Thai Department Warns Tourists Against Buying Fake Driving Licences

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The scammers use 'proxy' accounts that are not linked to them... 

i.e. the buy an 'bank account' off a local Moto-taxi guy for 500 baht / 1000 baht etc... then use that to receive money into their scam. 

The issue of course, is that the person who sold his account claims no knowledge, they're just a poor...  they can't really be charged - this then enables the scammers to continue obtaining 'proxy' accounts.

This is the 'base' for all such scams - no scammers use their real bank accounts. 

Its also an major issue with Thai ID fraud. 

100% agree - If authorities could target loads of the scammers it would clean up the country a lot. 

But, its a lot of effort and one thing the Thai BiB are not known for, is their effort.

Strange ....

When somebody make a post or send an SMS about the royalty, they have the culpritt arrested with a few hours and send to jail for 18 years.
When somebody makes a scam like this, putting several Thai people in misery, he/she can keep the scam up for years without any official lifting a finger for this.
Thailand, stop being the country that you are known for by the rest of the world and start to put your act together.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Strange ....

When somebody make a post or send an SMS about the royalty, they have the culpritt arrested with a few hours and send to jail for 18 years.
When somebody makes a scam like this, putting several Thai people in misery, he/she can keep the scam up for years without any official lifting a finger for this.
Thailand, stop being the country that you are known for by the rest of the world and start to put your act together.

You're very conveniently mixing your straw-man fallacy with your gaslighting here...   

You've distorted context and facts into a generalisation to very poorly make your point.

Obviosly thought caught for Les Majeste have been caught through making comments of directly attributable to themselves and are easily identifiable. 

Thats quite different to a 'burner' account and comms - the web of which takes significantly more effort to 'dig through'...   Thought I do agree that a lot more can be done to deal with scammers...

... but its time consuming. 

Wife was scammed on FB market place - I considered pulling some strings to get them caught, but even then we can't be 100% sure of catching the right person if they keep rejecting it - and then what will we do ? what penalty would there be for ripping us off by a few thousand baht ???

.... and thats the problem - its just not worth it in the end... Though, more serious cases really should be dealt with more urgently and seriously. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

what penalty would there be for ripping us off by a few thousand baht ???

In my opinions, reading the dl scam on facesh&t, Instagram and many other social media outlets, we are talking here of a multi million scam.

Second, this is not a scam selling a common thing but a scam that affect the government and the national security.

Different subject.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You're very conveniently mixing your straw-man fallacy with your gaslighting here...   

You've distorted context and facts into a generalisation to very poorly make your point.

Obviosly thought caught for Les Majeste have been caught through making comments of directly attributable to themselves and are easily identifiable. 

Thats quite different to a 'burner' account and comms - the web of which takes significantly more effort to 'dig through'...   Thought I do agree that a lot more can be done to deal with scammers...

... but its time consuming. 

Wife was scammed on FB market place - I considered pulling some strings to get them caught, but even then we can't be 100% sure of catching the right person if they keep rejecting it - and then what will we do ? what penalty would there be for ripping us off by a few thousand baht ???

.... and thats the problem - its just not worth it in the end... Though, more serious cases really should be dealt with more urgently and seriously. 

Seems that somebody outside this forum has read my thread:

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wife was scammed on FB market place - I considered pulling some strings to get them caught

"Do you know who i am" - one of them are you Richard?

sad....

Does the Thai department also advise tourists to go through the approved process to get legitimate licenses?   Oh yeah, good luck getting the required Certificate of Residence tourists!

First my definitions

• FAKE license. One produced by fraudsters, such as on a card maker machine like one would have in a back-alley room 
  • REAL license. Comes from the Land Transport office and is registered on official databases

A real license theoretically may be acquired by corrupt means. Meaning  without proper training and qualification exams. All I know for sure is in Cxxxxx xai you can pay an agent to ”cut the line” and get expedited service. One still must attend the office, produce the required documents including medical and take the tests and photos.

Edited by Captain Monday

On 9/2/2024 at 1:00 PM, Confuscious said:

How difficult is it for the OFFICIALS to arrest these scammers on Facebook?
They even give their Bank account number.
The DL department should get their act together and start to go after these scammers instead of warning tourists.

Not difficult per se, but perhaps unfortunate, since those selling licenses are likely senior members of the department, or at least connected to members of the department.

• Agree 1