How on earth do you Diet in Thailand ?

12 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Nutrition Facts

For 1 servings of thai basil pork (pad kra pao) (557g)

Nutrient Value %DV
Calories 326  
Fats 8g 10%
Saturated fats 3g 16%
Trans fats 0g  
Cholesterol 49mg 16%
Sodium 730mg 32%
Carbs 34g 12%
Net carbs 30g  
Fiber 4g 15%
Sugar 20g  
Protein 31g  

Calcium 195mg 19%
Iron 2mg 27%
Potassium 1044mg 22%
Vitamin D 0μg 0%
Vitamins and Minerals
Alpha carotene 6μg  
Beta carotene 1272μg  
Caffeine 0mg  
Choline 25mg 5%
Copper 0.3mg 31%
Fluoride 0.1μg  
Folate (B9) 110μg 27%
Lycopene 0μg  
Magnesium 63mg 15%
Manganese 1mg 46%
Niacin 1mg 8%
Pantothenic acid 1mg 10%
Phosphorus 122mg 17%
Retinol 0.2μg  
Riboflavin (B2) 0.1mg 4%
Selenium 3μg 6%
Theobromine 0mg  
Thiamine 0.1mg 9%
Vitamin A IU 2255IU  
Vitamin A 122μg 14%
Vitamin B12 0μg 0%
Vitamin B6 1mg 47%
Vitamin C 74mg 82%
Vitamin D IU 0IU  
Vitamin D2 0μg  
Vitamin D3 0μg  
Vitamin E 1mg 5%
Vitamin K 106μg 88%
Zinc 1mg 8%
Sugars
Sugar 20g  
Sucrose 2g  
Glucose 12g  
Fructose 8g  
Lactose 0.1g  
Maltose 0g  
Galactose 0.1g  
Starch 0g  
Fats
Saturated fats 3g 16%
Monounsaturated fats 2g  
Polyunsaturated fats 1g  
Trans fats 0g  
Fatty Acids
Total omega 3 0g  
Total omega 6 0g  
Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) 0g  
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0g  
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 0g  
Docosapentaenoic Acid (DPA) 0g  
Amino Acids
Alanine 0.1g  
Arginine 0.4g  
Aspartic acid 0.4g  
Cystine 0.1g  
Glutamic acid 1g  
Glycine 0.1g  
Histidine 0.1g  
Hydroxyproline 0g  
Isoleucine 0.1g  
Leucine 0.1g  
Lysine 0.1g  
Methionine 0.1g  
Phenylalanine 0.1g  
Proline 0.1g  
Serine 0.1g  
Threonine 0.1g  
Tryptophan 0.1g  
Tyrosine 0.1g  
Valine 0.1g  

How silly, sugar is sucrose.....and the other mentioned agents ending in -ose like fructose and maltose are all sugars. The mathematics are challenged. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, msbkk said:

How is your lipid profile? And you will miss out on vitamins and minerals and other nutricients.  This kind of extreme diet works but is not really healthy. And who in his right mind wants to eat only bacon, sausages and eggs?

read the william Li Diet books - can easily if really desire so with the available healthy foods.  eating processed meats at all is just like eating sugar and white flour foods.  Just look at the fat stats for developed countries - developed by food processors that take the good out of food and replace it with chemicals that harm the body!  I can only imagine someone living in a remote village that doesn't farm him/her self nor is there a good local market as good foods are available here.  One has to decide on health or live like a sloth.  Good luck

• Agree 1

Just now, newbee2022 said:

That's a bit tiny. You'll fit into Thailand with all tiny "things"😂

Just checked....5' 10".....which is a bit upsetting.....pretty damn sure I was close to 6' in my mid 20s.....oh well.....lot of stuff seems to be shrinking now.

Just now, Will B Good said:

Just checked....5' 10".....which is a bit upsetting.....pretty damn sure I was close to 6' in my mid 20s.....oh well.....lot of stuff seems to be shrinking now.

Yeah, the brain is shrinking too. Honestly!🤗

Just now, newbee2022 said:

Yeah, the brain is shrinking too. Honestly!🤗

OMG...funny...... in a very sad way...... you should say that.

Just had an MRI brain scan.....not good!!!...and there is nothing I can do about it.

