Petrol Station Scam in Bang Rakam Caught on Video, Goes Viral

snoop1130

thailand-gas-station.jpg

A petrol station in Bang Rakam district, Phitsanulok province, is under scrutiny after an employee allegedly attempted to charge a customer without dispensing any fuel. The incident was captured on video and rapidly gained attention on social media.

The video, shared by a customer on the Facebook page "อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทริน์ part 7," showcases the moment the customer confronted the employee. According to the customer's account, the worker inserted the nozzle into the car but did not dispense any petrol. Instead, he took a seat and later returned with a bottle of water, ready to collect payment.

As the customer realised no fuel had been dispensed, he confronted the employee, who appeared surprised and flustered. "You haven’t even pumped any petrol for me yet, kid. This is a joke," the customer can be heard saying in the video.

The employee then pumped the petrol after being confronted. Upon questioning, he claimed the pump had malfunctioned, causing the issue. The customer, sceptical but in a hurry, acknowledged the explanation before leaving.

The incident, occurring near the Bang Rakam River bridge, has sparked widespread concern among social media users. Many expressed fears of similar experiences at other stations and called for stringent oversight and accountability measures.

The video quickly went viral, prompting numerous comments and discussions about the integrity of service at petrol stations. While the employee’s explanation of a pump malfunction might seem possible, it has done little to ease the public's concerns.

With the surging attention, many are urging petrol stations to implement better training and monitoring systems to ensure such incidents do not recur, thereby protecting customers from potential scams.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-04

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If it doesn't pump then it would show zero on the price & liter gauge. I always check.

They often ask you to turn off your car when pumping gas - so yo don't see the gauge increase.

Its only after you turn on the engine again and wait for the gauge to recognise the increase in fuel or not, that its possible to tell - by which time many have driven off and not looked.

One of my previous cars used to take about 60 seconds for the 'fuel needle' to start increasing.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They often ask you to turn off your car when pumping gas - so yo don't see the gauge increase.

Its only after you turn on the engine again and wait for the gauge to recognise the increase in fuel or not, that its possible to tell - by which time many have driven off and not looked.

One of my previous cars used to take about 60 seconds for the 'fuel needle' to start increasing.

I was talking about the Gauge on the pump Doh !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I was talking about the Gauge on the pump Doh !

Ah.. that then..

Do you actually get out and look at the gauge move as they pump the petrol ??

Its not something I ever look at... I just check the gauge is zero before they start...  then get caught in something else (chatting with my Wife or Son), check an e-mail etc..   then we get handed a bill... 

I guess I'm prime target for this sort of scam, but I think I'd also notice quickly when turning on the engine (if I'd turned it of, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't - it depends how hot it is outside and if asked by the attendant).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

This is too stupid to be a scam. I believe it is honest mistake. My wife always pays witj credit card. How could this scam possibly work? 

Not everyone pays with a credit card...  so they can keep the cash difference (if pulling a scam).

IF this was an accident, then surely the operator would have noticed that no petrol had 'pumped' because there was no charge on the pump readout.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

This is too stupid to be a scam. I believe it is honest mistake. My wife always pays witj credit card. How could this scam possibly work? 

It's one scam that stands an almost 100% likelihood of being noticed.  Most people check their petrol gauge as soon as they drive away, and even if they don't notice for a while, they're going to notice pretty soon.  (Nobody goes to put a small amount of petrol into a nearly full tank.)

Even if the attendant denied it (where's the petrol then?), the customer could complain and the management could check CCTV.

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

If it doesn't pump then it would show zero on the price & liter gauge. I always check.

Some sit in their car and cannot be bothered to check.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I doubt it was a scam. The kid simply put it in, not zeroed, when came back showed the previous reading. Thais tend to refuel when it’s almost empty so not putting any fuel will be noticed. Fuel scams involve putting some in so the customer doesn’t know. Furthermore  if not paying cash which most Thais do means money goes into account not the kid. Me thinks genuine MISUNDERSTANDING. 

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you deserve it ??

Are you suggesting that all victims of scams now deserve being scammed ?

But first of all... who gets out of their car at a gas station in Thailand ???? - I never have.

I always do! I never sit in the car like some lazy, entitled guy.  I get out, chat to the pump attendant, count my wheels, that sort of thing....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I always do! I never sit in the car like some lazy, entitled guy.  I get out, chat to the pump attendant, count my wheels, that sort of thing....

I am the lazy guy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Some sit in their car and cannot be bothered to check.

Ever since one was just about to put diesel in my car instead of E20, I now always look back at the pump, but my filler is on the drivers side so easier to see. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have been driving in Thailand since 2001 and I have never been asked to turn my engine off at the pumps.

14 hours ago, Jerzy Swirski said:

If you don't get out of your car and watch the gauge go from zero to whatever you ordered then you deserve to be scammed.

Also always check your change.  I have been short changed twice this year.

I was short changed in Udon Thani when paying with a 1000 bht not they gave me 100 bht less change than it should have been.It was a common scam too.

Edited by findlay13

The other trick is to not reset after the previous customer pays. So it starts at 600 Baht or whatever instead of zero.

I got caught this way once in Wang Noi. Needed 1/3 tank to fill it up which is about 700 Baht. The bill was 1800. 

I pay by fuel card and didn't check until the next day. I always look over and check before they start pumping now.

Smaller scale in Patong, Phuket. They'd always stop it at an uneven amount like 132 Baht. Nobody has the 2 Baht so they pay with 140 and then they say they have no change. Saw them do this to 4 bikes before mine and then mine. Soon adds up at a busy station.   

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess I'm prime target for this sort of scam, but I think I'd also notice quickly when turning on the engine (if I'd turned it of, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't - it depends how hot it is outside and if asked by the attendant).

Leaving an engine turned on while filling up is a safety risk. It means more of the electrical circuits in your car are active, Petrol fumes and a short anywhere are not a good combination.

As our EV friends never tire of reminding us, an ICE fire is 60 times more likely to happen than in an EV.

31 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I have been driving in Thailand since 2001 and I have never been asked to turn my engine off at the pumps

ONCE in 13 years. Recently.

And that was obviously a young intern.

The funny fact is: it's a rule, engine off, mobile off.

But we are in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Smaller scale in Patong, Phuket. They'd always stop it at an uneven amount like 132 Baht.

At the PTT stations I usually have the opposite problem.

If the pump stops at an odd amount they will try to stuff more fuel in.

Sometimes so much that it runs off the filler cap. Annoying.

Often I don't ask for fill up (tem tang) but ask for 1000 Baht or whatever my estimate is.

Edited by KhunBENQ