Saving a Dmax 4JJ1 rebuild cost

at15

I am considering rebuilding my 2005 3.0 4JJ1 Dmax, complete engine rebuild. Pistons, rings, bearings, replacing all internal parts, gaskets etc and also 4 injectors. My turbo is ok just a rebuild kit for it. I was quoted approximately 60,000 baht. Is this a good price and do you think its worth it? Truck is a manual and has 273k on it and is in good shape otherwise.

Edited by at15

12 hours ago, johng said:

What's the problem with the engine that  you think it needs a complete rebuild  @ 273,000 KMs ?

Engine shaking pretty bad, low power, injectors gummed up, turbo not working. I am not really sure but , its a very good diesel mechanic and he suggested to remove the motor and completely rebuild it.

• Haha 1

Sounds to me that  its not firing on all cylinders   perhaps you could get away with a cheaper  top end overhaul  without removing the whole engine,have they/you checked for  compression  in all cylinders  clean the old injectors   makes sure there is no coolant leak due to a possible head gasket leak ?

60,000  for a "real" complete engine removal overhaul and refit  I think is reasonable maybe a bit on the high side...its a lot of work  but labour and parts are cheap here in Thailand.

there is an old thread here  perhaps one of the participants have more experience at this (as I have none 😋)

Thanks John I went with a rebuild. I was thinking maybe second hand engine but hard to find a decent 2005 nowadays. Everything is just so ragged out and beaten on. Rebuild is basically the only thing i can trust to go another 300k

1725426553005.jpg

1725345632712.jpg

1725426555365.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the photos internals looks nice and clean.

Good luck with the rebuild  hope they do a good job  and let us know hows it works out.

Here's how my 23 year old Toyota Soluna    looked like while doing a timing belt change...at god knows how many kilometres  as the  "mileometer"  is stuck at about 260,000 kms

image.thumb.png.e8fc9efc8f5add211ebabc4ebf1182c8.png