Eye surgery.

I'm 61 and tired of wearing glasses. I think about having eyes surgery to improve my quality of life. I'm interested in multi focal lenses.  Any recommendations about a good eye clinic with reasonable prices? I live in Chonburi Banglamung area.

Thank you.

• Confused 1

This topic should be moved to the medical forum. 

But in that area of Thailand, and for something delicate like that, you should only consider the biggest international hospitals. Bangkok General is one of them. 

If you go to Bangkok to do it though there are lots more options. Some really big, well reviewed, clinics that only do LASIK surgery in Bangkok. 1-2 nights in a hotel to get the surgery done and then go back to Chonburi. 

Edited by FriscoKid

7 minutes ago, FriscoKid said:

This topic should be moved to the medical forum. 

But in that area of Thailand, and for something delicate like that, you should only consider the biggest international hospitals. Bangkok General is one of them. 

If you go to Bangkok to do it though there are lots more options. Some really big, well reviewed, clinics that only do LASIK surgery in Bangkok. 1-2 nights in a hotel to get the surgery done and then go back to Chonburi. 

No need to go to Bangkok.  Bangkok Hospital Pattaya offer it, check their website.  Their Eye clinic is excellent 

• Agree 1

You're talking about a Clear Lensectomy or essentially cataract surgery without cataracts.

You should look into the known side effects of the surgery such a retinal detachment especially if you're myopic.  You search for increased QoL may end up creating more headaches then you currently have with glasses.

Regarding lens:
"Trifocal lenses have the most vision range, but they come with the risk of glare and halos at night. Extended depth-of-focus lenses work differently and have a lower risk of halos, but you may still need reading glasses, especially in dim light,"
-Harvard Health Publishing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rutteketuut said:

I'm 61 and tired of wearing glasses. I think about having eyes surgery to improve my quality of life. I'm interested in multi focal lenses.  Any recommendations about a good eye clinic with reasonable prices? I live in Chonburi Banglamung area.

Thank you.

Sorry, I am not familiar with your area. After wearing glasses to correct nearsightedness since fifth grade, glass, the plastic lens, contacts, bifocals I went in 2017 to Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bangkok (Asoka/Montri area). Had my natural lens removed, multi focal prescriptions lens implanted. “TaaDaa” glasses only for close up work … computer/reading. At age 77 dealing with “floaters”.

• Agree 1

I'm 51 and don't have that bad eyesight but when getting tested for new specs at a proper optician in the UK where they scan your eyes with all kinds of machines etc to check your vision I mentioned surgery so I didn't need specs. The optician said they didn't recommend it at my age due to problems that could arise and the actual difference it would make. LASIK was one treatment I mentioned.

A friend of mine got both eyes done in UK so he didn't need glasses, done a few weeks apart. He said he could see after it but it was the most painful thing he had ever experienced after surgery.

22 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

No need to go to Bangkok.  Bangkok Hospital Pattaya offer it, check their website.  Their Eye clinic is excellent 

I can't remember the name of it but there is a major hospital in Bangkok that is highly regarded for eye care/surgery etc.  Might be worth a few minutes research to see if you can identify this hospital.

On 8/20/2024 at 7:41 PM, Doctor Tom said:

My spouse and I can strongly second that.  Dr. Somchai is truly excellent.  We both had lasik with terrific results.  In my case, I was told in the US that if I had lasik I would still need to use glasses, either for close vision or distance vision.  Since the whole point for me was to ditch glasses, I didn't have it done in the US.

When I consulted with Dr, Somchai some 12 years ago, he said he thought he could do the lasik and I would be able to see both close and distant without glasses.  And, that was exactly the case.  Not having to wear glasses or struggling with uncomfortable contacts has been great.   I would suggest an appointment with Dr. Somchai to check your eyes and discuss your options.

• Like 1

WEveryone is talking about LASIC but if you're interested in progressive/multi focal lenses then Eurooptic in Royal Garden is owned by a Philippina who specializes in multi focal and progressive lenses. I don't know her last name but her first name is Maria, I have been using her for over 10 years and she has never done a bad job. I did pick up a pair of glasses from her 1 time and the lenses popped out of the frame, and I lost the lenses we were on a motor bike at the time. The very next day I went back and without batting an eye she replaced the entire set for free. 

