Don’t kill the golden goose! Tax reforms may drive away expats

webfact

6 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

16 extensions and all by the book, pay tax in the UK on my 3 small pensions, so they want to tax me again, unfortunately I'm not in the position to leave so I will have to do what they decide to do in the future, doubt I would be able to afford 2 tax bills.

Just done my new extension so I'm okay untill 2025.

I don't have any bank accounts in the UK only Thailand.

Basically you have burnt your bridges, it was your decision 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

How would they identify YOUR bank accounts in a foreign country?

Bob Smith in Thailand could be any of 10,000 Bob Smith in the UK.

As we have no ID cards in the UK.

I agree that it would be very difficult and far too much work.

But - it can be done if they really want to do it - I think it would go something like this.

All remittances into Thai Banks will be reported to TRD - probably by BOT - maybe by each bank too.

That information can be sorted based on Passport/ID number.

That information can then be collated and checked to give total amounts remitted for each person.

That information can then be checked against tax returns - Yes or No.

They can then get the information about each person with a 'No' who totalled over X Baht per year in remittances.

For Thais they check with (Dept?) against the ID number for details.

For Expats they check with Immigration against the Passport numbers.

Then they could send letter asking 'why no tax return'.

But will they go through all that work? Do they have the resources and expertise? Who knows.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

This change to the tax laws is not aimed at you or other paranoid foreigners, you are collateral damage and nothing more, get over yourselves, you're not that important to the Thai economy. Some foreigners seem to think they are one of 300,000 rich people living in a jungle of 70 million poor people which is not even close to reality.

I don't know where you live, maybe in Lumpini, but that's not what I see where I live.

Maybe you mean to say that this tax is reserved for rich Thais and at least the Chinese middle class ?

Then this is the joke of the day

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

but a lot ....

No, not a lot, in my opinion.  Certainly nobody I know would fit that description.   They might be more noticeable than other ex-pats going about their business in less visible areas but that is perception, not reality.  My Thai spouse and I live in a new housing estate on the Darkside of Pattaya, one of a very large number of housing estates that have sprung up, and are continuing to be built here in booming Pattaya. 

Of the 30 homes in my housing project, in the 10MB range, almost all have at least one ex-pat in residence.   It was the same in the two previous housing projects that we lived at before this one.  Are we visible, on display?  Nope.  Nobody sees or notices us.  Only those down-and-out sad sack ex-pats seem to get noticed and commented on.  But, for every one of those, there are dozens more living in out-of-sight housing estates or in one of the numerous high-end condo projects that have been built, and, like the housing projects, are also still being built, to handle the demand.  

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

Imagine long-term visas being henceforth denied to those who stay less than 180 days per year because they can't  by definition come up with a tax clearance. Some unexpected consequence that would be!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:
7 hours ago, topt said:

Suggest you guys read up on CRS - Common reporting Standards

Here is a link from a bank to start you off

https://www.crs.hsbc.com/en/frequently-asked-questions

Yes, everyone needs to read this. No point in bleating. The Thai government having signed up - along with over 100 other governments - it now needs to at least go thru the motions ...

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Merely IMO, but they will (probably) go through the motions, ask a few questions, then find a reason excuse not to continue.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Are we not past that date already?

Its a pity proof reading not carried out in a lot of these stories.

The new regulations have started but nothing can be done until after the tax year ends in Dec, and it will be some time after that before any fallout will be seen, although some may go looking for it early Jan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harryviking said:

How can they even think about taxing people that are not even citizens of Thailand? Will they in that case receive free healthcare like Thais?? Will they receive a Thai passport if they so chose to have one? If the answer is "NO", these people should be fired as they must have smoked something strong lately!  😫😫

Their country so they can do whatever they want especially when it comes to expats

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Maybe I am understanding this the wrong way, but what has double taxation to do with this? If tax is due, for any reason, in another country, I understand Thailand will not apply tax on that income as it´s already paid. Tax on worldwide income, to me, sounds like they want to delete the possibility to earn money in Spain while in Thailand, and place it in your home country bank to get away from tax if you stay over 180 days in Thailand.

yeah, that is true but too many people have been avoiding paying taxes on their income to any country, thus the OECD agreement to try to catch those people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sig said:

