Thaksin's Lese-Majeste Trial Set for July Next Year

10 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK, Aug 19 (TNA) – A Thai court has scheduled witness hearings for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s lese-majeste case to begin in July 2025, following the completion of evidence examination.

What?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

Plenty of time to set a favorable groundwork for his defense. It'll all be forgotten.

And also plenty of time to make more enemies and think you are invincible.

I don't say he will lose that case, but I also think he shouldn't think that is an impossible outcome. 

5 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Now , Thaksin has the power he dreamt of , again .

He will use his time as a ' government advisor ' to built up a totalitarian system with his cronies in all important instances . Senate , Constitutional Court , Election Commission ...

His main goal , he even said this in public , is to prevent the new peoples party to gain a majority of votes at the next pseudo elections .

What Thai people vote for is not important in his eyes , negligible .

This guy and his cronies are all enemies to a real democracy .

Thailand is drifting away now ... into a political grotesque that has nothing to do with democratic principles .

He will try.

Will he succeed? I personally don't think so. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

So, we've got you now. Just be careful, behave yourself, no rocking the boat, or you'll really really be for the high jump next July.

I wonder if he can present his certificate innocence as a defence?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It is more time to enjoy his freedom than most students in jail are doing.... Why another exception for this money based overwealthy man??  

Everything is just show. This world unique law needs to be kept alive, so people can see it still exists and is taken serious, keep the fear alive.  People should see examples, also high-ranked and elite, get into court, but of course for them this is just fake, being organized, nothing will happen. It all belongs to the manipulation of aristocratic regimes, they wil do everything to remain in power. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

When questioned by reporters about his confidence in fighting the case, Thaksin expressed that he was not worried and saw no problems

I don't imagine for one moment that was just bravado.

Absolutely, this is an issue to be dealt with by Thai citizens. However, as a friend of Thailand I do have my public opinion. That opinion is that, this particular law has been purposely misused against political opponents. The recent call by the freely elected majority party's call for reforming the law was correct. Not an attack on the Monarchy but rather a call to return to the purpose of protecting the Monarchy.