Tuk-Tuk Driver Arrested for Stealing from American Tourist

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Upon reaching the destination, Viafore handed over a 1,000-baht note. Instead of returning change, Boonlert sped off with the money and the tourist’s luggage, which contained valuable items.

The stolen items included a U.S. passport, $500 in cash (approximately 18,000 baht), jewelry, Ray-Ban sunglasses, and other personal belongings, reported Thai Rath.

After the incident, police reviewed CCTV footage along the escape route and discovered that the tuk-tuk used fake license plates.

Life time ban, confiscate his Tuk Tuk

2 years on probation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Life time ban, confiscate his Tuk Tuk

2 years on probation.

Hehe you are funny. Lifetime ban means he will be on the streets robbing more tourists tomorrow. Confiscate his Tuktuk? Nowhere in the OP said it was his and it already had fake plates on it. Meaning it could be stolen or borrowed just as easily. 2 years probation? How will they keep track of him? Do you think he will be given a leg bracelet for this crime so they can make sure he reports and does his probation without violating any more laws? This is Thailand.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On August 30, James Anthony Viafore, the tourist, boarded Boonlert’s tuk-tuk near Phaya Thai BTS station and agreed to a 500-baht fare to Soi Mangkon in the Chakkrawat district.

First robbery

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

Hehe you are funny. Lifetime ban means he will be on the streets robbing more tourists tomorrow. Confiscate his Tuktuk? Nowhere in the OP said it was his and it already had fake plates on it. Meaning it could be stolen or borrowed just as easily. 2 years probation? How will they keep track of him? Do you think he will be given a leg bracelet for this crime so they can make sure he reports and does his probation without violating any more laws? This is Thailand.

The Tuk Tuk was used in the act of a crime, irrelevant of the owner it's confiscated.

2 hours ago, NicoBKK said:

First robbery

Paying 500 Bt for a tuk tuk ride that'd be less than 100 Bt by taxi and then expecting the tuk tuk driver to change a 1000 Bt note leads me to believe the tourist is not all there.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Waiting for, 'Good hearted taxi driver returns 10,000,000bt to forgetful tourist '.🫡🫡

That's 10 million baht ....   well,  that'll be along soon I guess.   Those taxi drivers are so honest.

• Love It 1

I wonder why go off the Tuk Tuk and leave bag, money and sunglasses while paying? I usually take my things down when go off. That way he could only have gotten 1000 baht, but that would have been okay. Anybody stupid enough to agree to 500 baht for such trip should lose a 1000.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1