You are free to believe what you like from the mass media. Notice that they never told you how many billions US folks lost on the NYSE? Notice that they didn't define who those people were... I can pretty much guarantee you that they were idiot traders who are among the 90%+ of traders who lose their money. In other words, they are not the people who have been invested in Bitcoin. Their stat is a manipulation to support their narrative. In 2023, Bitcoin went up 156%! How do people lose billions in a bull market like that?? Gold and the Dow Jones, in the same time period went up about 13%. The S&P performed better, but still VERY far from Bitcoin, at nearly 24%. Billions upon billions are not being poured into bitcoin by ETFs and other billionaires, like Larry Fink (Blackrock), for no reason.
But there's a narrative and the mass media is sticking to it. Any guess why? There are definitely reasons.
Even Goldman Sachs has admitted that Bitcoin/Crypto has outperformed stocks, massively. But, for one reason or another, they still believe that in the long-term, gold will outperform crypto. They didn't give any confidence in stock. Since 2020, crypto has outperformed gold by 40%! and the S&P by 59%! Those are not small numbers and not over a small volatile time period. But believe what you like, it's a free world (not really...).
The US News might not make it "sound that attractive" to you, but you would be much better off to invest your money (and ideas/opinions) through your own research than by manipulative media doing the same old thing they always do. I'm glad I didn't listen to their narrative back in 2018... up about 800% so far... And cashed out some other coins for short term that did even better, but wouldn't recommend other coins to anyone other than people who have been in it for a while and understand it well.

Never considered the markets either, just too ignorant of all the ins and outs.  I had a great job, well paid and now have a great retirement income.  Can provide easily for my family and if I croak sooner then they will still receive annuity without any problems.  I do wish everyone luck in whatever they decide what they want to do except for those who just want to have some government give them free bennies without them having to pay anything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

They just realize this??? It is normal to see what they are doing and the impact of things when it is too late.. and than they want to turn it back which will never be able.. Tourism they have broken down several years ago already and look how they struggle to get it resolved now.. Now the tax is again a problem that they first do and when the expats and  retirees are gone they realize they had made a mistake but they can't correct it anymore and so there are many many other things they do by not proper investigation and thinking of consequences... I know several sold their house already and left the country and more will follow as i hear in the expat community last week... Myself I am considering too what to do 

Due to the lousy education there is no rational thought enabling clear thinking and forward planning. Everything is just trial and error. 

Edited by SunsetT

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How would they identify YOUR bank accounts in a foreign country?

Bob Smith in Thailand could be any of 10,000 Bob Smith in the UK.

As we have no ID cards in the UK.

The whole rhetoric of everyone seeing everyones business is getting out of hand. It is not a question of them(TRD) being able to identify your accounts somewhere else.

The banks in other countries have a legal obligation to report accounts to another tax jurisdiction if it appears an account they hold belongs to someone who is a tax resident in that jurisdiction.

If they decide to report an account, the information they provide is quite limited, mainly account value and any income credited. 

What is a bit vague is "how", as you suggest, they will identify the accounts. In the UK I think the NI number could be seen as a TIN, but I can't see how anyone in Thailand would know that.

Each participating country will annually automatically exchange with the other country the below information in the case of Jurisdiction A with respect to each Jurisdiction B reportable account, and in the case of Jurisdiction B with respect to each Jurisdiction A reportable account:[16]

1. Name, address, Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and date and place of birth of each Reportable Person.
  2. Account number
  3. Name and identifying number of the reporting financial institution;
  4. Account balance or value as of the end of the relevant calendar year (or other appropriate reporting period) or at its closure, if the account was closed.
  5. Distributions made to the account (dividends, interest, gross proceeds/redemptions, other)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Reporting_Standard#:~:text=The Common Reporting Standard (CRS,is to combat tax evasion.
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

That 3% is not being chased off, AN polls have already confirmed that less than 5% of of members will leave as a result of the tax rule change. There's a lot of chest beating on this issue by foreigners but that's just noise. Most have either not done their sums on this or are just making noise out of frustration and anger. Younger guys who are highly mobile may reverse an earlier decision to live here but so what. The settled guys with homes and families here  aren't going anywhere, neither are the pensioners. 

I am thinking there can be no valid poll until the factual basis for the question asked can be ascertained. Right now it is speculation as to what will happen, if at all. It will certainly depend on the actual result with me after being here 13 years as an American. However, the worse case scenario, if absolute double taxation on worldwide income (as I am already conforming to USA worldwide income tax regulations as a citizen), would most certainly mean my removal. But that is just me, I make to prediction as to what others may chose to do. I did my homework before determining to spend my retirement income in Thailand, being a free individual I am free to move to another country. Oh, my Thai Wife?  We have discussed the issue ... she is ready to go. I croak? She is such that she would deal with staying or returning to Thailand when the fact presents itself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1