44 minutes ago, retarius said:

How silly, sugar is sucrose.....and the other mentioned agents ending in -ose like fructose and maltose are all sugars. The mathematics are challenged. 

I just picked the article from the web and of course the calorie content will vary according to the quality of the ingredients and not least the chef. I myself can eat Pad Khaprao daily if I wanted to without any weight gain, but then again I exercise daily so the calorie requirement is of course somewhat high.

Felt

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

OMG...funny...... in a very sad way...... you should say that.

Just had an MRI brain scan.....not good!!!...and there is nothing I can do about it.

Sorry to hear this🥺

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, maesariang said:

Just walk. It does not work.

Actually it does, especially just after a meal.  Doesn't have to be anything intense or long, 

Helps with digestion and insulin resistance.  This guy has proved it with his CGM.   Love his content 👍

Just staying active after a munch surely helps, not matter what you're doing.   

All common sense really, whether insulin resistance or weight control ...

Edited by KhunLA

How to teach a TGF to cook healthy meals?

This thread gave me the necessary kick in the ass to improve my diet.

Buying healthy food is a PITA but doable (no 7/11, hardly anything from BigC).

But preparing food?

When I said I really, really like fish - what I got was cooked fishbones I wouldn't even give to my cat.

When I said I want vegetables I got a tasty salad - with about half a liter of sweet dressing. 

Fruit are a big no-no for Thais anyway. 

And huge portions of rice, of course - suitable for a worker in a quarry.

I cannot cook, I don't really want to criticize her cooking,  and sometimes it is difficult to flush things down the toilet. 

Any recommendations of healthy meals a Thai would recognize and willing to prepare?

On 8/22/2024 at 6:04 AM, DonniePeverley said:

Instead the volume of oil used was enough to burn a building. She then proceeds to add 20 large spoons (i literally lie to you not) of sugar, followed by endless volume of a salt called MGM. So you think that's it ... no there were more. Once finished she began to put some butter into it, a proper massive lump !!!!!

The sheer volume of salt and MSG put into the rice was astonishing.

And after that you woke up! What a bunch of overdriven BS.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Any recommendations of healthy meals a Thai would recognize and willing to prepare?

stir fry chicken and mixed veg, rice. No oil required. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, mini sweetcorn, anything really. Soy sauce or oyster sauce, anything. Add garlic and ginger sometimes

• Thanks 1

Same as in every country Worldide

Quite simply burn more calories daily than you stuff in your mouth...........

Thats it. Simple as

Edited by Chivas
  • Agree 1

The crux is you could eat a few small meals, but they could be calorie laden. 

This is about LOSING WEIGHT, not maintaining. 

Calories here aren't really counted in restaurants or anywhere. In most western countries it's actually law to display the calorie content. 

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

stir fry chicken and mixed veg, rice. No oil required. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, mini sweetcorn, anything really. Soy sauce or oyster sauce, anything. Add garlic and ginger sometimes

how can you fry something without oil?

i believe you have an unhealthy fear of fats. 

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Easy.. put all in glass bowl in the Air Fryer only need a little water

11 hours ago, Lorry said:

How to teach a TGF to cook healthy meals?

This thread gave me the necessary kick in the ass to improve my diet.

Buying healthy food is a PITA but doable (no 7/11, hardly anything from BigC).

But preparing food?

When I said I really, really like fish - what I got was cooked fishbones I wouldn't even give to my cat.

When I said I want vegetables I got a tasty salad - with about half a liter of sweet dressing. 

Fruit are a big no-no for Thais anyway. 

And huge portions of rice, of course - suitable for a worker in a quarry.

I cannot cook, I don't really want to criticize her cooking,  and sometimes it is difficult to flush things down the toilet. 

Any of the green, leafy veggies you see in markets you can stir fry in a non stick pan with just a little oil, along with chicken with skin removed, lean beef or pork. Very easy to do and there's such a variety of veggies available you won't get bored so quick. You can find low sodium soy sauce also if sodium is a concern. It's the sweetened sauces that are the problem with food, including a traditional salad. Rice isn't a problem if you use a scoop, but the locals usually give you a plateful, as this is their staple and even though diabetes runs rampant here, going without rice would be sacrilege here. You can buy fish filet in most large supermarkets, and pan fry it like you do the veggies and other meat. Just a couple minutes a side. There are countless videos on youtube about stir frying and other recipes you can show your partner.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

You can use chicken broth if you are afraid of using oil, although a tiny bit of oil in a non stick pan will give flavor and not a lot of extra calories.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

I have noticed most Thai people have become even less disciplined regarding their diets and food is just everywhere. Many people eating 4-5 small meals a day which is a recipe for disaster whilst burning around on their bikes and barely doing much activity. 

