Thai newlywed woman left in debt after dowry promise broken

snoop1130

I don't understand? They borrowed the 200+ k from relatives and cashed in the gold but the wedding never went ahead. So they borrowed money to pay themselves a dowry? huh? Surely they can just give the money back and buy the gold back or has it been pessed up the wall already? Why do I not feel sorry for them? If wedding arrangements already made the 28k he gave them should cover that. If her dowry was 200k I doubt it was a flash expensive wedding

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

This practice is medieval, I will never understand why so much money is spent for these weddings, that sort of money would be better spent on a house. 

This also seems to be normal in "the west" these days - at least for some people.

Like, spending a couple of monthly salaries for a wedding is "normal".

Sad.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't understand? They borrowed the 200+ k from relatives and cashed in the gold but the wedding never went ahead. So they borrowed money to pay themselves a dowry? huh? Surely they can just give the money back and buy the gold back or has it been pessed up the wall already? Why do I not feel sorry for them? If wedding arrangements already made the 28k he gave them should cover that. If her dowry was 200k I doubt it was a flash expensive wedding

I would say they borrowed the money to prevent loss of face.

Often why the dowry is so high is the cost of the meal for all the relatives and friends, normally the night before, you get 3-4 hundred people to feed that does not come cheap. 

• Like 2

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

This also seems to be normal in "the west" these days - at least for some people.

Sad.

Yeah its ridiculous. Those big formal weddings aren't even enjoyable. Long long day. Most of the guests have to kill hours during the day here and there while photos are done etc. I still miss the weddings back in the day at the local hall....women would bring food, couple of kegs for the gents and punch and wine casks for the ladies. They were a lot more fun particularly when a couple of uncles got a few too many grog's under the belt and a punch on ensued lol

• Like 1

Just now, kickstart said:

Often why the dowry is so high is the cost of the meal for all the relatives and friends, normally the night before, you get 3-4 hundred people to feed that does not come cheap. 

I must have been to 30 Thai weddings and never seen more than 100 people there, and that may be stretching it. A lot of hangers on and village drunks but more than 100 is ridiculous

People don't marry for love they marry for the dowry.. Time to end this medieval practice..And most people don't even marry for real, but only ceremonial. If they had a legal marriage things would become much different

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

It is not just the food but also the rental of staff, tables and chairs, bottles of whisky, soda, beer, water ice and soft drinks for the children. Music and a clear up crew the next day all mount up,

Sometimes you can get the drinks on (sort of) credit until they count the unopened ones for the returns, so you only pay for what is actually drunk.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sad.

I spend 500 $ on my wedding 

• Thumbs Up 1