12 hours ago, Chwooly said:

WEveryone is talking about LASIC but if you're interested in progressive/multi focal lenses then Eurooptic in Royal Garden is owned by a Philippina who specializes in multi focal and progressive lenses. I don't know her last name but her first name is Maria, I have been using her for over 10 years and she has never done a bad job. I did pick up a pair of glasses from her 1 time and the lenses popped out of the frame, and I lost the lenses we were on a motor bike at the time. The very next day I went back and without batting an eye she replaced the entire set for free. 

Why have cataract surgery, which is what you are saying,  when you don't need it?  That makes no sense to me. Leave that until and if you ever need it. 

Why have cataract IOL replacement?  To get "SuperSight" without any spectacles ever again, that's why and you can have the surgery from the age of 45 and never get cataracts.  Most just won't pay to have it done properly and have fixed focus lenses.  I had to have mine done in the middle of the pandemic and the results are fantastic and better than 20/20.  I'm 74, can read the paper specs free, use the computer, drive cars, ride motorbikes and do what I want.

Don't believe the Opticians and spectacle shop workers when they advise you not to do it.  Of course they don't want you to have the surgery because after you do, they know they'll never get another penny out of you!  All things optical have advanced a long way in the last ten years.  Yes, there's big money to be made from everything to do with the operation, that explains the advances.  But you get the benefit of never having to pay an Optician ever again.

3 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

Why have cataract IOL replacement?  To get "SuperSight" without any spectacles ever again, that's why and you can have the surgery from the age of 45 and never get cataracts.  Most just won't pay to have it done properly and have fixed focus lenses.  I had to have mine done in the middle of the pandemic and the results are fantastic and better than 20/20.  I'm 74, can read the paper specs free, use the computer, drive cars, ride motorbikes and do what I want.

Don't believe the Opticians and spectacle shop workers when they advise you not to do it.  Of course they don't want you to have the surgery because after you do, they know they'll never get another penny out of you!  All things optical have advanced a long way in the last ten years.  Yes, there's big money to be made from everything to do with the operation, that explains the advances.  But you get the benefit of never having to pay an Optician ever again.

Thank you for your positive input DiDi. I will consult dr. Somchai in the Bangkok hosital in Pattaya.

On 8/22/2024 at 11:23 AM, Doctor Tom said:

Why have cataract surgery, which is what you are saying,  when you don't need it?  That makes no sense to me. Leave that until and if you ever need it. 

No, I am talking about  multifocal or progressive eyeglasses. Not sure how you read cataract surgery in  to that? I wear multi focal as opposed to bifocal lenses. And I had them made for me at the shop I recommended

15 minutes ago, Chwooly said:

No, I am talking about  multifocal or progressive eyeglasses. Not sure how you read cataract surgery in  to that? I wear multi focal as opposed to bifocal lenses. And I had them made for me at the shop I recommended

Because the subject of the post, asked for by the OP, is regarding eye surgery.  Catch up mate 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Because the subject of the post, asked for by the OP, is regarding eye surgery.  Catch up mate 

Yea but you quoted my post, a post about eyeglasses not cataract surgery, so your post quoting mine makes about as much sense as putting a screen door on a submarine.  so there really is no reason to catch up mate

Edited by Chwooly

6 minutes ago, Chwooly said:

Yea but you quoted my post, a post about eyeglasses not cataract surgery, so your post quoting mine makes about as much sense as putting a screen door on a submarine.  so there really is no reason to catch up mate

Your post was hardly helpful to the OP who started this posting by saying he was sick of wearing glasses. 

8 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Your post was hardly helpful to the OP who started this posting by saying he was sick of wearing glasses. 

Sorry, I must have missed that part that giving an alternative option was against forum rules and your Moderator title in your profile 

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Somchai at Bkk Pat hospital. He fixed my eyes almost 8 yrs ago. Totally transformed my day to day visual interactions. He has all the modern tech machines and he is very experienced. A very decent, modest doctor. Anyone who asks my advice on eye care, it's Dr. Somchai.