You will need to be disciplined. Keep to your activities and what you want to do in this s country. Preferably be around more focused expats or Thais. The average eating every 2 hours, drinking booze and mooching around lifestyle will make you unhealthy or into a complete slob. My prediction of the average Thai BMI in 20 years is not too rosey. Don't be scared to be an individual.

Actually eating 4-5 small meals is better than 3 if you're actually eating "small" instead of normal sized ones. Your body will have a constant source of energy and not so much that it will be stored as fat. This is what I learned, taught and have done for 50 years, and it's always worked, and my family isn't known for fast metabolisms. Booze of course is sugar, and drinking calories is the fastest way to gain extra weight. Yes, Thai people are getting larger, and this will continue for a very long time, as more and more eat western food and all the sugar drinks 7-11's carry, along with the shops. Kids are taught from a  very young age how not to eat, by parents who also don't know nutrition.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually eating 4-5 small meals is better than 3 if you're actually eating "small" instead of normal sized ones. Your body will have a constant source of energy and not so much that it will be stored as fat. This is what I learned, taught and have done for 50 years, and it's always worked, and my family isn't known for fast metabolisms. Booze of course is sugar, and drinking calories is the fastest way to gain extra weight. Yes, Thai people are getting larger, and this will continue for a very long time, as more and more eat western food and all the sugar drinks 7-11's carry, along with the shops. Kids are taught from a  very young age how not to eat, by parents who also don't know nutrition.

This idea of eating lots of small meals has largely been debunked. The research these days suggests reducing or eliminating carbs and consuming fat as your energy source. Fat is a much more stable source of energy than carbs which spike your blood sugar. And rather than eating a number of meals a day, eat a couple, preferably within a relatively small window i.e. first meal 10 AM, second at 6 PM.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

This idea of eating lots of small meals has largely been debunked. The research these days suggests reducing or eliminating carbs and consuming fat as your energy source. Fat is a much more stable source of energy than carbs which spike your blood sugar. And rather than eating a number of meals a day, eat a couple, preferably within a relatively small window i.e. first meal 10 AM, second at 6 PM.

They can debunk all they want, as opinions of dieting are too much to count. Things work for 50 years because they work, and thousands of people I've trained and given diet advice to have lost weight, and stayed lean, because of it. Of course the Keto diet works, especially if you have a lot of fat to lose, because you're starving the body of carbs.  There are side effects of staying on it too long, such as constipation, ostopenia, high cholesterol, kidney stones and fatigue. It does work for the stated reason but some people like the taste of carbs, as many popular food is high in carbs. If you aren't too far away from your preferred weight, meaning body fat percentage, eating carbs in small amounts isn't bad. It's not easy for some to stay on any particular diet if all of their lives they;ve eaten a certain way, so radical changes are best kept to those who really need to lose a lot of fat for health reasons. I've watched women all of my life skip breakfast, and they are the ones who have a hard time losing weight. You go so long without eating and you tend to overeat later in the day, when your body doesn't need so many calories like it does in the morning.

• Love It 1

The difference between fat people and thin people?

Thin people only eat when they feel hungry and stop eating when they no longer feel hungry.

Correct.

But what practical advice follows from this?

It is perverted to eat when you are not hungry,  but it means you eat for other reasons.  Which reasons, and how to eliminate them? 

The difference between fat people and thin people?

Thin people only eat when they feel hungry and stop eating when they no longer feel hungry.

Not that easy as we must learn to define "hunger", and to make the difference between "being hungry" for real, and "time to eat". And your brain is not your friend here ...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lorry said:

Correct.

But what practical advice follows from this?

It is perverted to eat when you are not hungry,  but it means you eat for other reasons.  Which reasons, and how to eliminate them? 

Oh I see.....comfort eating, anxiety, just for the taste....etc....got it.

• Thumbs Up 1