Concrete Driveway Resurfacing

chiang mai

Had a new concrete driveway laid two years ago, 50 square meters. Not a great job as it turns out, a very hot day and too much water in the concrete (delivered) and probably not an ideal cement ratio. The effect is what I understand to be called spalling, the top layer is flaking off and there are pits and pin holes all over the place. 

Resurfacing is not possible since there is an electric gate rail at the bottom of the slab and a mating slab at the top, it's not realistic to absorb the additional depth of concrete that would be required to resurface or tile. 

We have the undercoat and top coat paints but would like to smooth the surface before painting, if possible. A concrete grinding/levelling machine might be an option but the driveway is slopped some 15 degrees.

Ideas?

TIA

stamped cement.  but that adds about 5cm to the heighth.

tiles.  but that will add heighth to it too.

lots of videos on youtube for how to resurface a concrete driveway.

1 hour ago, Wanderer555 said:

Can you share a few pictures to show the complete area with sloping driveway and the damaged areas?

The sun is overhead at present, when it gets arounds 4pm I'll take a couple more and perhaps can see the surface more clearly.

IMG_20240830_132623.thumb.jpg.76bd5941e3e4f0967fe7aa3406aee106.jpg

1 hour ago, rwill said:

stamped cement.  but that adds about 5cm to the heighth.

tiles.  but that will add heighth to it too.

lots of videos on youtube for how to resurface a concrete driveway.

I don't have 5cms to play with, unfortunately, it's either make this work or replace.

50 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

I wonder if the paint will provide the structural strength the concrete is lacking or will the concrete continue to deteriorate after painting.

I'm pretty certain it will, the slab itself is structural sound and 18 inches thick at one end, 6 inches at the road end plus extensive rebar inside.

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Is that really thick grey 'plastic paint' an option? You see ads of people spreading it as opposed to painting it.......we have similar problem.

We already have driveway/traffic paint and the undercoat. Epoxy paint is what you refer to but it's not very good for outside because of UV. We had engineers from SIKA come take a look and they strongly advised against epoxy paint outdoors, The purpose of their visit was because I was looking for a  patching product to fill small pin holes etc. They said just go ahead and paint it as is and didn't have a solution for a smoother surface apart from resurfacing, which is not possible because of the height. We didn't have the discussion about concrete grinding because they were too busy trying to sell me their products.

From what I've read, a concrete grinder will remove about one sixteenth in a single pass and 50 square meters should take about 2 hours.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

We already have driveway/traffic paint and the undercoat. Epoxy paint is what you refer to but it's not very good for outside because of UV. We had engineers from SIKA come take a look and they strongly advised against epoxy paint outdoors, The purpose of their visit was because I was looking for a  patching product to fill small pin holes etc. They said just go ahead and paint it as is and didn't have a solution for a smoother surface apart from resurfacing, which is not possible because of the height. We didn't have the discussion about concrete grinding because they were too busy trying to sell me their products.

From what I've read, a concrete grinder will remove about one sixteenth in a single pass and 50 square meters should take about 2 hours.

Oh brilliant....thanks for that....really appreciated.

24 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Oh brilliant....thanks for that....really appreciated.

Sissons paint in Bangkok is a paint factory but the brand is not well known. They have a product similar to what you describe, specifically for outside use but it MUST be a flat surface. They have a handy video on their website showing how it's applied using an undercoat, a gap filler layer and a top coat, all using a spreader rather than a brush or roller.

4 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Sissons paint in Bangkok is a paint factory but the brand is not well known. They have a product similar to what you describe, specifically for outside use but it MUST be a flat surface. They have a handy video on their website showing how it's applied using an undercoat, a gap filler layer and a top coat, all using a spreader rather than a brush or roller.

Cheers.....flat is a killer.....the driveway......and there's lots of it....was laid by the 'locals'...Even got their footprints in places....!!!

• Like 1

Be advised that smooth concrete that is painted is very slippery when it is wet, and stay wet much longer than raw concrete. 

18 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

It must be just flat, or flat and level? 

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Be advised that smooth concrete that is painted is very slippery when it is wet, and stay wet much longer than raw concrete. 

Is it possible to 'throw in' sand, fine gravel, small stones to the mix? Is that a thing?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

One inexpensive, reasonably easy way to smooth and brighten up concrete is to first pressure-wash it, and while it is still wet, "paint" it with cement slurry. 

Does that adhere quite well???

Just now, Will B Good said:

Is it possible to 'throw in' sand, fine gravel, small stones to the mix? Is that a thing?

You can add an aggregate like ground walnut shells to some paints. You can throw sand on wet paint and then paint over it as well, but them it's a PITA to sweep, and marks up easy. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Does that adhere quite well???

It's like paint in that it sticks extremely well if the surface is clean. Cures-out nice as well. 

To be clear, cement, not mortar. 

• Agree 1

Tile it.

Make sure you use proven outdoor tile layers.

There is a tool out there called a scabbler that can take an inch or so off the level of your concrete drive.

Edited by Kinok Farang
Spelin mistace

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Cheers.....flat is a killer.....the driveway......and there's lots of it....was laid by the 'locals'...Even got their footprints in places....!!!

Do you pay extra for the footprints or were they free. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

level

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

good luck finding the grinder... if you manage finding it good luck renting it.

there are [unfortunately] no places to rent tools here. you have to buy what you need. IFFFFF you find a place to rent please post here... prolly help a lot of ppl

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

good luck finding the grinder... if you manage finding it good luck renting it.

there are [unfortunately] no places to rent tools here. you have to buy what you need. IFFFFF you find a place to rent please post here... prolly help a lot of ppl

Not so. There's a tool rental place in CM on the ring road and they have one for rent.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Not so. There's a tool rental place in CM on the ring road and they have one for rent.

good for you. i never found any be it in bkk, pattaya or rayong. thanks for sharing where... maybe others will benefit

• Like 1

From the pictures, it looks like your driveway is in much better shape than many of the roads in LOS!

Dunno why you want to "fix" it, looks perfect for the job of driving up and down it!

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

From the pictures, it looks like your driveway is in much better shape than many of the roads in LOS!

Dunno why you want to "fix" it, looks perfect for the job of driving up and down it!

I want to paint it but need a stable surface first.

• Thumbs Up 1