How much time do you spend ironing your clothes...in Thailand?

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Mostly because....

I would not wish to impose upon them....to much....

You know...we live in a new age...

Locals that live nearby us are no longer to be considered peasants at our beck and call....

This is why.

OMG, total over reaction, who said they are peasants? Who said they are at our beck and call? Impose on them, a bit condescending.

Wake up to reality, cost of living has gone up in Thailand, people are struggling financially, someone may welcome the extra income, local ironing shops cater for Thai's and surprisingly any other nationality that wish to use their services, it's called a business.

The local ironing shop I have used for the past 7 years has only one farang (me) using their service, all the others are Thai’s.

Zero, nothing the Thai wife or I wear ever gets ironed. She irons quite a few things used in her homestay business but that's it. Even when I was working and we lived in Singapore, Dubai, Brisbane and Phoenix I always had my clothes fully laundered externally. Back then she would iron a few items of her own.

On 9/8/2024 at 8:16 AM, KannikaP said:

In MY family, Monday was always washing day. I do ablutions every morning, and I do not need any spiritual cleansing as I only drink wine or beer.

But when do you cleanse your mind if all the dirty thoughts you have about the pretty s that live near you

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

OMG, total over reaction, who said they are peasants? Who said they are at our beck and call? Impose on them, a bit condescending.

Wake up to reality, cost of living has gone up in Thailand, people are struggling financially, someone may welcome the extra income, local ironing shops cater for Thai's and surprisingly any other nationality that wish to use their services, it's called a business.

The local ironing shop I have used for the past 7 years has only one farang (me) using their service, all the others are Thai’s.

I had a maid that did that look after cat clean house.

After 27 years serving and protecting the people I got very picky of her did my clothes.  Even the ex didn't try.

It takes me a couple of hours takingy time watching or listening to YouTube while I iron.  I find it very relaxing 

On 9/8/2024 at 9:09 AM, howto said:

GG personally I think you've gone bonkers.  

For the 30+ years I lived in Thailand, the maid or nannys(s) did  

- the washing, ironing, folding for all 5 of us, inc themselves.  

Including all the cleaning, cooking, shopping for darn near everything.     

wtf is wrong w/ you. 

Stop complaining. 

Ooooooo,i've got a maid and you haven't!

Ps,what does you wife do?

The only time I pulled out the iron in Thailand was to add reflective doodads to my walking and bike riding clothes, so I could be seen after dark.

ReflectiveShirt.jpg.cacf311d4d4d2048d362907b2513b7f1.jpg

And a few times to iron my dress shirts for a company or professional event.  For every day?  Nope.

On 9/8/2024 at 6:37 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

The main reason I ask this is....

When I lived closer to the university, I was able to take advantage of the same shop that the students used... for clothes ironing.

Normally, I would first wash my clothes and bedding, sheets, etc....

And then I would just take the stuff to the shop in order to have everything professionally steam ironed.

Now that I have moved away from the uni, I no longer have this service.

At the moment, I rely on a very small clothes iron.

Even though it might be a steam iron, yes, ...yet it doesn't get hot enough, nor put out enough steam....

To get that nice, sharp, crispness to my sheets and clothes.

In the past, I looked really sharp, having had the benefit of a real pro to help me with my pressing.

I really do miss that about not living closer to where the students live.

Therefore:

a.  How much time should one, normally, require to do one's ironing for the day?

b. Do you use a regular ironing board, which I think takes up too much space in the home?

c.  Or, do you just use your spare bed mattress, if you might have one?

You know, it is just part of normal bias that women believe that men do not care about ironing their own clothes...

To look neat.

This is not true.

Even if I might live by myself, and not see anyone, even for months...

Still, I do enjoy a well-pressed sheet, and a shirt that looks just-from-the-cleaners.

I also like keeping my house tidy.

And, if I had a vacuum cleaner, then I would use it, as well.

Sometimes I think that I spend too much time fussing with my ironing.

And, I would like to know how much ironing you do...before going out each day.

I guess everybody recalls FREDDY....such an amazing performer...who also loved to vacuum.

But, THIS Topic is not about vacuuming, and more about ironing.

IF Freddy had only lived long enough, so sadly he departed way before his time, then he might have done a music-video...

About ironing.

One of my problems is that I purchased a too-cheap clothes iron in China, when I was last there.

Just not enough heft to it.

And, not nearly enough steam.

Also, I wonder if most of you even have an iron, other than a FIVE IRON.

The 5-iron is one of the most versatile clubs one could ever find.

Just a thought....

