Calling UK from Thailand

I always use 00344 calling a UK landline from Thailand on AIS network. Works out about 4 or 5 baht per minute. Might be better options available but this one works for me.

People will suggest Skype etc but I am replying with a solution to the scenario you have outlined. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So do i but if i'm calling UK government departments its not possible so i've signed up to www.mytello.com where calls are really cheap like 1 bht per minute.

yes,  I think I told you about that one a while back.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still having problems with DWP.  They refuse to sort the problem via email using 'Security concerns' for not working.  They suggest snail mail or telephone calls.  Letters posted in UK (whilst I was there on holiday) never arrived.  Phone calls can last over an hour before anyone deigns to do any work.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So do i but if i'm calling UK government departments its not possible so i've signed up to www.mytello.com where calls are really cheap like 1 bht per minute.

Good call on mytello, I will check this out. normally I use skype to call landlines in the UK, Banks and the Gov departments.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, garygooner said:

Going to have to call London from Bangkok in the near future. Will be using my android phone and AIS. 

What's the best (reasonable cost) number to use?  

......... 44 20 + landline number.  

just use the mytello.com and don't worry

• Thumbs Up 1

Went to the UK for 6 weeks last year. Before leaving I wanted to set up the easiest and free way to communicate with my wife via video call. Downloaded various apps but the one that worked best with zero cost or difficulty was LINE.

Since we both had it installed on our phones already it was very familiar to use. All that was needed was a wifi hot spot for internet connection.

• Agree 1

On 8/25/2024 at 5:00 PM, Keeps said:

I always use 00344 calling a UK landline from Thailand on AIS network. Works out about 4 or 5 baht per minute. Might be better options available but this one works for me.

People will suggest Skype etc but I am replying with a solution to the scenario you have outlined. 

I don't call UK often. I have to contact a bank. 

I have ais one 2 call pre paid. I'm guessing I don't have to subscribe to a new package & I can just go ahead & call. ( I looked at mytello & they do have 1 free trial call)

10 minutes ago, garygooner said:

I don't call UK often. I have to contact a bank. 

I have ais one 2 call pre paid. I'm guessing I don't have to subscribe to a new package & I can just go ahead & call. ( I looked at mytello & they do have 1 free trial call)

I am on AIS pay as you go. I use it to make a 20-30 minute call periodically to an elderly relative in the UK. I just type in 00344 then drop the zero(0) and enter the rest of the landline number I am calling. This type of call usually costs me around 80-100 baht. No subscribing to a new package or anything.

I would make sure you have sufficient credit on your phone as you are no doubt well aware of how long you can be left hanging on trying to contact a financial institution in the UK. If you do go the free trial route with mytello I would check whether the length of call is restricted. You don't want to be hanging on and then cut off when your free minutes expire.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

OP ....   Just go to MyTello.com ....     I've been using it for years,  it's cheap as chips   !!

Cheap as chips? It depends on if you settle for Lay´s or you need Walker´s

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Cheap as chips? It depends on if you settle for Lay´s or you need Walker´s

They are actually one and the same:-

"Walkers is the brand name used in the UK and Ireland, while Lays is the brand name used in most other countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, and Australia.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Keeps said:

They are actually one and the same:-

"Walkers is the brand name used in the UK and Ireland, while Lays is the brand name used in most other countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, and Australia.

Yes, but I have seen Walker´s in Thailand as well, and when imported they are at about 120 baht per bag.

True using 0060044 prefix was 1.2 baht a minute when I called HSBC last winter from Thailand

Used to be 1 baht a minute when it was first introduced long time ago so still good value

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the replies and advice. In the end I visited my good friend's office in Bangkok as he said I could use his landline. Probably a good idea as I reached the help desk first. Dial 3 for ....

followed by ... enter dob, enter NI (numbers only) enter your reference no, and now enter your post code. I actually got through straight away at 09:05 UK time & the call lasted 15 mins, but could have been a problem with my mobile. 

Spoke to a pleasant Indian guy.