eligible to obtain it)?

For example, can I get married to a Thai, leave Thailand, obtain a DTV or Privilege in my home country, return to Thailand, and just go about my normal life with my wife? Is there anything against the law about that?

My search terms just yield generic results like "you can stay in Thailand with your spouse by obtaining a non-immigrant o visa."

(I don't think it matters, but in case it does, my wife to be has Korean citizenship in addition to Thai.)

On 8/17/2024 at 2:13 PM, lastchance said:

Hi all,

My question is, am I forced to use the non-immigrant o visa if I want to stay in Thailand with a Thai spouse, or am I free to stay here with the visa of my choice (assuming I am eligible to obtain it)?

For example, can I get married to a Thai, leave Thailand, obtain a DTV or Privilege in my home country, return to Thailand, and just go about my normal life with my wife? Is there anything against the law about that?

My search terms just yield generic results like "you can stay in Thailand with your spouse by obtaining a non-immigrant o visa."

(I don't think it matters, but in case it does, my wife to be has Korean citizenship in addition to Thai.)

I retired to Thailand in 2011, so Visa based on Retirement. Met my now, Thai Wife in 2017. Only switched to Visa based on Marriage last year. Many remain here on Visa for Retirement while married to a Thai national.