Thai wife applying for UK spouse visa but has a job she’s quitting

2 minutes ago, decline said:

apologies I meant visiter visa :sorry:

In that case, no, it is not really acceptable. She can do that if she wants to, but if the UKVI, or Border Force in UK, find out then they could cancel the visa due to a change of circumstances.  That said, if you are paying for the whole visit, then it doesn't really matter if she is working or not as long as you make it clear in the application that she is quitting her job.  The Entry Clearance Officer, however, might think she is has quit her job because she is not returning to Thailand.  Why can't she keep her job  and get a leave letter ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just to add to my previous post...they are keen to see some reason that would make her want to return to Thailand.....land, property, children, employment.

I can't see for the life of me that they would know she is finishing work unless her paychecks suddenly stopped ...say...three months ago.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Just to add to my previous post...they are keen to see some reason that would make her want to return to Thailand.....land, property, children, employment.

I can't see for the life of me that they would know she is finishing work unless her paychecks suddenly stopped ...say...three months ago.

That's right, but they don't seem to take that as very important, strangely. The Filipina had no job, no land, no nothing, no ties to Phil at all.

We basically made the argument we'd never break the immigration rules because we may wish to marry and live in the UK, so we would never have any interest in breaking immigration rules. It worked. It shouldn't. But it did. I think because we were honest and followed that lawyer's advice.

I have been married to my Thai wife for about 10 years. she has passport in my surname, her Thai id is in my name, the rental agreements are in our name, there is a financial link between my account and hers every month. I earn enough each month to live , I have money in the bank and my own house in the UK. I would be very surprised if my wife - that does not work as she does not need to - would be refused a visa if travelling back to the UK for a holiday if I needed to supply anything

15 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

She's applying for a visitor visa, as pointed out in the post you quoted.

It appears she is returning to Thailand.

To the OP. Tell her not to quit. At least not until her visa has been approved. A letter from her boss, in the visa application, saying she has a job to go back to will be a big help.

I agree with this. My friend applied for his wife a few years ago. They lied and said she was still working at a job she had left. Well guess what, they phoned the company and checked and was told she no longer worked there. She was denied and also banned for ten years. Not worth the risk.

16 hours ago, Will B Good said:

They only care that some can financially support her or she can demonstrate she can support herself.....just bang in bank statements, savings, investments etc.

We've applied about 20 times....she's been unemployed, employed about to employed, about to leave employment......never been an issue.

The main criteria that the visitor visa has to satisfy is that she has a good reason to return home. A job is a  pretty good reason with a leave letter from her boss, Also family  children, owns property in Thailand...does'nt  matter how rich the sponsor is.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I have been married to my Thai wife for about 10 years. she has passport in my surname, her Thai id is in my name, the rental agreements are in our name, there is a financial link between my account and hers every month. I earn enough each month to live , I have money in the bank and my own house in the UK. I would be very surprised if my wife - that does not work as she does not need to - would be refused a visa if travelling back to the UK for a holiday if I needed to supply anything

I would say that you have all bases covered.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:32 AM, decline said:

Is this acceptable to apply when she’s still employed but planning to quit?

Shes already had one visit with no issues but was unemployed at the time.

The visa has nothing to do with her work. It's to do with you and your finances.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2024 at 8:38 AM, Tony M said:

Whether she is employed or not is irrelevant.

Employment is a reflection on character and will always have some relevance.

In the case of a spouse visa, quitting could be seen as a natural progression and have little bearing on the matter.

In the case of a visitor visa, employment is a significant plus in respect of reason to return. Quitting during application could be taken the wong way and rather inadviseable.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, wavodavo said:

The main criteria that the visitor visa has to satisfy is that she has a good reason to return home. A job is a  pretty good reason with a leave letter from her boss, Also family  children, owns property in Thailand...does'nt  matter how rich the sponsor is.

Exactly. The visa is granted from an assessment based on the information provided and the perception will vary quite significantly with circumstances. 

Wife vs GF, young vs old, newly married or long term, assets or not, employed or not, etc etc.

