Can you defend yourself?

1 minute ago, jvs said:

I trained and taught martial  arts when i was young.

Never had to use it in a fight and to be honest i was always scared to get into a fight.

In training i never cared if i got hurt or not but i did walk away on purpose a few times when i knew i would get into a fight if i stayed around.

Eighty % of martial arts is having enough air to finish the job.

I could still fight now,for about twenty seconds then i would be out of gas.

Exactly, and the more knownledge and experience you have with combat sports and unexpected violence, the more you avoid it. It's not worth it, and what do we need to prove. Pride and stupidity is the real problem

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Probably not, too old and slow. The best advice I got from my jui-jutsu instructor was - walk away.

While I would most probably lose, I might do serious damage. I know all the weak spots.

You can't even spell it correctly.  Perhaps you dreamed the advice from your "instructor."

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Hummin said:

meet someone faster, stronger and more crazy than yourself.

I ended up facing someone like that last few months in UK...ended up chasing him through my local park at the end after a fight.

There is no substitute for a dash of fury.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

I ended up facing someone like that last few months in UK...ended up chasing him through my local park at the end after a fight.

There is no substitute for a dash of fury.

If not being physical threatenend I prefer to back off. I can defend myself, but would not chase anyone, especially in Thailand. 

Working as security in my younger days, I learned how quickly a situation under controll could suddenly turn on me as a security where bypassers especially the drunk ones, woud intervene. I have seen this happens so quick in Thailand, where one drunk tourist have an argument in the street, ans suddenly 4-5 others jumps in and kick the <deleted> out of the "stupid" foreigner. 

24 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

You can't even spell it correctly.  Perhaps you dreamed the advice from your "instructor."

I have always had trouble with that spelling.

My instructor was the reigning Southern Pacific Open Champion. He said I had reached brown belt level.

I suppose there are always people who take cheap shots. I'd say you're the kind of guy that would sneak up behind someone. A coward puncher.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

one problem with self-defense is if you TOO good at it, you might kill the other person.

then you still have to defend yourself in court that it was self-defense or you may be charged with manslaughter. 

What's the saying

Better to be judged by 6 ....than carried by 6

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have always had trouble with that spelling.

My instructor was the reigning Southern Pacific Open Champion. He said I had reached brown belt level.

I suppose there are always people who take cheap shots. I'd say you're the kind of guy that would sneak up behind someone. A coward puncher.

Sounds a bit homophobic Laccesist 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

one problem with self-defense is if you TOO good at it, you might kill the other person.

then you still have to defend yourself in court that it was self-defense or you may be charged with manslaughter. 

The better you get at it, the less you accidentally harm other people, and even better you stay out of trouble because you know better.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Dan O said:

I'm not buying your story but if it makes you feel tough you go with that 

I don't care whether you buy it or not, just saying that fighting is not an option if at all possible.  I am glad I learned it early in life as it has made it eary to avoid any repetitive activity.

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Sounds a bit homophobic Laccesist 

Quite possibly it does to you, because you have more phobias than a fly-blown sheep has maggots.

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Keep your hands in your pocket with a key between your fingers.  When they come to attack you, jab their eyeball with the key.

How many times have you done that, then?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

The testosterone is too high here.  I read in one response that the true measure of a man is how many noses he breaks.  Animals. 

The accurate measure of a man is whether he can deescalate the situation at hand and walk away unscathed.  Again, many of you are animals.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gobbler said:

The accurate measure of a man is whether he can deescalate the situation at hand and walk away unscathed.  Again, many of you are animals.

Quite right, but they're just pretending to be animals because that is so easy from a keyboard and they like to admire their own "hardman" claims!

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You need to take note, your constant badgering and antagonizing is not welcome here. 

Badgering is a form of harassment, this drives people to react with hostility. 

You need to change your ways. 

You need to stop giving other members' inappropriate directions, you are in no position to decide who, or what, "is welcome" here.   My responding to comments on a public forum with content that you do not like (or reporting offensive insults) is not "antagonising", "badgering", "harassment" or "hostility".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2024 at 11:34 PM, georgegeorgia said:

But the question is ,are you confident enough to be able to defend yourself if some drunk grabbed you ?

Surely the question is should you defend yourself? 

Unless it's a sustained attack, it's quite likely that any fighting back will end up with a mob of Thais attacking you or you being charged with a crime.

I carry 1 or 2 tactical pens.  They are dirt cheap on Lazada.  It's a defensive pen, not a weapon.  It will split your skull or cut your face into ribbons. 

In America, for 40 years, I carried a gun.  When you carry a lethal weapon like a gun the last thing you want is to have to use it. 

This is more relevant today.  The likelihood of you being charged and the killer not being charged is very high with all the liberal ass***les prosecutors who will take you through the legal system rather the scumbag. 

I'm glad I live here.

21 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Only cowards use weapons, and a knuckle duster is a weapon.

I'm a natural born weapon....      I don't even have to flush my own toilet, I just scare the s#!£ out of it....

...  they named a street after me in my home town... but they had to revert back to the original name because no one crosses me and lives !!...    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Surely the question is should you defend yourself? 

Unless it's a sustained attack, it's quite likely that any fighting back will end up with a mob of Thais attacking you or you being charged with a crime.

It's also better than being permanently disabled. This is a choice you have to make in a split second. 

I was attacked at my condo by another American.  He and his family were Airbnb. He eavesdropped on a conversation I had on my watch in the pool.  He was at least 100 pounds more than me, and made a big show. 

In a split second, he jumped into the pool and approached me.  I was holding two tactical pens under the water line. 

• No witnesses - his wife
  • No CCTV cameras
  • 8 PM - few around.

So what do I do? I could have turned that area of the pool bloody. He was all blunder and bull*#*# until he turned to walk away, and then he spit in my face. 

Liberal Antifa type. 

I did nothing. 

I'm sure he went back to America with his wife and kid and his black clothing and resumed his Antifa crap. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Gobbler said:

In a split second, he jumped into the pool and approached me.  I was holding two tactical pens under the water line. 

When entering the pool... you openely carried two tactical pens in... or were they concealed in your anoos ?

Just now, Ralf001 said:

When entering the pool... you openely carried two tactical pens in... or were they concealed in your anoos ?

Concealed.  They also come in handy if you need to write something. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You go swimming with 'tactical pens' just in case ????  

You put insurance on your car "just in case." The same goes for health insurance. Yes, I carry them just in case.  

Perhaps you would like to see the photos of my X wife in the hospital with a broken nose also done here where I live. 

Edited by Gobbler