The Thai restaurant service experience

Everyman

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

You can't expect too much they're simple people and they don't do communication like you would expect. Try to put it out your mind if you can.

Thai restaurant service runs a little differently from what we are used to and it runs in Thai. I tend to start from the viewpoint that I am the foreigner and I am responsible for facilitating the event. It is not that hard once you realize that they want you to get your lunch and pay up just as much as you do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Thai restaurant service runs a little differently from what we are used to and it runs in Thai. I tend to start from the viewpoint that I am the foreigner and I am responsible for facilitating the event. It is not that hard once you realize that they want you to get your lunch and pay up just as much as you do.

I'm totally ok with it now but if I start comparing to how it works in America it's pretty awkward. Like you say take for what it is and move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Choose better restaurants.  Although, more likely .... try talking to the staff, as all your issues are easily resolved with a bit of communication.  

I think it's objectively true that most restaurants that are even big enough to have staff take orders are not going to communicate much if it all when taking orders. Maybe in expensive restaurants in the city it's different but the norm is the girl walks up, says nothing and writes down what you say and maybe even says nothing and walks away. That's just how they are.

I actually find it more annoying in America now where they the staff talks so much and comes to the table and asks questions. Honestly they're too trying to hard to be friendly. I guess I appreciate the effort but it gets annoying.

• Sad 1

You can't make such blanket statements, it completely depends what restaurant you go to.

There's very well run restaurants like Idin Klin Krog, where you just get up, and they have already have your bill ready when you arrive at the till. Same with Sukishi.

Then there's uber-well run restaurants like Red Box or Chef's House in Chiang Mai, where service is out of this world excellent, because you pay 15000 Baht for two people.

Then there's the run of the mill places where the girl walks up, walks away, but makes sure to repeat the order carefully.

The most obvious issue, that does repeat, is that meals do not come at the same time, but whenever they're ready. So organization is often off. That's the only thing I find can be improved, well and the English of course.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Then there's uber-well run restaurants like Red Box or Chef's House in Chiang Mai, where service is out of this world excellent, because you pay 15000 Baht for two people.

OMG that really exists? 15k baht for food anywhere in Thailand is wild but I didn't expect this in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

It's almost funny when some people compare their experiences in Thailand with "back home".

Do you speak fluent Thai? Because at home you and the waiter are likely native in whatever language you talk to each other. 

And obviously there are huge differences if you go to a street "restaurant", maybe an international burger chain, a good local restaurant, a restaurant in an international hotel, etc.

I like it when I am in an expensive restaurant, and they serve me just the way I want. And obviously I have to pay for that kind of service.

I am also used to local restaurants sometimes with communication problems and things like that. Often things are not perfect. I also don't expect that they are perfect. And often things are just different. IMHO it happens very seldom that someone deliberately provides bad service. Often it is just different and not so professional. Which is not really surprising in a foreign country with a foreign language and people who receive minimum salaries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

1. Arrive at the restaurant and are either ignored or ordered to sit down.

2. Presented a menu and expected to “MAKE UP YOUR MIND RIGHT NOW AND ORDER IMMEDIATELY OH MY BUDDHA WHY ARE YOU TAKING SO LONG.”

3. Staff run off as soon as you order one thing. So you have to get up and chase after them to them the rest of your order. (in the case of western food)

4. Staff deliver your food requiring that you acknowledge them and interrupting your conversation to do so but then run away like the devil himself is chasing them.

5. Staff disappear or engage in a very noisy conversation with the fellow staff and never check on anything.

6. You could wait all day for them to bring your bill but they never will. You have to stand up like you are going to leave. 

I know someone will say “oh no Thailand is not like that at all.” sorry. i don’t believe you. 

someone will say “oh they’re not professional staff in Thailand they’re just helping out.” really? more like they don’t care are you are making excuses for them. 

Go to a more upmarket place the next time.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Go to a more upmarket place the next time.

why do you always reduce things to their lowest common denominator, frits?

I can tell you from personal experience that it matters not what kind of establishment you visit in Thailand. The service is very rarely better than just OK..

bob.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

happens to me all the time!

Now go on, tell me it's all my fault..

bob.

OK: it is your fault. We are always welcomed. We are clear in our orders, fair with the staff, and pay our tabs, maybe with a little extra. We rarely have serious service issues and when we do, we work it out politely and give them time to fix it.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, cjinchiangrai said:

OK: it is your fault. We are always welcomed. We are clear in our orders, fair with the staff, and pay our tabs, maybe with a little extra. We rarely have serious service issues and when we do, we work it out politely and give them time to fix it.

fair with the staff??

what are you on about!!

bob.

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's almost funny when some people compare their experiences in Thailand with "back home".

so many better things to waste your energy getting angry about like getting hit by cars and engulfed in smoke.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I just let my wife deal with people when we are in thailand. Couldnt imagine still being single there and having to put up with that bull<deleted>

Edited by mdr224
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

fair with the staff??

what are you on about!!

bob.

It is a team effort, The staff has a job to do in taking and delivering orders. We need to be clear on what we want and give them time to do it without interrupting them. Nobody is deliberately trying to sabotage your meal, on your first visit.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Everyman said:

6. You could wait all day for them to bring your bill but they never will. You have to stand up like you are going to leave.

You don't have a clue. Your post is quite foolish.

Go to lunch or dinner w/ Thais a few times and observe how it's done.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1