One thing you can be sure of, errors and omissions are extremely risky.

This is my impression/opinion of what I have read from credible sources.

USA Tourist Visa in Thailand application they Require Strong evidence that you have Strong Ties to Thailand and will most likely return.

Most of your Close family living in Thailand, A Job or Business, a verified Bank account statement like we get for immigration might help, A travel history of recent (past couple years) Passport Stamps showing Entry/Exit in short duration and returning to Thailand.  Maybe a Spouse or Boyfriend who is and has a history of being a Resident of Thailand.

Lastly the ability to Answer Interview Questions in Person convincingly, without delay, and with detailed information if requested.

4 hours ago, wavodavo said:

Cheers...... added a second post almost identical to your comments...

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Employment is a reflection on character and will always have some relevance.

In the case of a spouse visa, quitting could be seen as a natural progression and have little bearing on the matter.

In the case of a visitor visa, employment is a significant plus in respect of reason to return. Quitting during application could be taken the wong way and rather inadviseable.

You have taken that comment totally out of context, and it should be considered as part of the whole response, the greater picture of a visit application.  I'm sure other readers recognised the correct meaning of that sentence

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, arick said:

The visa has nothing to do with her work. It's to do with you and your finances.

5 hours ago, arick said:

Be sure the bank statement shows funds on the last transaction of your the statement and hers. Has to be over the amount of jobseekers allowance. U less changed.

You don't know much about UK visa applications, do you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J Branche said:

USA Tourist Visa in Thailand application they Require Strong evidence that you have Strong Ties to Thailand and will most likely return.

Most of your Close family living in Thailand, A Job or Business, a verified Bank account statement like we get for immigration might help, A travel history of recent (past couple years) Passport Stamps showing Entry/Exit in short duration and returning to Thailand.  Maybe a Spouse or Boyfriend who is and has a history of being a Resident of Thailand.

Lastly the ability to Answer Interview Questions in Person convincingly, without delay, and with detailed information if requested.

This thread is about a UK visa, not US.  There is no in-person interview for a UK visa.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, J Branche said:

UKVI state several times during the application not to send any documentation they don't ask for. 

No interviews are involved.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Cameroni said:

With UK immigration it's important to always be honest. I went to see a lawyer at a top UK law firm about bringing my Filipina into the UK, we had the option to rely on somewhat massaged employment documents, but the lawyer counselled against it. He said just tell the truth. Even though she had no job at all it was not a problem and that lawyer was right, though he said it  could have gone either way.

She got the visa and was able to come into the UK. Of course she turned out to be a cheating skank, so that could be a much bigger problem.

They usually are.

Mine was too.

She lied more than Boris Johnson ever could.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

They usually are.

Mine was too.

She lied more than Boris Johnson ever could.

If anyone wants to learn about lying, they should get a Filipina girlfriend. It's no exaggeration to say that Filipinas are the most unscrupulous liars you will ever have the misfortune to meet.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

In a relationship with my Thai GF for 4 years.  We decided to live together in Cambodia so she quit her job with H&M fashion and we both have 12 month visas.  I pay all expenses for her and her family in Thailand who she visits regularly.  This arrangement works well for both of us with the distance meaning no unexpected family visits or interference although maintaining almost daily video calls.  Wanted her to accompany me to the UK to meet my family and see some of the South Coast.  Chose  July 2024 due to the warmer weather.  Followed the UK visa application process to the letter, as well as including additional documentation to evidence that everything was genuine and above board.  I also loaded her bank accounts to show a substantial amount of money.  

Result; rejected on the basis that she did not have a job, no income and no family ties to Thailand despite Thai bank accounts, house and land titles et al!  Appeal said the same thing and, additionally, that further applications would likely also be rejected. 

Apparently the Home Office employ people who do not think that monthly deposits from me to her Thai bank accounts, spending in Thailand, and that having house and land, as well as family in Thailand,  is a reason for her to stay in UK, which neither of us want! 

Not a happy teddy so was in the process of writing to the Minister but timed because of the election.  I will probably re-apply from Thailand next year.