What's the Longest Snake You've Seen, while Waltzing along City Streets in Thailand?

Dear Folks,

I still recall a giant python I saw just before the Pandemic hit.

This python was a monster.

I was sitting, one night, in the heat of the night, on the pavement (sidewalk) just outside my condo, close to the rear entrance of CMU.

This huge snake snuck up on me, and finally came to within several centimeters of me, before I noticed it.

That was the biggest shock of my entire life.

Does anybody know why it did not grab onto me, and strangle me?

I have often wondered about this question.

Giant Snakes.

Some love them, I know.

And I do not mind them, either, as long as they keep their distance.

I actually have an image of this very same snake that I captured on my NOTE4....stored....somewhere on Google Drive.

If I can find it...

I will upload it later....

It was a MONSTER, folks.

So...

Anyone here have any good City-slicker Snake stories to tell?

Best regards,

Gamma

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

7 ft Python on Soi 12 off Pattaya 2nd road, Thais were shouting about something, almost ran it over on my motorbike

sorry i had a rough night i was trying to get off the road....well part of me anyways.

• Haha 1

I don't go to Bangkok much, no more than I have to, but near my home in the mountains of Phetchabun Province, I've seen a cobra that was at least ten feet long. :crying:

And once, I was behind cars that were stopped to allow a python to cross the road, and it was longer than the two-lane road was wide. :shock1:

Edited by WDSmart
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I don't go to Bangkok much, no more than I have to, but near my home in the mountains of Phetchabun Province, I've seen a cobra that was at least ten feet long. :crying:

And once, I was behind cars that were stopped to allow a python to cross the road, and it was longer than the two-lane road was wide. :shock1:

Glad to hear this.

We need to save the snakes.

If only to kill the frogs.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

In BKK a 10-foot Cobra - told the mooban guards and they said not to worry, a boa constrictor - they went to see it and it immediately rose up to at least 5 foot tall and its hood spread out - they almost died on the spot trying to get some distance.  At home in CM - walking 3:00 AM to avoid traffic, came upon a 3-4 meter Burmese Python - had to help the guards capture it so they could take it to the mountains to be released.  When the snake opened it mouth to try to escape capture, I realized quickly that it could swallow my head easily.  I stopped walking at 3:00 AM after that morning.

It wasn't the city, but I was kayaking under the bridge on the River Kwai when I came on a coiled up snake that was easily as long as my 14' kayak. 

I couldn't tell if it was coiled around something it was going to eat, or coiled up because it just got run over by a longtail boat.  Seeing it writhing in the clear water (and me right on the water in a tiny boat) spooked me from getting a closer look.  Sucker was huge. 

The largest I've seen was a blackish colored hooded snake that was slithering across the road....I evidently came too close & it turned it's head & flashed it's hood towards me....

A more intimidating happenstance was a water monitor that crossed in front of me on a rural road....It raised it's head to sniff & the head came up to the headlight height on my Pajero....It was a big one.....The next biggest water monitor was about 4-5ft & dashed across the street & under a house while I was on a bicycle ride...

Don't like'm.. 

I know this does not seem like much.

But, it was a lot bigger than what it looks here, captured on my NOTE4.

These are very powerful creatures.

image.jpeg.7e2fccb3b95842aac7ec92e0fcb58185.jpeg

Also, they are very docile ones, too.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've seen a number in BK over the years. Nothing big, just beautiful green ones that come up out of the drains in rainy season or out of a garden with trees. 

Sadly a few dead ones by the side of the road after being hit by a bike or car. 

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Anyone here have any good City-slicker Snake stories to tell

I was riding down a narrow country road many years ago with the gf pillion, came across a Cobra standing at attention.

I made a quick diversion to go around, very scary 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

The largest I've seen was a blackish colored hooded snake that was slithering across the road....I evidently came too close & it turned it's head & flashed it's hood towards me....

A more intimidating happenstance was a water monitor that crossed in front of me on a rural road....It raised it's head to sniff & the head came up to the headlight height on my Pajero....It was a big one.....The next biggest water monitor was about 4-5ft & dashed across the street & under a house while I was on a bicycle ride...

Don't like'm.. 

Ai Hia.

I was driving into SCB bank's ATM entrance on Asoke (near Asoke Tower Condominium) when I saw this 'beast' python progressing down the drive away from Asoke (toward the khlong or the drainage ditch).  I was shocked, it 'must' have just passed the security's booth nearer to Asoke or come out of one of the rain drains.  My estimate...4.25-5 mtrs long.  It was big.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I don't dance the Waltz in the streets, that would look stupid....................................:giggle:

Exactly, waltzing would be crass

The polka more in keeping...

image.png.bbb79ee035e9f9fde118f469c28ba2a1.png

• Haha 1

In the city, ~12ft python along canal road. Ran over a ~16ft python, maybe bigger and it was fat, on my bike @ 1am in morning heading north on the cm 700 road in the thasala area, going to fast to stop or swerve, stood up on the pegs and hammered down and kept going. Other than that, seen quite a few snakes slithering in the city mostly during the night and mostly just see the tail end slithering off into some cover.

36 minutes ago, 2long said:

January 2020, the old fella (my neighbour) and I caught this!!image.png.60af1f9615637e7953a6214a8445e259.png

So, did you make soup with it like they do in Taiwan?

Yes, it is almost 2long, but not quite.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 9/10/2024 at 10:06 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

I still recall a giant python I saw just before the Pandemic hit.

This python was a monster.

I was sitting, one night, in the heat of the night, on the pavement (sidewalk) just outside my condo, close to the rear entrance of CMU.

This huge snake snuck up on me, and finally came to within several centimeters of me, before I noticed it.

Giant Snakes.

Some love them, I know.

And I do not mind them, either, as long as they keep their distance.

I actually have an image of this very same snake that I captured on my NOTE4....stored....somewhere on Google Drive.

If I can find it...

I will upload it later....

It was a MONSTER, folks.

So...

Anyone here have any good City-slicker Snake stories to tell?

Best regards,

Gamma

Sorry can't dance 

• Haha 1

Most often when cycling, roadkill about 1m, two weeks ago I biked over a live one, rat snake about 1.5m may have given it mild backache.

There's two water monitors in our wild pond area I think they eat snakes? Rare to see one on our property.

Largest I've seen, don't know variety, was I'd estimate 2.5-3m, car ahead of us stopped abruptly and could see the snake was near the width of the traffic lane.

On 9/10/2024 at 9:06 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

If your a fat fook then it probably thought you would be to big to digest

• Haha 1