Regards,

Gamma

NOTE4:   I LOVE this photo of Freddy....simply love it.....

image.png.b28cee5692568a9bdc5950ec5d0c6ed0.png

The thing with the mattress is absolute new and funny to me. Probably you got the special scent of that mattress on clean washed shirts again? It's a joke, isn't it? You didn't do that?

How to iron your shirts professionally you'll find out on youtube. 

Of cause I use a steam iron. Mine is made by Tefal.🤗

Gamma, if you like ironing so much, why can't you buy a nice iron that you would enjoy using. I have a 400 Baht TFal that I have been using for 14 years, and it does an excellent job. I have a nice ironing board, and I wouldn't dare leave the house without ironing my shirt and trousers and polishing my shoes. I would never be caught dead wearing flip-flops or sandals out of the house because I think all men look like sissies when they wear those God-awful things. If I wear casual shoes made from some sort of cloth, then I will use a cleaning solution and clean the exposed side of the rubbers soles so they still look like new. Men should have more respect for themselves and the way they present themselves in public. If you enjoy ironing, then what does it matter how much time it consumes in a given day? If you are in retirement, then you should have tons of time on your hands and probably nothing else more important to do with that idle time. 

Been coming to Thailand for fourteen years, lived here just over eight.
During the touristy time, neither my (now ex-) wife nor I had our clothes ironed when we dropped them off at the laundry; just washed and folded.
Even in the last eight years - I rent a floor of a house in a village -  the only ironing going on in this house was done for and then by, the landlady's daughter.  Her school uniform.  That's it.  As she moved to the city for her schooling, the daughter took the iron with her.

I make a point of buying clothes that do not require ironing.  Having done my own ironing for decades for school, and then for work until I took early retirement, why would I bother?

On 9/8/2024 at 6:47 AM, gamb00ler said:

I'm beginning to think that you shouldn't live alone.....and that you find all decisions to be somewhat traumatic.

This...  very much this IMO...  combined with a huge dose of 'attention seeking'... 

Given many questions - one has to wonder how someone gets to a ripe age when such simplistic points become questions or issues... 

3 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:
On 9/8/2024 at 9:09 AM, howto said:

GG personally I think you've gone bonkers.  

For the 30+ years I lived in Thailand, the maid or nannys(s) did  

- the washing, ironing, folding for all 5 of us, inc themselves.  

Including all the cleaning, cooking, shopping for darn near everything.     

wtf is wrong w/ you. 

Stop complaining. 

Ooooooo,i've got a maid and you haven't!

Having a maid to clean the room, wash the clothes and Iron - its not anything to brag about, its the norm - thus your response above implies a certain lack of knowledge of how things work here as part of the norm... 

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone does their own washing and ironing here when there are so many well priced services. 

3 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Ps,what does you wife do?

You think he married the maid ?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Having a maid to clean the room, wash the clothes and Iron - its not anything to brag about, its the norm - thus your response above implies a certain lack of knowledge of how things work here as part of the norm... 

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone does their own washing and ironing here when there are so many well priced services. 

You think he married the maid ?

I would,she sounds like a better catch than the wife.

Zero time ironing... though always freshly pressed...

And as to another question?? I have two Mynah birds that visit every day and often - they even come in the house to check out the dog food and poop on the floor... They are not timid and hang around the pool when I am in... we chat as well, doing my best to mimic their sounds...

I assume they are a couple - a minor Mynah and a major Mynah though they exhibit no signs of hierarchy... 

5 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Gamma, if you like ironing so much, why can't you buy a nice iron that you would enjoy using. I have a 400 Baht TFal that I have been using for 14 years, and it does an excellent job. I have a nice ironing board, and I wouldn't dare leave the house without ironing my shirt and trousers and polishing my shoes. I would never be caught dead wearing flip-flops or sandals out of the house because I think all men look like sissies when they wear those God-awful things. If I wear casual shoes made from some sort of cloth, then I will use a cleaning solution and clean the exposed side of the rubbers soles so they still look like new. Men should have more respect for themselves and the way they present themselves in public. If you enjoy ironing, then what does it matter how much time it consumes in a given day? If you are in retirement, then you should have tons of time on your hands and probably nothing else more important to do with that idle time. 

OK.  I will try.

a.  First, I will look for a neighbor with a pro-style steam iron, connected to a boiler by a hose.

b. Next, I may need to get an ironing board.  I have a nice iron, in fact.  But, it's too light-weight for my taste.  I like something heavy, with a hose connected to  a boiler, which can put out steam til the cows come home.

c.  You are right. If no neighbor, then I need to do it myself.  I also need to begin ironing my sheets and pillowcases.